PDA

View Full Version : ice fishing kamloops

Steelpulse
12-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Anyone been out ice fishing kamloops area yet? Heard there's ice around, are the fish biting?

Liveforthehunt
12-04-2014, 09:44 PM
Yes and yes I was with a friend that pulled out a 6 lber 2 weeks ago out of red

twanger
12-04-2014, 10:03 PM
skunked at lodgepole the other day.

Trophyslayer
12-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Went out today with wife and kids we did ok for 2 hours
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n565/jordankrause/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg (http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/jordankrause/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg.html)

Sofa King
12-04-2014, 10:40 PM
them's some nice brookies.
is the top one a mack?

Firstblood
12-04-2014, 11:11 PM
weeeeell, since you asked steelpulse, I guess I could share my hardwater reports to date. Hit the hardwater november 19th in Kamloops with solid safe ice, and have had great success since then. Limits of brookies everytime only keeing 12''+ fish and putting the rest back. Heres a video I made the other day, all shot from a gopro under the ice and all took place in under an hour of fishing. I edited it to show the main highlights although much more happened which ill share later when huting season is mostly closed and everybody has a bad case of cabin fever. Seen some really cool stuff I never thought id see thats for sure. The first fish is a 13" brookie that hit 3 seconds after my bait went down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvjfptOGPYw

Sofa King
12-04-2014, 11:18 PM
very cool vid, blood.
bet those fish were happy to see some sunlight hitting the bottom.

Firstblood
12-04-2014, 11:35 PM
wait till I Have time to edit the interesting stuff. The spot of light on the left was refracting through my hole and I could not see it. but multiple fish, 7 to be exact are mesmerized by that spot and attack the dirt where it sits, like cats to a laser pointer. the camera will be down from now on and i cant wait to share the cool stuff.

knighthunter
12-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Neat video. Lots of fish there, First time I've seen anything like that. I'm impressed. Thanks for this video.

ultramafic
12-05-2014, 09:56 AM
Very cool...

thanks for sharing

mike

lbmmike
12-05-2014, 04:02 PM
That is a great video. Amazing how many fish hit your jig. I have been ice fishing twice and never even had a single hit. Obviously doing something wrong.

luckofthedraw
12-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Nice vid. Thanks for posting. I foresee a lot of new ice fisherman this year after watching that vid :)

WesHarm
12-05-2014, 04:21 PM
You caught me... now i wana go ice fishin!!, any suggestions for lakes around Kamloops?

300H&H
12-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Went out today with wife and kids we did ok for 2 hours
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n565/jordankrause/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg (http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/jordankrause/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg.html)

Great looking fish but I think you should change your name to "FISHslayer".
Great video.

Firstblood
12-05-2014, 07:39 PM
went out for my last day of deer hunting today, chased a few around but didnt get one. now its ice fishing full time, red is one of the most popular lakes around kamloops, pretty consistent too, i used to fish out by the island and never had a problem catchin fish, seen some bigguns there too. but there are lots of lakes closer than that. pretty much any stocked lake will produce. Lodgpole, walloper, edith are all pretty good. just find a good spot on the lake, thats the hard part, 15 feet in the wrong direction can make it or break it. ive spent 60+ days a year in the last few years out on the hardwater, love the student life, and ive found a few spots that always have fish. the morning of the video i caught 25 or so brookies over 10" and played keep away with the little bait stealing buggers. the rainbows in the lake are pretty hard to catch but ive seen some pushing 10 pounds, my bigggest so far is just under 7.

andyk
12-12-2014, 07:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR7ovelmTL4&feature=youtu.be

Here is a quick Video of some Brook Trout from another local Kamloops Lake. None of the big guys were overly interested.

stinkyduck
12-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Firstblood that was awesome!!! makes want to replace all the ice gear that was stolen from my cabin at red lake last april!!! The scumbag dropped his ID and the cops could careless!!

Firstblood
12-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Great vid andy, gotta love it when the fish swim by without a care, damn them! Im sure the folks here on HBC would love to know the guys name and address, we can show you we care.

luckofthedraw
12-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Its been warm. Any news of how the lakes are holding up?

Steelpulse
12-14-2014, 01:21 AM
Most likely just fine but I don't have any new updates from the area

RBooth
12-14-2014, 06:53 AM
My friend drove by Heffley on his way to Sunpeaks and it was frozen solid with someone fishing it. I would guess all lakes that had 4-6" of ice on them before the few warm days we had would be safe (it takes along time to degrade 4-6" of solid ice). Might still be soupy on some lakes that has snow on them before that melt though; bring the rubbers just in case ;)

Cyrus
12-14-2014, 08:31 AM
lakes were opening up again in reg 5...lakes would be a bit sketchy i would think to get out on....

shed-hunter1
12-14-2014, 05:44 PM
I went out today ice was about 5inchs limited out in a hour and a half 4 brookies 1 rainbow

tigrr
12-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Lakes around Horsefly have insufficient ice for a person yet. Chomping at the bit.

shed-hunter1
12-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Lakes around Horsefly have insufficient ice for a person yet. Chomping at the bit.
Was beaver dam a complete winter kill last year

tigrr
12-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Was beaver dam a complete winter kill last year

That lake is 250 kms south from horsefly. Never been there. Looks interesting though.

Lillypuff
12-15-2014, 03:56 PM
fished black lake by roche on Sunday. 6 inches of ice, caught 1 and lost a couple at the hole. 15 inches

shed-hunter1
01-01-2015, 01:52 PM
any body been out ive been skunked 2 times in a row was on the ice at first light both times

Steelpulse
01-01-2015, 07:06 PM
If you have been skunked 2 times in a row were you in one spot, we notice quite regularly 10 feet can make a huge difference during ice season, it's all about finding the fish and then catching lots, what lakes you fishing? I know the fishing is good at a few locations right now and most of the winter, getting to large rainbow season, we usually catch the biggest bows mid season

also can depend what you are using, try a variety of things, even a quarter inch worm size difference can be the difference in a limit or no fish at all

M.Dean
01-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Lots of sled's and quads on the ice up here the past few days, so I'd think the ice should be quite safe on most higher lakes. I haven't been ice fishing yet this winter, but I normally use a brass and silver flasher about 2 inches long, then about 14 to 18 inches of leader with Krill for bait. I drop it till it hit's bottom, then bring it up about 2 or so feet, then sit on my quad, vest plugged in drinking coffee and watch the bobber, works for the lakes around here. Good Luck and have fun out there!

shed-hunter1
01-01-2015, 09:26 PM
been fishing edith t horseshoe been on the move quite a bit seeing fish but no bites tried corn dew worms meal worms gulp bait shrimp jigs ice flies was catching lots earlier but not so much now I think the brookies are getting lethargic

shed-hunter1
01-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Lots of sled's and quads on the ice up here the past few days, so I'd think the ice should be quite safe on most higher lakes. I haven't been ice fishing yet this winter, but I normally use a brass and silver flasher about 2 inches long, then about 14 to 18 inches of leader with Krill for bait. I drop it till it hit's bottom, then bring it up about 2 or so feet, then sit on my quad, vest plugged in drinking coffee and watch the bobber, works for the lakes around here. Good Luck and have fun out there!

I headed up your area last year this time caught fish but no size are there any decent fish up there

luckofthedraw
01-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Caught a few at Edith over the last week. A buddy of mine is coming up for a few days of fishing. I was thinking I'd try Red for the first time, but I'm also hearing that is fishing slow right now. Knouff, or Monte maybe? Does anyone have any insight.

Firstblood
01-20-2015, 12:37 PM
many of the lakes in Kamloops are slow right now, Edith and Red can both produce some amazing fish up to 10 pounds on certain days but lately fishing has been slow, still catching a few but no size or numbers. Heard a few people got skunked 2 days in a row at Red last week too. I was down at monte on sunday and had decent luck, lots of people catching koks, could have had a few limits if I stayed longer but was limited by the group I was with so the cold wind sent us home early.

luckofthedraw
01-20-2015, 04:56 PM
:???:
many of the lakes in Kamloops are slow right now, Edith and Red can both produce some amazing fish up to 10 pounds on certain days but lately fishing has been slow, still catching a few but no size or numbers. Heard a few people got skunked 2 days in a row at Red last week too. I was down at monte on sunday and had decent luck, lots of people catching koks, could have had a few limits if I stayed longer but was limited by the group I was with so the cold wind sent us home early.

Good to know thanks. He just showed up, guess we'll be trying to decide over a couple whiskey's now.:-D

Steelpulse
01-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Even though it's slow the bite will be on at some point in the day, usually just before light for 20 min and as its dark for 20 min or so it can happen really quick, if at red lake fish the island, monte is good check it out, saw a guys 6 year old daughter land a 30" bow off the island in red, and I got my largest brook off the island too, a 23" beast

luckofthedraw
01-22-2015, 05:50 PM
Is the ice still good at heffley right now?

stinkyduck
01-22-2015, 07:56 PM
30 inch rainbow is a big fish!!!

Steelpulse
01-22-2015, 09:38 PM
Ya it was a tank rainbow with some wicked colour

shed-hunter1
01-23-2015, 11:16 PM
headed out mon might wear my life jacket not sure about ice conditions

Steelpulse
01-24-2015, 01:25 AM
Where you going? All around loops should be rock solid, but obviously better safe than sorry, should always have some flotation with you

shed-hunter1
01-24-2015, 08:05 PM
Where you going? All around loops should be rock solid, but obviously better safe than sorry, should always have some flotation with you

haven't decided yet

stella-artois
02-06-2015, 11:01 PM
Does anyone know where to buy new blades for an ice uger

Sunzuki
02-07-2015, 12:13 PM
Wholesalesports, Slerplus Hurbies, Canbowdian Tire?

REMINGTON JIM
02-07-2015, 12:15 PM
bet those fish were happy to see some sunlight hitting the bottom.

Fish don't think or have feelings etc so it don't matter too them ! :wink: RJ

shed-hunter1
02-07-2015, 09:16 PM
any ice left might hed out tommrow been pretty warm

REMINGTON JIM
02-07-2015, 09:17 PM
+5 in the BOO today - lots of slush ! RJ

Firstblood
02-07-2015, 11:53 PM
anywhere around Kamloops right now theres is a lake on top of the ice, almost enough for a fish to swim on!, ice fishing would be a wet and wild adventure. checked out Edith and a few others this morning. saw a report on monte too on fly guys forum, wet as the dutchess on wednesdays.

Sofa King
02-08-2015, 12:02 AM
thermometer hit +13 today.
and almost that yesterday.
ice-fishing ain't in my plans these days.

Lastcar
02-08-2015, 12:47 AM
We are at Tunkwa this weekend, while certainly pooling areas it's not that bad. The fishing on the other hand... ;)

But don't take my report to seriously. I'm trying to keep 6 kids between 8 and 13 fishing, so between "I've lost my bait", "I think I have a fish!", to "I'm just going to lay my rod down and go over here and drill more holes" I couldn't tell you how it may fish if one was actually fishing.

What I do know is there'd be no money or sanity in starting a business for guiding elementry schools.

Steelpulse
02-08-2015, 01:45 AM
Someone get a chainsaw did some big holes, see if thhe fish come out and then fly fish

Cyrus
02-08-2015, 09:31 AM
so with all this water on the ice I was contemplating taking my boat out there and fishing 2 rods.....legal? lol

Lastcar
02-10-2015, 06:35 PM
Managed to get out ahead of the kids and fish a bit. Found them in 4 - 6 feet of water happily taking earthworms. Assumedly the run off into the edges of the lake may draw them closer to shore for a bit.

Oxygenated and warmer water coming into the edges of the lakes. They can take a deep breath and warm their toes, all that is missing is some chow. Which you provide and includes a free trip through a hole in the ice!

First and last light was the ticket this past weekend.

A win win!

I'd actually get out and deal with the mess on the lakes.