PDA

View Full Version : Wolf track

lone wolf
12-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Came across a wolf track today , biggest one of the year so far , the 22-250 rounds measures 2.25 " . yes it has grown due to melting but the shear size makes a guy wonder , Do I need a new rifle . lol Also a comment was made that he probably sh#ts out coyotes .

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz324/mgmcbride/DSC_0531.jpg

timberhunter
12-09-2014, 04:59 PM
If and or when we run into him it will be a shocker for sure.

Busterpayton54
12-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Where abouts did you come across this print if you don't mind me asking. Just curious as I know of 1 very large missing dog that's within reasonable proximity for a day hunt for someone residing in lone bute

Tīɡ
12-09-2014, 06:01 PM
That is one big pooch!!

Bugle M In
12-09-2014, 06:15 PM
you might need a bigger gun!!!:-P

lone wolf
12-10-2014, 12:05 AM
That track was found between 108 and spring lk , no human sign and there was more than 1 leading into the thick stuff .

Busterpayton54
12-10-2014, 12:28 AM
Thank you. The dog I was thinkin of is from the bridge lake area

Billyisgr8
12-10-2014, 09:15 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5185&stc=1We have seen wolf tracks close to windy mountain forestry road, Between english , and needa lake. These tracks are from by my house http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy254/Billyisgr8/DSC05047.jpg

ElliotMoose
12-10-2014, 09:36 AM
The wolves were thick up Windy Mountain this year. We came across the largest track I have seen in the Bonaparte area and saw a pack of 12 running around in mid daylight. The track dwarfs the bullet from my 300

shelg
12-10-2014, 09:43 AM
My Uncle had 3 stock him last year on Deka Lake while he was ice fishing.

albravo2
12-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Damn. That is a big wolf.

Make one hell of a mount.

tuffteddyb
12-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Would like to see the ones who made those tracks!Preferablly thru a scope of course!

Busterpayton54
12-10-2014, 11:29 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5185&stc=1We have seen wolf tracks close to windy mountain forestry road, Between english , and needa lake. These tracks are from by my house http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy254/Billyisgr8/DSC05047.jpg

I spent a few weekends hunting wavey lake road for wolves last month, didn't have any luck. I called them and had replies but they never showed themselves. I do believe they circled behind me, down wind and set off a squirrel alarm, but caught my scent.
Ill be up there again shortly.

As you go up wavey lake, about 3.5km up from the pavement there's a open flat area on the right with what looks like a road going into te forest at the base of the hill, it's not a road though. Anyways this is the spot my friend had seen them and always sign on a path skirting the hillside. I noticed a raven up top and took the first road that climbs up and Comes around the hill clockwise making it's way to the top, passing the west tip of willow lake. There's some great view points looking over some large slashes.

I also took a quick toot up horse lake road north towards earl lake, maybe about 6 km from pavement I came across a good size print, quite a bit of sign up there also.

M.Dean
12-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Is a large dog's track the same as a wolf track?

Liveforthehunt
12-10-2014, 01:24 PM
My Uncle had 3 stock him last year on Deka Lake while he was ice fishing.

I wish I would be so fortunate to have a few stock me lol :)

lone wolf
12-10-2014, 01:53 PM
There was a pack for a month about 7 km up windy mtn rd on left behind old gravel pit rd , 2 pair hwy 24 just before interlakes , left hand logging rd , currently 2 pair up b+b rd watck lk rd , and 2 pair off they end of my rd, the packs and pairs seem to hang aound the area a while then move on , there were 2 more on bleeker rd but moved south i think to 83 mile , will be at the dogs for couple more weeks and can keep an up to date sign if they want . Just wish i could get one wolf , anyone want to lend some wisdom or tips . I am on wolftracker.ca and read alot of tips and such , and have tried a few but no luck . Yet . This is the most i have hunted 1 animal and never seen or heard them , just fresh tracks .

Tīɡ
12-10-2014, 02:19 PM
Me and my bro are hoping to chase some wolves this winter. Good luck with your pursuit!

CaribooBC
12-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Lots of wolves on my game cams between Lone Butte and Fawn Lake.

Busterpayton54
12-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Well I sat out for days with my stupid rabbit squeeler and fawn bawl with no success what so ever. Then on my next trip did the same on the first day and half the second day. Then I figured, screw this, I see guys on you tube howling and they howl back. I figure I'm just going to howl, if I don't get a reply I'll head back to the truck and move a few km.

So I howled... 3-4 seconds go by, maybe even 20, time goes so slow... I hear a couple dogs fighting to my left. Can't even pretend to put a range on it, hard to say.. 300y, 800y?!?

Well giggedy. I waited a bit and did the rabbit squeel, then maybe 30-40 min or so the chattermunk goes off 60-70 yards behind me, down wind. I figured they came from behind and set the squirrel off, got my scent and beat it on outta there. Nothin happened for a few hours so I made my way to the truck.

I took a pile around some little dead ends then headed back to willow lake and took the higher road that would take me a couple km further in the direction I heard the fighting.
made my way to a pretty serious deactivation and out my feet to the ground.
I gave a little bawl and waited but nothin happens. Then I did a howl, waited a moment (felt like a while, may have been 2 seconds) and turned back towards the truck. I made it a couple steps then bammmmmo... Numerous calls in return. Don't know how many, 3-4-8?? No way to estimate distance either. I didn't know if they were down in the draw or on the mountain range 2-3 km beyond.

so I setup in a big scrap debris pile for a few hours till it was too dark then best it on out myself.

Upon on closer inspection via google earth 3d, there is a real nice lookin draw with a small pond right in that direction 6-800 yards down from me. Which inturn drains right into that opening down on the main rd that my friend told me about the trail they have.

I'm planning on hiking in there next week or so.

REMINGTON JIM
12-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Wolves around here are VERY HARD to call in ! :cry: But the odd one makes a mistake ! :grin: RJ

Liveforthehunt
12-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Saw one this year dark in the headlights big ******* fluffy tail in the air then disappeared, my old man's friend thought it was a deer at first. We got lucky few years back up moose hunting I'm camp making lunch middle of the day howling all around us I told my PA they are close then within 5 minutes 2 ended up on the road 3 count dead wolf the taxidermy sayed most killed are young 2 1/2 year Olds keep up the persistence and you will get lucky

tigrr
12-10-2014, 10:51 PM
The spooky part is when you are following their track and when you turn around and head back you find out they circled back and followed you for a kilometer. Learn to make the alpha male call and the rest will come running. They think the alpha male has made a kill.