PDA

View Full Version : Texada Island, is it worth it.

Robin
12-05-2014, 12:22 PM
After having no luck in the mule deer hunt here in Sechelt I`m debating whether to head over to Texada next week, is it worth it. I know the deer are small which is good for me as I`m only feeding myself but, how much time do I need there. Rumor has it that the buggers are around every corner but, I`ll dispell that rumor until I see it in person. If I spent one night there, hunt that day and the next morning, what are my chances of getting my winter meat.

Deer hunting here on the Sunshine Coast is hit and miss at best and with the local elk population exploding they`re pushing the deer out of their normal habitat. I saw elk every day I went out this season, it`s nuts here. I`m a patient guy and will sit and wait for days in the same spot but it is getting stupid here, I personally only know of 3 guys who tagged out, I`ve seen a lot of poached doe remains on the side of the logging roads but other than the Down Town Bucks, nothing. So I came up with the idea of spending 2 days and 1 night on Texada, money is very tight so I NEED to score. Also some idea as to where to go once on Texada would be a great help as I don`t want to wander on to private property.

So guys, any help on this subject would be great and much appreciated. I should also mention I`m handicapped, not to the point of immobility but, some days, humping it through thick bush is a no go for me.

Thanxs for any info.

Robin

d6dan
12-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Robin, I'm disabled also and have hunted Texada before. Spent most of our time driving around 1st,2nd,3rd lake and Bobs lake. Lots of deer movement and trails crisscrossing the roads. There's a Forest service campsite there also. Power lines and gas lines are a good bet also. Good luck if you decide to go.

LiquidGuides01
12-05-2014, 01:38 PM
PM sent robin

dhog
12-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Shingle beach campsite is a good spot to stay you can hunt on the fs road all the way from Mowett bay in unless posted there is a lot of deer over there but it is not a given that you will get one they were in the thick huck for doe season good luck

avadad
12-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Texada is not over run with deer like it used to be…that being said it is still a good place to hunt. I would call Dan at the Texada Inn and see if he can point you in the right direction. Last year we saw 3 deer in two days and got 2 of them. Good luck.

Robin
12-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the info, whether on here or by PM's. I'm on a very strict budget so getting 1 or,, if lucky 2 deer goes a long way to helping with my food costs over the winter. If I'm unlucky then I'm out a minimal amount of money and will have to resort back to rabbits and if really lucky, a cougar. I figured to stay at the Texada Inn and drain Dan for any or all the info he has about where to go once there. I know the weather will really suck but, fingers crossed the rains will let up a bit. Getting old with physical limitations sucks so everybody STAY HEALTHY.
Thanks again.
Robin.

markomoose
12-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Good luck Robin!Let us know how you made out? Cheers Mark