PDA

View Full Version : Father Son Hunt

Phil
12-11-2014, 11:08 AM
I took my youngest son out hunting this fall. We managed to cut a few tags to commemorate the trip. This was my son’s first trip where he was allowed to carry a rifle on his own. Handing over the responsibility was nerve racking at first but he soon adapted and proved he could handle a firearm. He is 11 and loves to hunt, has great patients and gets why it is important to be persistent in the ugliest of conditions.
We separated at one point so my boy could walk by himself; all the while I was listening with a mindful ear for a gun shot and staying close behind to keep an eye on him. I heard two shots, both from his gun and later discovered that both missed clean. I found him crying in anger and disappointment that he missed. Inside I was giggling with joy that he had the balls to load his rifle and take two shots. He admitted later that he took the second shot while the deer was on the move. Lofty aspirations for an 11 year old but I couldn’t help being proud.
We found a second doe the next day while hunting grouse. We were attempting to stay out the rain under the tree canopy. While walking back to our ATV with a handful of grouse we spotted a doe looking at us through the brush. One shot by Sam to the boiler room and the rest is history.
My buck came in the day before while transitioning from one area to another. It was 165 yard shot to the neck with a 243 lever. My boy watched eagerly through his binoculars while I took aim. One shot to the neck dropped him in his tracks. “Great shot Dad!”. It was a bit of a struggle dragging the buck out but an experience that has to shared with father and son at least once.
There is so much more to share about this hunt, including our encounters with moose and wolves but to make a long story short, here are a few pictures.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_08041.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_08081.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_08001.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_07971.JPG

BCHunterFSJ
12-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Thanks for posting! My own sons are now in their thirties, but I still remember their first hunts...

hunter1947
12-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Nice to see thanks for sharing your story pic ,,congrats to the two of you..

moosinaround
12-11-2014, 11:51 AM
And that right there is why you start your children as soon as they can walk, into the hunting lifestyle!! Learn early that our food comes from the earth, not a store! A fine job Phil, a moment to cherish and be proud of!! Well done! Moosin

albravo2
12-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Great story! Good for the two of you.

natebavis
12-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Awesome phil. If only I listened to you more when you taught me in grade 8 maybe i would shoot a 4 pt one day. Great that he went for little walk on his own. My nephew is 12 and got his first deer this year too. Region 5/2 c. Nate

Liveforthehunt
12-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Just a friendly reminder kid can't walk without you in presence while holding a gun he needs his pal as well as over 18 maybe ?

Phil
12-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Just a friendly reminder kid can't walk without you in presence while holding a gun he needs his pal as well as over 18 maybe ?

Thanks for the reminder. Well within a safe and legal distance.

300magman
12-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Great story! I love taking my 5yr old and can't wait until he's old enough to pull the trigger himself. Congrats to both of u on a couple fine deer and the memories made!

P.J.
12-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Congratulations on successful hunts. I agree you have to start your children out early. When i was ten i got my core, so my dad did not have to cut his tags for me, thoughtful, but the year following I got my first Mule buck, and the next year first bull moose. Here is to next year for you and your son.

Brno22F
12-11-2014, 03:17 PM
this brings back great memories. Thanks for posting.
Both my sons are 30-ish now. We have shared some great hunting experiences over the years. It is always the highlight of my year when we get together for a hunt, whether for just a weekend or several days.

swampthing
12-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Great stuff. Raisin my boy, who is 19 now, to be a successful hunter is one of my biggest accomplishments in life so far. Watchin him head off on his own and return later with a backpack full of deer puts a pretty big grin on my face. You have lotsa fun ahead of you and great job dad.

HuntNmemories
12-12-2014, 12:37 AM
thanks for sharing the pics and story. looks like your son is enjoying himself and yourself with your buck too!!

coach
12-12-2014, 12:52 AM
Great stuff, Phil! Getting kids out hunting and appreciating nature is what it's all about. Congratulations on two fine deer!

Tīɡ
12-12-2014, 01:23 AM
That's awesome to see, congrats you two!

Phil
12-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Thanks HBCers. I appreciate your positive comments.

Blainer
12-13-2014, 06:58 AM
Great accomplishment on many fronts.
Memories last a life time and a big congratulations to the young fella.
Fantastic share Phil.

kennyj
12-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Congratulations on a couple of fine animals. Looks like you've got a hunting partner for life.
kenny

boilerroom
12-13-2014, 10:13 AM
congrats to the both of you!

br