PDA

View Full Version : Leupold VX-2 3-9X40 vs VX-3 3.5-10x40

davidhp
12-08-2014, 11:22 PM
Anyone has experience with Leupold VX-2 3-9X40 or VX-3 3.5-10x40, does VX-3 worth extra 300 bucks? I mainly use scope for hunting in 100-200 yards, saw them have been the best seller in USA webstore, now i am looking at the canadian webstore, the pricing looks good enough, and there are many reticle choices here

VX-2 3-9X40 (http://www.brandonoptics.com/Leupold-VX-2-3-9x40mm-Riflescopes_p_1356.html)

VX-3 3.5-10x40 (http://www.brandonoptics.com/Leupold-VX-3-35-10x40-Riflescopes_p_1352.html)

Ry151
12-08-2014, 11:29 PM
If you can afford the extra $300 i would but in my opinion the vx2 will get the job done just the same

Weatherby Fan
12-08-2014, 11:52 PM
I've used Vari X3 and now VX3 3.5-10x40 duplex scopes for 30 years and have never lost a zero or had to send one in for warranty, my older brother can say the same and he is really hard on his gear !
I'm sure the VX2 would be just fine, but I prefer the VX3.

todbartell
12-09-2014, 12:14 AM
Ive owned both and have had great results with both. Is the Vx3 worth it? Probably not optically, but they have some features I prefer to the Vx2, mainly the raised magnification adjustment...damn hard to turn a Vx2 especially in cold weather w/ gloves on.

brian
12-09-2014, 12:19 AM
I have a VX2 3-9x40mm I'd say its a good scope for the money reliability wise. Right now I am using a luepy FX2 4x33mm. It is roughly equivalent glass to the VX2. I would say it suffers a bit at the edges of darkness, but my only real side by side comparison to base that assertion on is my Vortex Viper 6x32mm binos. The Vipers are clearly brighter in the dwindling hours of light and are simply better quality glass. I would hope the VX3 would match that quality but I have no experience to base that assertion on. The FX-2s low light capabilities cost me a decent chance on a deer this year. But the shooting light was pretty questionable in the timber by that time anyways. All the same the binos sure worked well in those conditions, so I would like to see how the higher level scopes would perform given the same conditions.

davidhp
12-09-2014, 11:30 AM
Glad to know you have been with them for 30 years, that would make more confidence with my interest on leupold

I've used Vari X3 and now VX3 3.5-10x40 duplex scopes for 30 years and have never lost a zero or had to send one in for warranty, my older brother can say the same and he is really hard on his gear !
I'm sure the VX2 would be just fine, but I prefer the VX3.

Fred1
12-09-2014, 12:41 PM
VX3 4.5-14 40mm Love it! Bought it a few years ago so I could really stretch out over the grasslands - still dont think I have shot with it ove 10 power. Tried a few brands, been lucky enough to look thru just about everything made on earth under all light conditions. The vx3 is all you will ever need! Leupold is all you need to know...

Drillbit
12-09-2014, 12:50 PM
The only time you'll notice the difference between a 2 and 3 is at first light, or dusk. The 3's are brighter when they need to be.

wlbc
12-09-2014, 05:23 PM
I have a VX 2 and a VX 3 as well as a couple of M8 4x. Leupolds are a decent midrange scope, the glass is nothing special but the warranty is phenomenal. I have used the warranty on one of my 30 ++year old M8's that was on a hard kicking 3006, I just sent it in and about 6 weeks later it came back good as new - hard to complain about that.

If you have the money I would counsel you to the VX 3. As others have mentioned at the range or during the day I think it would be difficult to tell the difference between the 2 or the 3. The 3 surpasses the 2 at first and last light which happens to be when I've killed an ark load of critters. So for this price range get the VX 3 and I don't think you will regret it.

Oh and if you are in BC check with Omer at Aroma Foods in Quesnel before buying. He's a good local guy and no one has beat his prices when I've been looking.

Superdeuce
12-09-2014, 07:58 PM
or save the $ and still get a VX3 and look at the 2.5-8x36, especially at those ranges. I would put my extra money into quality binos first, over upgrading a VX2 to VX3.

Beaufortranger
12-09-2014, 08:50 PM
I suggest the 50 mm it really makes a difference in the morning and evening.

Beaufortranger
12-09-2014, 08:56 PM
You will never regret going with the vx-3. The difference in the glass makes all the difference in the world in the times of day when you really need it. I had x-2's then i looked thru a buddies gun at dark and replaced them the following week. I was told the diffference is the quality of the glass in the lenses but never confirmed.

Drillbit
12-10-2014, 09:15 PM
I have a VX 2 and a VX 3 as well as a couple of M8 4x. Leupolds are a decent midrange scope, the glass is nothing special but the warranty is phenomenal. I have used the warranty on one of my 30 ++year old M8's that was on a hard kicking 3006, I just sent it in and about 6 weeks later it came back good as new - hard to complain about that.

If you have the money I would counsel you to the VX 3. As others have mentioned at the range or during the day I think it would be difficult to tell the difference between the 2 or the 3. The 3 surpasses the 2 at first and last light which happens to be when I've killed an ark load of critters. So for this price range get the VX 3 and I don't think you will regret it.

Oh and if you are in BC check with Omer at Aroma Foods in Quesnel before buying. He's a good local guy and no one has beat his prices when I've been looking.

Omer is the man, but he doesn't deal with Leupold. Prophet river in Llyodminster usually has the best Leupold prices.

warnniklz
12-10-2014, 10:11 PM
I used a VX2 several years ago. It was 1/2 MOA adjustments, and it just had lines to match up on the turrets instead of detents.

Had a VX3 that was handed down to me. It was purchased back in 83... like that thing way more than the "newer" VX2.

Now with that said, I haven't played with a VX2 in about 5 years.

Edit:
This comparison is out of date

todbartell
12-11-2014, 02:10 AM
I used a VX2 several years ago. It was 1/2 MOA adjustments, and it just had lines to match up on the turrets instead of detents.

Had a VX3 that was handed down to me. It was purchased back in 83... like that thing way more than the "newer" VX2.

Now with that said, I haven't played with a VX2 in about 5 years.

Just to clarify things a bit, the older generation Vari-X II's had friction adjustments, the Vari X III's had clicks. The Vari-X II evolved to the VxII, and now on to the Vx2. Vari-X III turned into a VxIII, now to the Vx3. For the record the base model Vx1 has click adjustments these days

warnniklz
12-11-2014, 04:04 AM
Just to clarify things a bit, the older generation Vari-X II's had friction adjustments, the Vari X III's had clicks. The Vari-X II evolved to the VxII, and now on to the Vx2. Vari-X III turned into a VxIII, now to the Vx3. For the record the base model Vx1 has click adjustments these days

Ahhhh. Smarter everyday. So I'm basically comparing a vari-x iii to a vxii.

davidhp
12-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Thank you guys so much for all great suggestions.
I just put an order online with Brandon Optics, VX-2 for me, VX-3 for my hunting friend(lol, he has a deeper pocket), The scopes are expected to be our christmas gifts, we'll update you guys once it's delivered.

For vx's generation envolution history, here is a link for reference (http://www.brandonoptics.com/Leupold-RifleScopes-_c_143.html)

markt308
12-16-2014, 04:10 PM
So can you buy a custom dial (CDS) for any VX-2 or VX-3 or is it only certain ones? I noticed online that some say CDS at the end, and some don't. I want to order the custom dial as soon as I buy my scope (probly a VX-2) and I want to make sure I know I'm buying one that actually accommodates a custom dial

todbartell
12-16-2014, 10:11 PM
go to Leupold's site and it will show which models are factory CDS equipped. Should have the product code next to it

.330 Dakota
12-17-2014, 08:45 PM
I own both the Vari X 2 and the Vari X 3 and the new VX3,,,they all work great however I really prefer the 3 due to the clearer and flatter view. The 3 model is noticably better than the 2 model, and in my opinion worth the extra cash. They are usually about $100 to $150 more than the 2,,,,not sure where the $300 diffence comes from, but I will check the web and see if somethings have changed in the pricing

Salty
12-18-2014, 09:06 AM
I bought a vx2 offa our sponsor Nechako Outdoors a couple yrs back as cheap as anywhere I could find.. just say'n..

The Hermit
12-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Ive owned both and have had great results with both. Is the Vx3 worth it? Probably not optically, but they have some features I prefer to the Vx2, mainly the raised magnification adjustment...damn hard to turn a Vx2 especially in cold weather w/ gloves on.

What he said ^ my experience with the VX2 also... I had to send it in for repair because I couldn't adjust it at all... it came back and was much better but still too hard for my liking. I'd go for the VX3 for sure.

davidhp
12-20-2014, 08:04 PM
We have(me & my friend) received VX-2 and VX-3 in early last week, it's a really nice gift for us, we have some photos with these 2 scopes, but don't know how to post them online to share with you guys:cry: