PDA

View Full Version : Alleged cross-border poacher questioned about side-by-side photos ...

East Van Ray
12-09-2014, 04:53 PM
They say pictures don't lie ... click on the link and look at the picture ... thoughts?

http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/alleged-cross-border-poacher-questioned-side-side-photos/
A Kamloops hunting guide facing a dozen poaching charges alleging he illegally bagged a record-setting Dall sheep in the Yukon 15 years ago was cross-examined for an hour today (Dec. 9) about the Crown’s main piece of evidence — two side-by-side photographs appearing to show the same mountain range.

Abe Dougan, 39, claims to have killed the sheep in a remote part of northwestern B.C., where he had been legally entitled to do so in the summer of 1999.

The trophy earned a spot in the Big Game Records of B.C. record book — where a photo of Dougan posing with the sheep was published alongside a brief first-person account of the hunt, in which Dougan described tracking the animal through a mountain range in northwest B.C.

In 2011, Environment Yukon received a confidential tip that the photo of Dougan was actually taken in the Yukon. Using three-dimensional mapping software, an investigator located a Yukon mountain with similar characteristics to the mountain in the background of Dougan’s photo.

In the summer of 2011, investigators flew by helicopter to the site they claim Dougan bagged the sheep — 18 kilometres north of the Yukon/B.C. border.

They took a photo of the mountain range from what they felt was the exact location Dougan’s hunting partner was standing when the trophy photo was taken, court heard.

The two pictures bear striking similarities, including a series of slides in the background and a distinct plateau on a mountain over Dougan’s left shoulder.

In court, blown-up copies of the two photos were displayed on a poster board — on top, Dougan’s photo and, below that, the Environment Yukon photo.

“You would agree with me, sir, that the slide in the top photograph and the slide in the bottom photograph are an exact match,” said federal Crown prosecutor Lesley Ann Kilgore.

“No, I would not agree with you,” Dougan replied.

“Do you agree that they look very similar?” Kilgore asked.

“I agree that they have similarities, as most slides do,” Dougan said.

“Would you agree with me that the notch in the mountain appears to be an exact match?” Kilgore then asked.

“I’d agree that the backdrop has some similarities, as many mountain areas do,” Dougan replied.

Court has heard Dougan operates a guide-outfitting business near Pemberton for black-bear hunters.

Dougan’s trial has been ongoing sporadically in Kamloops provincial court for more than a year. It continues this week.

Whonnock Boy
12-09-2014, 05:00 PM
All our thoughts are here.... :wink: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?108791-Interesting-Court-Case

300H&H
12-09-2014, 05:04 PM
It looks to be the same place to me.

tangozulu
12-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Guilty
A shame another professional hunter is a cheater.

Tīɡ
12-09-2014, 05:53 PM
I wonder what the boys over at Gunwerks have to say about this. They have hunted bears with Big Boar Outfitters the past 2 years.

Gateholio
12-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Duplicate thread.