PDA

View Full Version : Predator Hunting tips

Sitkaspruce
12-12-2014, 10:35 AM
The season is over and now I am thinking about heading out to chase some predators.

I am complete nubie when it comes to coyotes, so I am looking for some tips/hints. I will be hunting the Peace country and the hunting will be either in open cut lines/brush or open fields if I can find permission. This year I have seen a ton of coyotes, some wolf sign and we have lots of rabbits and lynx around.

I already have the gun, a Ruger American in 22-250 and will be getting it sited in and shooting in the next week or so.

What else do I need;

- for calls?
- for camo? Needed??
- anything else??

Thanks

Cheers

SS

lone wolf
12-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Camo yes , I have needed to pack both green and snow lately due to meltage in some areas I always cover my face and hands , and i use a stadium seat to sit on , might as well be comfy . I use a foxpro spitfire but you can get away with rabbit distress , mouse squeaker , and hot dog but takes some practice , i always hunt the sign , be patient i have had some come in under 2 mins and today took 45 mins . Dont be moving around much , and if you see 1 you can move a little only when he moves to get better aim Wolftracker also has a lot of great info and help and a contest . They are a small body under a lot of fur , few other posts on tips in here , not sure how to dig them up .

swampthing
12-12-2014, 06:45 PM
I have had my best success by doing lots of driving and looking for coyotes way off. Don't stop when you spot one or it will spook. As you drive off plan a stalk using the wind and cover. You may get close enough for a shot or you may have to call him in. On that note, they usually come in where you are not expecting them. I hunted yotes a lot when I was in kamloops in the open sagebrush country. I don't even try in the jungle called PG. The peace should be decent. Have fun.

mod7rem
12-12-2014, 07:16 PM
I'm looking to do the same thing as Sitkaspruce and I'd like to know what you predator hunters do with the coyotes? Is there any market for the fur, do you leave them where they drop? I want to try and get a lynx for a mount and I have read that lynx meat is quite good but unsure what to do with coyotes if/when I get any. I was thinking if a guy took the fur, the coyote meat could always be frozen in buckets of water for bait set ups possibly for wolves.