PDA

View Full Version : End of HUNT -------

greybark
12-10-2014, 10:02 PM
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab283/greybark111/EndofHunt.jpg

Well after two weeks in Rock Ck for the late WT archery season it came down to a last lowering of my Longbow .
The hunt started out with an overnight 2 foot snowfall and then down to minus 30 C . My max due to medical and sanity reasons as minus 20 C . I was fortunate to have several nice WT`s under me including a nice 3 pointer but a grand old 5 point that I wanted thru the use of cover eluded me in spite of being only 15 yards away .
The thrill of this hunt was Jeff`s succesful harvest of a majestic 5 pointer with a Longbow and wood arrows . In spite of many WT hunts this was his first Buck ever and to say the least He deserved it . During the -30c thing he left his bow at his treestand as he was to frozen to carry it .
Congratulations Jeff , Well Done
Cheers

coach
12-10-2014, 10:08 PM
A tree stand in -30? Now that's hardcore!! Congratulations to the successful hunter. Hoping there's gonna be some pics of the buck.

blaker_99
12-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Glad to see a few more of us out there using the traditional stick. Sounds like a great harvest

greybark
12-10-2014, 10:20 PM
A tree stand in -30? Now that's hardcore!! Congratulations to the successful hunter. Hoping there's gonna be some pics of the buck.

Hey Coach , I`m sure Jeff will post pics when he decompresses . LOL .
Years ago when much younger I spent a few minus 40 C in a stand , had to use sleeping bag up in the stand . During this cold weather this 75 year old chose to visit other camps for appropreate beverages .
When the hunt is over it`s a mixture of being glad to get the hell out of here and damn just one more day , thats what the photo is suposed to represent ....
Cheers

First Up
12-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Well Greybark I have nearly decompressed. The tips of my thumbs are still numb.
My goal prior to the hunt was to see a buck from the stand. Well that was more than surpassed. Arrowing a fine 5 point is not only the result of literally thousands of practice shots at 3D targets and enduring temperatures that one would question if I was crazy, it is also the result of listening to someone who has the knowledge to take whitetail bucks. The Pope and Young edition I currently own has only 4 whitetail's from B.C. among literally thousands. Greybark has two of them. While I sat in the stand shivering at temperatures only a polar bear could love, I asked myself "when does the fun start?"but I persevered sitting in the morning, going back to thaw and to see Greybark brewing Gary's special coffee mixed with just the right amount of Caroline's. A couple hours of rest and warming to -17C inside the camper I went back to the stand and waited; asking myself again" when does the fun start?", "This is frickin' cold!!". Well the fun started as soon as I seen him coming down the trail towards me. Yes, I got the nice 5X5 but a large part of the success is contributed to the man who taught me how to shoot and led me the way. This mentor has given me a second life; a life shooting a traditional bow and I wouldn't have it any other way.Thank you, Greybark.
I just can't wait for next year to do it all over again! Ask me where I'm hunting, it's section 8. LOL!
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah25/firstup1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb7d0ea9f.jpg

kennyj
12-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Way to stick with it! Great buck!
kenny

Blockcaver
12-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Congrats! Looks like BC might have another P&Y entry!

Ironbutt
12-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Congratulations, very nice wt buck.

Liveforthehunt
12-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Good job congrats it takes some serious patience to bow hunt and with a traditional very impressive I have met your mentor at a shoot or 2 and you should take up every bit of information you can. Should be lucky he took you into that spot ;) .

Foxtail
12-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Way to go Jeff. Beautiful animal. You guys are a lot tougher than me. I can't sit still in weather that cold. I would love to go for a stalk out there though.

coach
12-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Great buck! Congratulations. You're more of a man than me.. Ha ha.. I at least need a blind with a heater.

albravo2
12-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Great buck. Great mentorship story. Good for you and good for greybark.

greybark
12-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Well Greybark I have nearly decompressed. The tips of my thumbs are still numb.
My goal prior to the hunt was to see a buck from the stand. Well that was more than surpassed. Arrowing a fine 5 point is not only the result of literally thousands of practice shots at 3D targets and enduring temperatures that one would question if I was crazy, it is also the result of listening to someone who has the knowledge to take whitetail bucks. The Pope and Young edition I currently own has only 4 whitetail's from B.C. among literally thousands. Greybark has two of them. While I sat in the stand shivering at temperatures only a polar bear could love, I asked myself "when does the fun start?"but I persevered sitting in the morning, going back to thaw and to see Greybark brewing Gary's special coffee mixed with just the right amount of Caroline's. A couple hours of rest and warming to -17C inside the camper I went back to the stand and waited; asking myself again" when does the fun start?", "This is frickin' cold!!". Well the fun started as soon as I seen him coming down the trail towards me. Yes, I got the nice 5X5 but a large part of the success is contributed to the man who taught me how to shoot and led me the way. This mentor has given me a second life; a life shooting a traditional bow and I wouldn't have it any other way.Thank you, Greybark.
I just can't wait for next year to do it all over again! Ask me where I'm hunting, it's section 8. LOL!
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah25/firstup1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb7d0ea9f.jpg

This pic really does not show the size and character of the rack . It has been green scored and is a mere 1 1/2 points from makeing the P&Y book .
I must point out that it was Jeffs determination and toughness that made his hunt so succesfull , all I did was provide a little bit of direction . The effort was all his and his Birthday is to-day , a great birthday gift .
Cheers

Walksalot
12-12-2014, 07:12 AM
Nice buck, well done.

jrjonesy
12-12-2014, 09:14 AM
Great buck! Congratulations!

300H&H
12-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Congratulations First Up, nice CV buck.
Good on you greybark for the mentor-ship.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-12-2014, 12:26 PM
-30C is hardcore!! Got the chills just thinking about it!

Congrats on a great stick and string buck!!

I use my coleman catalytic heater while in the blind but I also use it in the treestand as well. Makes for schvetty balls and frozen shoulders...but it sure helps to take the edge off.

Congrats again!

SSS

greybark
12-13-2014, 03:30 AM
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab283/greybark111/JeffsDeerandmyKnife.jpg?t=1418466054

This photo better demonstrates the quality of Jeff`s deer . Some may recognize the knife as in the "The Gift" thread awhile back .
Jeff is going to taxi the deer and will do it himself .
Cheers

HarryToolips
12-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Whoa nice buck way to stay out there in the cold Congrats!

Beaverhunter
12-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Nice buck good work!

Mallardman23
12-14-2014, 08:29 AM
great deer Jeff, good to see you still have your fingers and toes, it would be hard to drive forklift without them lol . Cant wait to try your deer jerky .

Riverbc
12-14-2014, 09:08 AM
Nice!!!!!!

dogger
12-14-2014, 11:08 AM
Sweet deer. Well done.

Tīɡ
12-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Sounds like a very memorable trip! Awesome deer!

Clint_S
12-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Beauty buck, congrats.

greybark
12-18-2014, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE=greybark;1573904]http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab283/greybark111/EndofHunt.jpg

Two tips here on Treestand use
First notice the maximum comfortable distance between the Seat and Foot platforms . This places you in a 3/4 standing position and presents ease and minimal movement went standing for a Deer . It can also help elimate any cold weather noise associated with weight transfer on platforms.
Secondly , get an umbrella that is ment for this . Works well with keeping you dry and warm , your arrow feathers dry and also provides some distraction as a background .
Cheers
Cheers

gutpile
12-18-2014, 11:36 PM
Do you leave your treestand up the hole time, not worried about someone
using it or even taking it ?
I was going to go up to Rockcreek in the late season for bow but just didn't have
the money for gas this time , to bad !

WestbankRye
12-19-2014, 08:22 AM
Nice deer! Way to stick it out in the cold!

greybark
12-19-2014, 10:12 AM
Do you leave your treestand up the hole time, not worried about someone
using it or even taking it ?
I was going to go up to Rockcreek in the late season for bow but just didn't have
the money for gas this time , to bad !

Hey Gutpile , years ago I worried about theft and used a cable lock . Then worried about losing the key . Ended up hanging the key on a branch in the same tree and now just assume if someone needs my stand more then me they can have it . LOL .
Only one incident of theft was catching a hunter in the process of stealing my arrow case of arrows . When confronting the three hunters I quickly dialed back my outrage when realizing they had three loaded rifles and me a unloaded Longbow LOL .
Cheers .

greybark
12-19-2014, 10:37 AM
OK , another tip I had forgotten , Instead of an open quiver use an arrow case . I leave my case up in the stand and when closed keeps the feathers dry and blades sharp . Two sizes available , the smaller works great and easier to jam in a holding position .
Cheers

Canuck2
12-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Great buck - a hearty congratulations on getting it done in adverse conditions. That's the trouble with the late archery season - can be bitterly cold at times, and I can certainly relate. But the potential rewards are obvious and you richly deserved one.

Stéphane
12-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Congrats, Jeff. I guess I missed you. I saw Ken on his way out. Very nice deer and for sure you deserved it. Can't wait for next year!

Stéphane
12-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Great buck - a hearty congratulations on getting it done in adverse conditions. That's the trouble with the late archery season - can be bitterly cold at times, and I can certainly relate. But the potential rewards are obvious and you richly deserved one.

Or wet! I drove back to camp one day it was an ice rink. . . just letting go of the throttle made my truck drift towards the ditches. Scary stuff.

First Up
12-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Thanks for all the congratulations everyone. I just barbecued up a backstrap. Mmmm good! I can't wait for next year!

12-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Great thread and congrats all round here! Cool accomplishment with a long bow

Spy
12-21-2014, 10:37 PM
Congrats on a nice buck, awesome job with a Trad bow, wooden arrows & -30 nuff said :-)

Spy
12-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Greybark thanks for the treestand tips & I hope I will still be able to climb into my stand when Im 75 wow simply amazing!

greybark
12-21-2014, 11:22 PM
Hey Spy , one of my favorite trees to sit in involves climbing up using its branches then hauling up my climber stand . This provides the best in cover . On this trip doing just that I overdid it and tore my rotator cuff . Ironicaly one of the toughest part of this procedure is climbing down after sunset . You can`t see the branches below and some sort of hanging and prayers are involved . LOL . Each night after returning to camp I would have my "Thank God I got out of that damn tree" beer lol. Oh how I savered that bottle of Sleemans Origanel . This was the last time using that tree .
It`s much easier on this old frame to just use the climber . I remember before stands just sitting on a branch , then a piece of board roped to the branch , then a piece of plywood to stand on that was held on by sisel (sp) rope and a timber hitch , then Cabalas Spurs (totally useless ) , then offical spurs , then hang ons (where you use one frozen hand to hang onto the tree, a second frozen hand to hold the stand in place , then a Third frozen hand to hook up the chain ) , then a ladder stand and now the cream of the crop a self climber that enables more hunting trips .
Cheers Spy and Merry Christmas .

greybark
12-22-2014, 12:20 AM
Just remembered another tree stand tip . Another reason to have your seat platform and bar (a must have) at the maximum height is it provides clearance for the lower limb of your bow . The get in the way length of trad bows can be a problem but this additional height lets these bows get clearance by going under the seat platform bar during the drawing and shot process..
The shorter compound bows can gain the same clearance but somewhat limited . With the use of you safety harness you can confidently lean out a bit more or in some cases step backand get that rquired clearance .
Cheers

The Warden
12-22-2014, 09:08 PM
I have to commend the 2 of you for conquering the insanity & the extreme weather conditions while sitting in your "perches." Lol ;) The reward made it all worth while! Congrats!

BC Shooter
12-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Jeff
Congratulations on your buck, a real beauty. I have endured the Rock Creek cold as well, good on you for your perseverance. Kudos to Ken as well for all of his help to make your hunt a success.

Jim

QUOTE=First Up;1574246]Well Greybark I have nearly decompressed. The tips of my thumbs are still numb.
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah25/firstup1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb7d0ea9f.jpg[/QUOTE]

TheProvider
09-30-2015, 03:18 PM
I had to look up this thread as requested in todays thread. Enjoyed the stories and the success. Shoot straight!