PDA

View Full Version : Kuiu Packs

7x7
12-08-2014, 10:06 AM
Anyone using the Kuiu Ultra packs? Thoughts??

BigSlapper
12-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Anyone using the Kuiu Ultra packs? Thoughts??
Yes - both the 6000 and the 3000.
I'm about ready to sell them and will stick with the heavier and better built MR 6500 & Crew Cab. Thought I would try the Ultra's but not even close to what I was expecting based on the hype & marketing. Light, yes ... but comfort, noise (especially in sub zero temps) and workmanship are all compromised (IMHO)

Stone Sheep Steve
12-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Yes - both the 6000 and the 3000.
I'm about ready to sell them and will stick with the heavier and better built MR 6500 & Crew Cab. Thought I would try the Ultra's but not even close to what I was expecting based on the hype & marketing. Light, yes ... but comfort, noise (especially in sub zero temps) and workmanship are all compromised (IMHO)

So much for resale value! LOL!

SSS

mudbud
12-08-2014, 02:33 PM
I love mine, have had Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, etc and have settled on the Ultra. Is it the same quality as a MR? No obviously not, but I can strap my rifle and sleeping bag to it and still be lighter than an empty MR. I find mine as comfortable as any other pack. Haven't had any heavy loads in it yet, but packed an elk off the mountain in my Kuiu Icon, 100lb plus pack weight, multiple trips with no issues.

swampthing
12-08-2014, 06:17 PM
Being a gear junkie I am eyeballing these. I am looking at the 5200 icon but there is a couple different kuiu packs on here for sale I am considering. Bigslapper hasn't got much good to say. I am still pretty happy with my eberlestock dragonfly but its starting to bore me.

Remmy
12-08-2014, 07:43 PM
I used the 6000 on a fly in sheep hunt this year, it took a bit to get it set up with 60lbs; Once it was adjusted properly for the weight it worked great. I was never a big fan of top loaders, but it made me organize my gear in a more efficient way.
The only issue I had was, I fell coming out and I landed on the butt of the rifle, which ripped out the top straps. Kuiu sent me a new bag no questions asked.

GrizzlyAdams
12-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Started the season with an Ultra 6000, pack felt great but didnt have the strength required for the mountains. The materials just too thin... poked 2 holes in it on one 10 day hunt. Ordered an Icon Ultra 7200 for the rest of the season and it was a much better bag. Material is way better and I like having a few more pouches for better organization. Both bags packed a load very well when properly loaded and I love how light they are. I guide for mtn goats in the coast mountains and I'll be keeping my Icon till it dies. Kuiu makes great gear!

Rhyno
12-08-2014, 08:13 PM
There are a TON of used Kuiu packs for sale right now, me thinks BigSlapper might be onto something. Just an observation though, no experience with them myself.

trailhunter
12-08-2014, 10:22 PM
I'm liking my icon pro 7200....... No complaints, other than $$$ lol but like a smart man once said " Way she goes Ricky ....... Way she goes"

BigSlapper
12-09-2014, 12:57 PM
So much for resale value! LOL!

SSS
Ha true! .... but never does hurt to speak the truth :)

BCHunterTV
12-09-2014, 03:54 PM
im a Kuiu guy... and used the Icon 7200 on 2 big hunts with no problems

revarchery
12-09-2014, 10:26 PM
I have an Icon 7000 posted for sale only because I just got a new 7200, I'm a sucker for punishment. The icon 7000 has been and is a great pack 4 elk 3 goats and a few deer and bears might tell you it isn't comfortable but I will. One load i took out was 130lbs for around 10km no problems at all, with the pack just the fool wearing it. I bought a new one on sale.

budismyhorse
12-10-2014, 10:48 AM
I've beat the crap out of my icon 7000 on fly in sheep trips... Horse pack trips you name it....

no issues. I was a little concerned about how thin the material seemed but have put it through its paces and haven't had a problem.

easily the most comfortable pack with 100+ pounds in it.