PDA

View Full Version : Is firearms possession a "right" in Canada?

East Van Ray
12-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Found this article from July 31, 2014

Right or privilege?

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/news-story/4728432-is-firearms-possession-a-right-in-canada-/
The Canadian Press has examined Blaney's statement and put it to its baloney meter test — a dispassionate examination of political statements that culminates in a ranking of accuracy.

Spoiler: On a scale from "no baloney" to "full of baloney," the claim would appear, from a strictly legal standpoint, to meet the criteria for a "full baloney" grade. By law, there is no right in Canada to possess firearms.

The facts:

The right to bear arms has been a hotly debated topic in the United States for decades.

That right, say advocates, is deeply entrenched in the U.S. Constitution, and provided for in the Second Amendment that was adopted Dec. 15, 1791, as part of the United States Bill of Rights.

In Canada, such a right is not specifically spelled out in the Constitution, although proponents of the notion argue that such a right exists.
But does it?

According to the Supreme Court of Canada, it does not.

"Canadians, unlike Americans, do not have a constitutional right to bear arms," the high court stated in 1993, in a decision over the possession of convertible semi-automatic weapons.

"Indeed, most Canadians prefer the peace of mind and sense of security derived from the knowledge that the possession of automatic weapons is prohibited," said the court.

The rights issue was tested again in the case of an Ontario firearms dealer and manufacturer.
Bruce Montague was charged with several weapons offences after police found more than 200 firearms and 20,000 rounds of ammunition at Montague's home in northwestern Ontario.

Montague didn't renew the registrations on his weapons, convinced that he had a constitutional right to bear arms without government interference or regulation, despite the passage of Bill C-68, the Firearms Act, in 1995.

Montague argued that he had "a constitutional right to possess firearms for self defence" derived from the constitution of Britain.

He pointed to the preamble of the Constitution Act, 1867, Canada's founding constitutional document, which in his view imported the English Bill of Rights of 1689, which states in Article 7: "That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law."

Montague further argued that in 1982, this historical right was shielded from any ordinary legislation by section 26 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which reads: "The guarantee in this Charter of certain rights and freedoms shall not be construed as denying the existence of any other rights or freedoms that exist in Canada."

His convictions were upheld in the Ontario Court of Appeal and in September 2010, the Supreme Court of Canada refused to hear a final appeal, without offering reasons.
Montague is facing further legal troubles after the Ontario Court of Appeal further ruled last month against his challenge of the Criminal Code’s automatic forfeiture provisions.

That, after a judge ordered most of his weapons cache — including sub-machine guns, assault rifles and sawed off shotguns — be turned over to the province of Ontario. He may also lose his house to forfeiture.

The right to gun ownership in Canada has been far from universally accepted throughout the country's history, says Saint Mary's University associate professor Blake Brown.

Many 19th-century lawyers — including Canada's first prime minister, Sir John A. Macdonald — believed in a limited right to bear arms, Brown wrote in his book, Arming and Disarming, a History of Gun Control in Canada.

An 1869 law that prohibited people from carrying "offensive weapons" did not mention firearms.
During his tenure as prime minister, Macdonald generally opposed new gun laws, arguing that "citizens needed arms to protect themselves from American criminals who crossed into Canada," wrote Brown.
And even though the British Bill of Rights declared a guarantee of arms to men "for their defence suitable to their condition," the federal government declared that right invalid in 1885, because it deemed aboriginal peoples incapable of full citizenship and didn't want to afford them such a right.
Skip forward 130 years to a recent news conference where Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney outlined proposed changes to Canada's gun laws, publicly reopening the debate by stating that "to possess a firearm is a right."

Blaney has not since clarified what he meant by "right," nor has his office responded to several inquiries about whether the minister was stating government policy.

But critics immediately called the statement into question.

The courts have laid to rest any argument that Canadians have an absolute or legal right to own guns, says the Coalition for Gun Control.

"Quite simply, (Blaney) is wrong," said the coalition's Wendy Cukier.

But gun ownership is a rights issue, says Sheldon Clare, president of Canada's National Firearms Association.

The debate about firearms control has been centred on the issue of public safety since the late 1960s, said Clare. He pointed to the RCMP seizure of guns from homes in flood-ravaged High River, Alta., in 2013.

The Mounties cited safety concerns as a reason for confiscating guns from homes they had entered while looking for flood victims and pets.

But many gun owners called that reasoning into question, accused the police of violating their rights and called the operation an unwarranted search and seizure.

"It is time to challenge that falsehood — firearms control is not a public safety issue," Clare wrote recently on his association's website. "It is a property and personal rights issue."

The conclusion:
Governments since Confederation have framed laws that are much more in line with gun possession being a "privilege" that is regulated and licensed, similar to laws that allow Canadians to drive cars. However, there remains a strong divide on the issue between gun control proponents and advocates of the right to own firearms.

For those reasons, Blaney's statement earns him a rating of "full of baloney."

Drillbit
12-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Since C-68 it's not legal for Canadians to posses a firearm. If they have a valid PAL they are exempt though. Simply put.

goatdancer
12-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Very few "rights" for Canadians as outlined by our constitution.

Iron Glove
12-08-2014, 12:19 PM
We can argue for ever that we may, or may not consider it a right but ultimately the Courts have decided that it isn't a right.
Ergo, it ain't a right.
Want to change that then the laws have to change.

adriaticum
12-08-2014, 12:51 PM
No such thing as a "right".
Everything is what we agree on and that's why we have to fight for it.

.264winmag
12-08-2014, 04:43 PM
They better hope they don't come to my place looking for firearms, privilege, right, exempt or whatever you want to call it I'll be chucking lead lol. I'd say it's about time we actually fight and gain the 'right' to bear arms.

Salty
12-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Good laws don't need to be written down. It doesn't say anywhere that I have a right to own and use a hammer but no one would dispute that I do. Same goes for guns with the requirement to have a licence to do any more which I'm OK with. But I'm not at all OK with any further regulation and yes I consider this an unwritten right.. if that makes sense.

Vladimir Poutine
12-08-2014, 06:03 PM
This is a silly argument IMO. If the ownership of an item is not illegal, then it's legal to possess. The fact that gun ownership isn't enshrined in wording in our Constitution is the same as owning a car or any other item that is legal to own also isn't. The fact that the Excited States can turn an Amendment into some form of religious fervour that turns what might be normal people into a bunch of raving foolish idiots is their problem. We shouldn't want to make ourselves like them based on this issue.

Gun Dog
12-08-2014, 06:43 PM
The US Bill of Rights (which is the first 10 amendments to the Constitution) is unique among countries because it's a list of restrictions on the government. The founding fathers didn't trust governments and never granted "rights" to anyone. It doesn't always work out but they tried.

1. Congress shall pass no law prohibiting the freedom of speech.
2. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not infringed.
3. No soldier shall in time of peace be quartered in any house without the consent of the owner.
4. The right of the people against unreasonable search and seizure shall not be violated.
5. No person shall be compelled to be a witness against himself nor deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law.
etc.

I'm paraphrasing of course. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms starts with "...subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law" which basically means "you have these rights unless we pass laws that say you don't."

BigfishCanada
12-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Ahh but they have the right to pry them from my dead hands :)

troutseeker
12-09-2014, 02:24 AM
They better hope they don't come to my place looking for firearms, privilege, right, exempt or whatever you want to call it I'll be chucking lead lol. I'd say it's about time we actually fight and gain the 'right' to bear arms.Really? This I got to see, make sure to video it, ok?

TPK
12-09-2014, 09:38 AM
I think our FN's folks have a better chance at getting firearms ownership defined as a right rather than a privilege than non FN's do simply because (and I know nothing is simple in this boondoggle called firearms ownership) FN's have the right to hunt and fish defined in the Charter, so it would stand to reason (IMO) that if they have the right to hunt and fish, having tools to do so would also be a right. Taking away the tool to hunt (firearms) could be argued as an infringement on the right to hunt ..?? maybe? Just thinking out loud folks....

East Van Ray
12-09-2014, 09:59 AM
I think our FN's folks have a better chance at getting firearms ownership defined as a right rather than a privilege than non FN's do simply because (and I know nothing is simple in this boondoggle called firearms ownership) FN's have the right to hunt and fish defined in the Charter, so it would stand to reason (IMO) that if they have the right to hunt and fish, having tools to do so would also be a right. Taking away the tool to hunt (firearms) could be argued as an infringement on the right to hunt ..?? maybe? Just thinking out loud folks....

Yikes!!! ... I believe this is two separate issues ... you can still hunt without a use of a firearm ...

squamishhunter
12-09-2014, 10:10 AM
I believe its my right.

squamishhunter
12-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Really? This I got to see, make sure to video it, ok?

I'll throw out a guess here; you were ok with the LGR?

Iron Glove
12-09-2014, 11:01 AM
I believe its my right.

And that belief is all fine and dandy until you stand before the Judge who will then tell you if it's your right or not.
We can argue back and forth ad nauseum about it but the Courts have said it isn't a "right" in Canada.
That may, or may not be the way it should be but it is the Law.

hoochie
12-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Yikes!!! ... I believe this is two separate issues ... you can still hunt without a use of a firearm ...

But don't you find it even slightly interesting that the FN commonly use the Ruger Mini-14 to hunt with.. and when the laws restricted so many semi auto rifles; the mini14 got left out of the picture. Even though it was the gun used in a mass shooting in Quebec. I think the FN have a great deal more influence than second nations!

troutseeker
12-10-2014, 01:37 AM
I'll throw out a guess here; you were ok with the LGR?

Nope, but clearly stating that lead would fly is pretty silly... lol

Peter Pepper
12-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Some rights are 'God given' and/or 'Human rights'.
There was a time the courts said women and brown people don't have property/voting rights. Were the courts lawful in this? Or were the courts simply not recognising certain peoples rights.
I would suggest that all humans have these rights, and only those convicted of violent crimes (not counting consensual stand up brawls) should have their rights removed.

Iron Glove
12-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Some rights are 'God given' and/or 'Human rights'.
There was a time the courts said women and brown people don't have property/voting rights. Were the courts lawful in this? Or were the courts simply not recognising certain peoples rights.
I would suggest that all humans have these rights, and only those convicted of violent crimes (not counting consensual stand up brawls) should have their rights removed.

There are no such thing as "God given rights" in Canada.
Whilst the Charter mentions "god" it does not ascribe "rights" to any deity, only to Law.
It would however make an interesting argument for an Atheist to argue that certain "rights" or lack of thereof would not apply to an Atheist.
Like it or not, "rights" are those granted to us, and can be taken away from us, only by Law.

East Van Ray
12-15-2014, 01:16 PM
But don't you find it even slightly interesting that the FN commonly use the Ruger Mini-14 to hunt with.. and when the laws restricted so many semi auto rifles; the mini14 got left out of the picture. Even though it was the gun used in a mass shooting in Quebec. I think the FN have a great deal more influence than second nations!

Hmmm ... sounds like a coincidence to me ... I guess it all depends on the semi configuration ... I don't think I would hunt with 'tactical' outfitted semi ... anyways here is the excerpt from Ruger's website ... very versatile ...

Precision on the Range, at the Ranch, on Patrol or in the Woods. For decades, Ruger® Mini-14® rifles and Mini Thirty® rifles have been the choice for applications ranging from the farm and ranch, to the deep woods, to personal defense. Their short barrels and overall short length make them favorites in any application where maneuverability and ease of handling are priorities. With a variety of configurations from the standard Ranch Rifle, to the extremely accurate Mini-14® Target Rifle, to the Tactical models with collapsible stock or compact barrel with flash suppressor - there is a Mini-14 or Mini Thirty to meet any demand. Specifically designed for mounting today's scopes or other optical sighting systems, these rifles include a side ejection to clear the top mounted scope, and a patented recoil buffer which protects the scope from damage or shifting the point of impact as the semi-automatic action cycles.

Peter Pepper
12-15-2014, 03:22 PM
There are no such thing as "God given rights" in Canada.
Whilst the Charter mentions "god" it does not ascribe "rights" to any deity, only to Law.
It would however make an interesting argument for an Atheist to argue that certain "rights" or lack of thereof would not apply to an Atheist.
Like it or not, "rights" are those granted to us, and can be taken away from us, only by Law.

I was just using an easily understood term. Why do you think I used the word 'human rights' as well. How about 'natural rights of man', errr I mean person.
I realise the law as laid down in the charter might not recognise certain things, and I'm saying that is wrong. Many aspects of the charter are incorrect, and one day they will be changed. For example that it states not all Canadians are equal before the law. This is unjust, whether law or not.

Iron Glove
12-15-2014, 07:00 PM
I was just using an easily understood term. Why do you think I used the word 'human rights' as well. How about 'natural rights of man', errr I mean person.
I realise the law as laid down in the charter might not recognise certain things, and I'm saying that is wrong. Many aspects of the charter are incorrect, and one day they will be changed. For example that it states not all Canadians are equal before the law. This is unjust, whether law or not.

Hey, I'm not disagreeing that much of this is "unjust" but we are faced with dealing with Laws of man, made by man and we have to follow ( not necessarily agree ) them. We can argue forever about what is "right or wrong" but ultimately the Courts will tell you what is right and what is wrong, even if it isn't right, or isn't wrong.