PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone!

300magman
12-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Well, I just wanted to make a post and say hi to everyone here. I found out a couple days ago that I was the lucky one chosen by my company to head our new Victoria office, and will be re-locating to Victoria shortly, so Im pretty excited to get my CORE done and start making some plans for next year! I have been hunting my entire life in Alberta, and besides an unsuccessful guided grizzly hunt last year, have never hunted in BC (the hunt was great, and we saw lots of bears, just nothing I was interested in taking as I was hoping for a 7ft + bear and we never crossed paths with one). I guess it was meant to be, as I would much rather have a chance at taking one on my own anyway :D

Anyway, I dont really have anything useful to say right now, but I look forward to getting to know you guys and good luck with the rest of the season for everyone. Just for interest sake, here is a couple pics of my 2014 season in AB....

Here is my spot and stalk spring bear from this year. Saw him out in a cut, and things worked out with the stalk. 6'7" bear, so I was really happy with him.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5179&stc=1

This my elk....I was only able to make it out for 3 days elk hunting this year, so I decided to take the first legal bull I came across to make sure the freezer had some meat in it.....I heard this guy bugling before first light, walked in about 3/4 mile and all it took was couple chirps on the hoochie and he came in to 80yds. Not a big bull by any means, but my wife wouldnt have been too happy if she knew I passed on a legal elk with such limited time to hunt, lol.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5180&stc=1

Next was my archery bull moose. I had my 5 yr old son with me on this hunt, and we called this bull into 7yds (he was coming head on towards us on a cutline, so I had no opportunity for a shot any sooner). Unfortunately, the shot was quarting to on quite the angle so we had to leave him overnight as to not risk pushing him further into the swamp and the birds got the eyes and a bit of hair on the neck. This hunt was awesome, especially having my son with me...this is my best archery bull so far.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5181&stc=1

Lastly was my muley buck....I had waited a few years to draw this tag, so i put alot of time into hunting muleys this year. After passing on alot of bucks, finally this guy came out into the valley i was watching hot on a doe. He was well worth the wait, and green scored 183 and change.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5182&stc=1

I never ended up filling my whitetail tag this year as i already had enough meat for my family and some to give to relatives that enjoy it. If the buck of a lifetime had walked under my stand, I wouldn't have been able to say no, but oviously that never happened, haha.

Anyway, talk to you guys soon and thanks in advance for any knowledge I might pick up from some of you!

300MM

elkhunterette
12-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Great pictures, welcome to the site.

4 point
12-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Holy crap that is quite a year by anyone's standard. Welcome to BC.

MB_Boy
12-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Welcome!

You may want to check if Alberta has a hunter education course as it may be honoured as my Manitoba Hunter Safety card was. Was no need to take the CORE; I know a few provinces are okay in BC just can't recall which ones.

albravo2
12-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Welcome to BC. Don't tell anybody how awesome it is, ok?

Welcome to the forum too!

E.V.B.H.
12-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Welcome!

You may want to check if Alberta has a hunter education course as it may be honoured as my Manitoba Hunter Safety card was. Was no need to take the CORE; I know a few provinces are okay in BC just can't recall which ones.

I thought it was any core in North America.

300magman
12-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone! And Albravo2, the "secret" is safe with me, but somehow everyone in Canada seems to know it anyway! Haha

Alberta does have a hunters ed course, but it's only a requirement if you hadn't held a hunting license before a certain (cant recall the exact year, but I made the cut and never had to take it). So I think i'll have to do the CORE as I couldn't find an exemption anywhere based on having previously held a license in another province. Still gonna check though just in case!

boilerroom
12-09-2014, 12:20 AM
Hi 300, welcome to Beautiful BC. Thanks for the pics of your very successful season!

Cheers,
Boilerroom

Tīɡ
12-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Looks like a stellar season you had! Welcome to the site and BC, I'm sure your in for some great hunting!

MB_Boy
12-09-2014, 09:16 AM
I thought it was any core in North America.

It may be, I just recall moving out here 20 years ago that there were a few provinces specifically noted where the Hunter Education was accepted from. I have no idea if that was because they were the only ones that had programs or what.....I just saw Manitoba on the list and that was my only concern. :p :wink:

Salty
12-09-2014, 09:18 AM
Welcome 300magnum! I would call or head down to a BC Access Centre, you'll find listings in the provincial blue pages of the phone book. If I'm not mistaken you might be good to go with an Alta hunting licence. .. they recognise all hunting licences require something like the CORE or a grandfathering. I believe you have a 6 mo waiting period after you get here. Sell your snow shovel, buy rain gear :) Actually Victoria is usually pretty nice other than most of the winter.....

12-09-2014, 10:31 AM
sorry to say man.... but your hunting is going to take a nose dive! judging by your pics!!
AND you will have to mow your lawn in November

12-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Great looking critters you have there, as said, your hunting may not be the same, but that said there are Great Opportunities here too. Get into Fishing as it can be a great province for that too.

Welcome aboard and look forward to your success stories on the way.

CT

12-09-2014, 11:11 AM
on the bright side.... If you dig fishing..... the Island has some of the best.....
Rip out to a few spots for a 100+lb hali...... or a 20 some chinook..... and Winter Steel for the slow season...

avadad
12-09-2014, 11:15 AM
sorry to say man.... but your hunting is going to take a nose dive! judging by your pics!!
AND you will have to mow your lawn in November

X2…welcome to the land of coastal blacktail hunting…

300magman
12-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Thanks again guys!

I have been told that worst case scenario I can challange my CORE, so worst case scenario I will do a little studying and challange it if i cant get and exemption. Thanks for everyone re: advice on the core.

835, I will mow my lawn in Nov with the biggest smile on my face you have ever seen, hahahaha! I sold my snowblower yesterday on kijiji and man was i happy to know i wont need that thing anymore.....hell, i'll run the mower over the lawn even if it doesnt need it just so i can tell my friends and family back in edm that i "mowed the lawn" today! Plus, I can stay in sheep shape all year without having to spend countless hours on a stairclimber, haha.

Im actually really excited to learn about BT hunting, and spend some time in the hills on the island.....for me it more about the hunt than the animal harvested....just getting to spend some days in the bush out there will be awesome!! Plus, I plan on taking a few trips a year to the mainland and taking advantage of the opportunities around the province. As I was telling someone on here on a PM, they closed our grizzly hunt about 8yrs ago in AB, and only give out 5 goat tags a year (so pretty much impossible to draw), so hopefully I will have a chance at those in the coming years. Ive seen enough goats sheep hunting that it will be really nice to actually have a chance at one someday. All it means its I have a good excuse to sneak away for a week here and there....Ive already made that very clear to my wife, haha!

And as far as fishing, I definitely plan on working my way into it. Gonna have to get a bigger boat for sure (the 14ft aluminum wont cut it I dont think, lol).....for now i'll just mess around on the breakwater and see what I can pull up!

Once again, thanks everyone....

Chris

12-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Bring out the 14 foot,,, i can tell ya a few places that will get you into 30lb'ers in a 14' skiff! But ya bigger is better...

Seems like you are coming with the right attitude anyway! lol
But the Vancouver island road atlas when you get here... and Google earth....

Peter Pepper
12-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Most hunting on the Island is north of Courtney, as south island logging roads are mostly blocked. (unless you hike in like I do) Oh and BTW don't let anyone in Victoria know your are a big bad hunter or you may get a bare breasted PETA protest and road block at the end of your driveway.

kayjayess
12-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Welcome to the forum and great pics.

The rule regarding the core and the BC licensing is that you have to have proof of having done a hunter safety course previously. So if you did one in ab and can prove it they will honor it and give you a BC hunter number. If not you can challenge the test.

I hunted in ab for years and had done a hunter safety course but had no record of it. So I had to challenge the core exam. Bit of a drag but no drama for an experienced hunter.

Good luck.

Welcome to Vic as well