PDA

View Full Version : Dog breeds and 2014 hunt

Heffernan89
12-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Hey everyone

Just thought I would post some picture of my 2014 hunt (first season in bc) I was able to be successful witch is the important thing. I shot a small white tail buck harvesting around 40-50 lbs of meat (yes I know small deer) and a few coyotes that interrupted a hunt for me. I attached some pictures hopefully they work. update: apparently the picture I have already loaded to the time took up all my kb space and I cant figure out how to delete them.

Secondly, I would like to ask for some advice on dog breed, I have put a lot of thought into this and I decided that it about time I get serious about this. Currently I am leaning towered a German short hair pointer. the main reason is this will also be my "buddy" I always had dog growing up and enjoy them being in the house. I also want a hunting partner, I've seen on a few forums here about gsp being a great all around dog as in it can retrieve, point and the main thing I am starting to get interested in bloodtrail. I have never had a hunting dog and will be attending classes and dedicating a lot of time into learning and training. SO I guess the main question is should I be considering any other breed? also is there any kettles anyone can recommend? ANY advice will help.

thank for your time

rides bike to work
12-11-2014, 10:27 PM
Sounds like you had a good season. I just spent 8 great years with my gsp marley unfortunately he past from a ruptured spleen tumor out of no where.
I bought him because of the reasons you listed pointing blood trailing and retrieving. Pointing came naturally and really retrieving did to but opportunities were few around the valley. He retrieved ducks well and was a natural at finding a game trail. He was a very high energy dog and needed to be worked daily at least 2hrs. I did not train him to his full potential in one specific field which I wish I had.He wa sa great dog but because of lack of opportunity to hunt him on point often for my next dog I will probably lean toward a retrieving and blood trailing dog mabey lab or cur dog or a cross mutt type.The drive in a gsp is strong so if you can provide work for them they will do it but me with 2 little kids at home a calmer breed is more for me.note marley was amazing with kids.just don't train him with a wing on a fishing rod to point if you ever expecting to go fishing with him. Big mistake by me .

Heffernan89
12-11-2014, 10:47 PM
well it nice to hear the positive review and I am a pretty high energy person so I think it will be a good fit, I am young with no kids so that a plus as well. where did you get your gsp?.... any good dvd/book I should grab to help with training??

Foxton Gundogs
12-11-2014, 10:59 PM
I'm slightly biased but If you want a laid back gundog/buddy go with a Golden from good field bred stock. If something smaller is for you the a Field Bred Springer. But what ever you get do your homework go with a reputable breeder, make sure all the tests and clearances and health tests are done on sire and dam and the breeder offers a good functional guarantee. Good Luck have fun

Heffernan89
12-11-2014, 11:08 PM
thanks foxton gundogs I will look into the bred right now!

Heffernan89
12-11-2014, 11:12 PM
can springer blood trail? haven't seen any evidence of it but look like a great dog I need to consider

kurtl
12-11-2014, 11:13 PM
I have suggested it before, but no one seems to listen to me LOL. I have a GSP and I also have an Airedale terrier. I was watching the New Westminster dog show last year, and they actually said that the Airedale terrier was one of the best hunting dogs but it wasn't commonly known. I took up hunting this year, and have been working with both of my dogs. I can tell you (very much to my surprise) that my Airedale is a much better retriever and hunting dog than my GSP. He is also a better dog around kids and other people in a "calmer not get in your face kind of way." Don't get me wrong, I love my GSP too, but if you want a better 'all around dog' I would say it's the Airedale. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Kurt

Ranger95
12-12-2014, 06:37 AM
There is a very good reason that every game farm / guide / outfitter in Southern Africa owns a Jack Russel terrier - and believe me - it's not for lion bait!

I don't bellieve that there is a better breed for blood spooring a wounded animal - I've seen them run on two day old tracks - just don't expect it to fetch you downed birds or geese.....:lol:

tadpole
12-12-2014, 08:02 AM
There is a very good reason that every game farm / guide / outfitter in Southern Africa owns a Jack Russel terrier - and believe me - it's not for lion bait!

I don't bellieve that there is a better breed for blood spooring a wounded animal - I've seen them run on two day old tracks - just don't expect it to fetch you downed birds or geese.....:lol:

JRT could be a hell on wheels.
My hunting buddy owns a jack Russel terrier. This is one crazy dog that removed grout from floor tiles on the kitchen floor. Beware what you get.
What about Pudlepointer as versatile dog? Does anybody know any local breeders?

northernhunter
12-12-2014, 08:29 AM
I have a yellow lab, use him for packing in on hunts. Is also used for retrieving ducks and geese, he is good on a blood trail also helped me retrieve my moose a few years ago. There is no pointing of course though when bird hunting only retrieving. He is a big male about 90- 100 pounds, loves being in the bush and good with people. As with most dogs train them the way you want them to be when young and you'll have an awesome companion and hunting dog

Foxtail
12-12-2014, 10:51 AM
A German Wirehaired Pointer may be better suited for the hunting around here... I would also look at a German Hunt(Jagdterrier) Terrier(possibly the coolest dog breed ever) Just a few more options for you to look at.

Cami
12-12-2014, 11:51 AM
A German Wirehaired Pointer may be better suited for the hunting around here... I would also look at a German Hunt(Jagdterrier) Terrier(possibly the coolest dog breed ever) Just a few more options for you to look at.

I would say GWP would be the better option for a first time hunting dog.
The Jagdterrier are driven little buggers but i would not call em a house and field dog.
I got a GWP and he is awesome, he help me find a lost deer this year.

GWP can do it all except tunnel work :smile:

Phil
12-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Have you heard of or considered a Lagotto Romagnolo? Great dogs, love the water and a good nose. There are a few local breaders.

Foxton Gundogs
12-12-2014, 02:58 PM
can springer blood trail? haven't seen any evidence of it but look like a great dog I need to consider
Although not what they are bred for they have a great nose, I have 2 in law enforcement/security as detection dogs. I would say with the right training they could trail almost anything.

Heffernan89
12-16-2014, 03:23 PM
alright everyone sorry it took me a bit to get back to everyone, I work 12hr days so I don't use my computer really until my days off. I have spent my day doing some research, and have narrowed it down to 2 bred I think the springer and the gsp. I have concern and question about both bred..

Springer-
- from what I read this dog will not point to game, you must watch him carefully to ensure he doesn't flush when your not ready.
- is a little smaller witch may be a benefit for me at this part in my life and also if I understand it correctly doesn't need to be run as long as a gsp
- has longer hair witch I think is a disadvantage (clean up ) and isn't a Water-Repellent.

German Short Hair Pointer
- Able to point to game and hold until owner give instruction
- Water-Repellent coat with short hair easy clean up
- larger dog about 5 lbs heaver on avg
- Energy for days and need to be run hard everyday

I cant find good info on how trainable these two are in comparison to each other. all it says is both are trainable, and both bred can do job out of there ordinary role fairy well ie blood trailing. also that both are good for family and kid who are loyal to the owner. My only real concern about the gsp is it energy level and my only real concern with the springer is the no pointing thing. I really wish I had more experience working with dog to make a more educated choice but hey we all start somewhere..

thanks everyone for the info

FirePower
12-16-2014, 03:55 PM
alright everyone sorry it took me a bit to get back to everyone, I work 12hr days so I don't use my computer really until my days off. I have spent my day doing some research, and have narrowed it down to 2 bred I think the springer and the gsp. I have concern and question about both bred..

Springer-
- from what I read this dog will not point to game, you must watch him carefully to ensure he doesn't flush when your not ready.
- is a little smaller witch may be a benefit for me at this part in my life and also if I understand it correctly doesn't need to be run as long as a gsp
- has longer hair witch I think is a disadvantage (clean up ) and isn't a Water-Repellent.

German Short Hair Pointer
- Able to point to game and hold until owner give instruction
- Water-Repellent coat with short hair easy clean up
- larger dog about 5 lbs heaver on avg
- Energy for days and need to be run hard everyday

I cant find good info on how trainable these two are in comparison to each other. all it says is both are trainable, and both bred can do job out of there ordinary role fairy well ie blood trailing. also that both are good for family and kid who are loyal to the owner. My only real concern about the gsp is it energy level and my only real concern with the springer is the no pointing thing. I really wish I had more experience working with dog to make a more educated choice but hey we all start somewhere..

thanks everyone for the info

In answer your points on Springers. You are correct the do not point they are a flushing dog, in that respect they have their advantages especially with phesants whos "sit and run" tactics can drive a pointing to the brink of distraction. As for unsteadyness it is no more a problem than any unsteady dog, an unsteady pointer will chase after the flush just as much as a flushing dog. I know many, uncluding myself who hunt their Spaniels as small water retrievers and no isues with their coats especially with the now standard practise of using neoprene vests by almost all water fowl hunters on their dogs. As Foxton noted they have an exceptional nose and can track anyting with the correct training. As far as size most field bred Springers average between 30 nad 45 lbs, I believe GSP would go at least 20 lbs heavier. I have been associated with many breeds of shooting dogs through out my life time but in my mind the Springers are the best all around sporting dog there is.