PDA

View Full Version : Mcbride Area Mountain Goats

nicktrehearne
12-07-2014, 02:21 PM
I am new to BC and the area and was wondering if anyone is willing to share some info on goat hunting near McBride. I am not looking for any honey holes - more just if there is any zones where if I hike, I have a reasonable chance at getting a goat. I am interested in 7-18 but have not made it out to look around yet. I also prefer a zone that is not LEH. I have no problem backpacking into a remote location if that's what it takes - both of my Bighorns were over 15km from the vehicle...

Also, is there much chance of getting a mature mule buck in any of these alpine areas?

Thanks for the help!

Nick

12-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Welcome to the site but many would LOVE to see your bighorns first ...... Just saying, give a little take a little. Start out researching the goat draws for the area, then topos or Google earth , look to North slopes early, south slopes later. CT

nicktrehearne
12-07-2014, 08:44 PM
It's not letting me attach more than one but hope you enjoy. This was a general open season ram in Alberta. If you are on Facebook, add me and you can see a lot more of my hunting pics - bighorn , dalls, caribou, moose, mulies, whitetails, antelope, etc
As far as the advice goes, Thanks. :)

I am after a zone that does not require a draw so have not researched the draws extensively, and I have maps and have spent hours on Google earth and plan on starting to Scout on foot in early spring. I am not looking for the basics on finding a zone or hunting the goats - I am more looking to find out the odds and peoples past experiences in the area. I am also going to sit down with the biologists in the next little while to discuss the population demographics of the area as well - I just was hoping to get a little info out of here too! I am prepared to travel anywhere in the province if the odds are not good around McBride, but was hoping to stay closer to home.

Thanks again Curly Top!

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q728/Mtnbowhunter/390842_10150366734273752_822041734_n_zps81e2c663.j pg

12-07-2014, 09:19 PM
The Book goats Generally come more from the Coastal Range, eg. Stikine 2011 World record. they do have better growing seasons according to the Bio's I have spoke with. Your a sheep hunter so expect what it takes to get a good Billy, and worse, tougher country in general ....... goats are under rated as far as my opinion goes, yet all the praise goes to Sheep. so far this season a MG Guide and a resident Goat hunter have unfortunately lost their lives pursuing these critters. I refuse to shoot one in an area I might not be able to retrieve the critter or loose my life trying. They are a great critter to hunt, judge, and harvest, very rewarding so be careful. Doing your home work with Bio's and CO's is good. Good luck to you.

Beauty Ram by the way ! Congrats, many on here would love to see more and hear your stories I'm sure.

CT

Brew
12-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Why don't you want to put in for a draw? The odds are pretty low in a lot of great areas.

nap
12-07-2014, 09:34 PM
Cant help much with what info you are loking for but welcome to HBC. With a handle you gave your self, you must be a manitoba boy.:-D

BCbillies
12-07-2014, 09:51 PM
No experience hunting goats around McBride but in general there is a significantly higher density and bigger body and horn mass on the coastal goats as well as more GOS area to hunt. I will continue to drive the 12+ hours and hunt Region 6 . . . but that eliminates the weekend warrior trips.

7-18 is a beautiful area to explore and to have a gbear tag just in case!

warnniklz
12-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Go west.... way west. They gotta be around the mcbride area. But if you want some decent goat hunting... it's worth the drive.

goatdancer
12-08-2014, 11:59 AM
If you're used to hunting Alberta, some of the area around McBride will be a real eye opener. A few years ago my buddy and I hosted a couple of very good friends from Alberta who had spent a lot of time hunting sheep in the Kananaskis. They found the McBride area to be a lot tougher than the country back home. Good luck with your quest. Goats are a real rush to hunt.

khoffnbud
12-08-2014, 12:54 PM
there are goats around mcbride, all around, am i will to share...not yet. for the record, all the goat hunting ive done there is leh. was in 7-18 this last sept, gotta go a ways back to get into the goats, at least where i was

swampthing
12-08-2014, 06:22 PM
A map will show you the only 2 access roads into 7-18. Drive down either one and you will see goat mountains. Its a bitch of a nasty thick hunt in there.