PDA

View Full Version : Mulies on winter range

bowmagnum
12-05-2014, 06:54 PM
So I saw a big one today but the problem was that he or at least his doe winded me first and sauntered away. I followed tracks till they hooked up with some other deer then I couldn't keep track of who was who. I cruised around following various tracks and found that the deer are deeper than I ha previously thought. The question is: should I go back in there tomorrow and see what happens or let it cool down and go elsewhere tomorrow? There doesn't seem to be a ton of does around but there were at least a half dozen other sets of tracks.
Thanks

butthead
12-05-2014, 08:07 PM
go back and get that buck

Blainer
12-05-2014, 08:37 PM
I would be back

knighthunter
12-05-2014, 09:17 PM
go back and get that buck

Could even be another buck there with the amount of tracks.

Coachman
12-05-2014, 11:21 PM
You found where they are. Go back and tag him.

Sofa King
12-05-2014, 11:39 PM
definitely let it cool down for about 5 more days.
they saw you, they'll recognize you now.
pm me where you were, i'll sneak in and keep an eye on him for you.

bowmagnum
12-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Well I didnt find him, I only saw one doe and there were zero tracks in the fresh snow. All the beds I found previously had not been used that night. I did find one small set of cougar tracks. I hope they didnt run away for good. I will probably hit that spot one more time this year before its over

Sofa King
12-07-2014, 06:29 PM
those beds are probably from daytime beddings.
most deer are up and about through most the night.
I've found the same thing in a couple different areas.
fresh beds from that day, plus tracks all over the place.
come back the next day after some fresh snow overnight, and not a deer in the area.
they haven't necessarily left the area either, but they aren't repeating their patterns as much as they sometimes do.

I'd think it's worth still working that area.
at least you know there's a good buck in the area.

knighthunter
12-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Keep at that area, maybe when you were there, they were just over the next hill. Keep the wind in your face, move slowly and stay alert.

bowmagnum
12-07-2014, 09:05 PM
How far will muleys travel to bed and eat. Do they stay in a general area. I have a decent 8-10k loop I hike slowly, direction depends on wind and I go up and down through the timber and side hill mostly looking down to try and catch them moving or bedding below. Do they use the same beds or use a new one every time. I seem to find alot of old beds but they dont seem to be used regularly?

Bugle M In
12-07-2014, 09:42 PM
If possible, come in from above.....but yes, go back....good luck!

Sofa King
12-07-2014, 09:45 PM
How far will muleys travel to bed and eat. Do they stay in a general area. I have a decent 8-10k loop I hike slowly, direction depends on wind and I go up and down through the timber and side hill mostly looking down to try and catch them moving or bedding below. Do they use the same beds or use a new one every time. I seem to find alot of old beds but they dont seem to be used regularly?

they'll bed wherever they feel comfortable.
in all my different areas, I know spots where the deer will bed every season.
but, they don't bed there every day.

knighthunter
12-07-2014, 10:30 PM
I've never seen any deer use the same bed more than once. They just bed down wherever they got abit of cover. They also crap about 20 times a day.

Daybreak
12-07-2014, 10:47 PM
If you are covering 8-10 km's you are moving too fast.