PDA

View Full Version : Killing wolves

cuervosail
12-04-2014, 04:31 PM
This is an interesting read .....

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/12/141203-wolves-hunting-livestock-ranchers-endangered-species-environment/

Cordillera
12-05-2014, 05:22 AM
Thanks for posting. It lines up with other research that a predator management program has to be large and sustained to actually be effective.

wiggy
12-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Yes but necessary. In Alberta they just proved that a wolf cull has given a caribou herd a chance at surviving. Without it and the herd would be gone forever.
Also; along with the wolf cull it is necessary to limit the calf/cow harvest. Once the populations balance; which is going take few years then and only then should we open the calf season again.
Right now calfs are getting hit everywhere. No wonder the population is diminished. Terrible management

Eastbranch
12-05-2014, 11:41 AM
Not sure why they needed another study on that when Bob Hayes already wrote the book on it. Killing wolves doesn't work unless you have millions of dollars to spend on it. And if you're willing to do that, you're basically just ranching nature. Notable exceptions include high risk caribou populations where a short term control program might be beneficial in reducing instantaneous mortality.

mikeman20
12-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Perhaps if we got a concerted effort in an area to completely take out a whole pack, rather than piecemeal wolf hunting in a large province

That would avoid the "splitting the pack into smaller packs" problem the study was based on

If we could get organised and choose an area, I would join in. It would be a good way to teach those of us (like me) how to hunt wolves

Eastbranch
12-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Don't waste your time: http://www.wolvesoftheyukon.ca/Wolves_of_the_Yukon/Buy_Book.html

Bugle M In
12-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Not sure why they needed another study on that when Bob Hayes already wrote the book on it. Killing wolves doesn't work unless you have millions of dollars to spend on it. And if you're willing to do that, you're basically just ranching nature. Notable exceptions include high risk caribou populations where a short term control program might be beneficial in reducing instantaneous mortality.

You are probably right, a wolf kill would need to be a ministry based effort / dollars spent to be successful.
But, if we are out there hunting, aren't we actually placing ourselves in the position to "ranch nature"??
If I hunt and consume prey ( deer / elk etc ), do I not need to hunt wolves and other predators too.??
Agreed, taking a wolf here and there may be creating more problems, if you go by some studies.
And if we left mother nature alone, meaning, we all gave up hunting big game, nature would fix it in time....in cycles, high and lows etc.
But, if we don't manage the predators, do we not run the risk of having GOS closed depending on what Big game is being impacted, and in what areas??
Right now, from an observation stand point, predators are in the high swing of the cycle...IMO.
So, what does that mean potentially for hunter opportunity, if big game numbers are hitting the low cycle.??
Possibly more shortened or closed GOS potentially.
It's great to see hunters wanting to help, but it may take the ministry to step in, if one wants to in fact, lower predators ( wolves ) effectively.
IMO

ellenbill
12-05-2014, 10:36 PM
The do gooders don't want us to shoot them or poison them. I wonder if they would object to baiting them laced with long lasting birth control pills. Don't laugh, sterilization might be the way to help control population explosion!

Gateholio
12-05-2014, 11:41 PM
Doesn't need to cost millions, just the will to use poison on frozen lakes, like was done before.

Bugle M In
12-06-2014, 01:11 AM
Doesn't need to cost millions, just the will to use poison on frozen lakes, like was done before.

good point, that would be a cheap way of doing.

RB2
12-06-2014, 11:31 PM

Hate to say it, but not not a fan of using poison on lakes .

steveo
12-07-2014, 12:17 AM
What kind of poison are we talking? Just use that chemical that they put in gum that is apparently deadly to dogs and anything else that eats on the bait will just have fresh breath.

.264winmag
12-07-2014, 03:40 AM
What kind of poison are we talking? Just use that chemical that they put in gum that is apparently deadly to dogs and anything else that eats on the bait will just have fresh breath.

Xyla, artificial sweetener...

Boner
12-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Xyla, artificial sweetener...
Really? Very intrigued...Are birds affected by this as well? Seems like too easy of a solution. I'm wondering about other collateral animal fatalities.

.264winmag
12-08-2014, 04:38 AM
Only effects canines from what I've been told. I'm no expert but have some fairly reliable reports of it's effectiveness...

hawk-i
12-08-2014, 09:32 AM
We used it (xylitol) in our house for cooking and in our coffee instead of sugar....My sons dog got into the cookies left on the table one day and ate about two dozen of them. That was two years ago and the dog is doing just fine!:)
Didn't seem to cause any discomfort to the dog at all. However, since that happened as a precaution we've stopped using it.
I'd have to say the hype about it being extremely poisonious to canines is over blown.

steel_ram
12-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Poisoning! How low can we go?

bearvalley
12-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Poisoning! How low can we go?

No kidding. A Xylitol free for all. Great topic for an open forum.

hawk-i
12-08-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm against the use of poison as a means of dealing with wolves...a NBL (no bag limit) year round hunting season in all zones with a bounty is the better way to go IMO.

Ranger95
12-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Poisoning any animal is a nasty business, they should have mandatory wolf kills with LEH applications or hunting licenses.

So you want to hunt? - go and kill a wolf first, bring it back, and get signed off - then you can have an LEH entry or a hunting license for next season!

That would take care of two problems right there - wolves and tree huggers filling in LEH's to save bambi or the Griz

bearvalley
12-08-2014, 11:12 AM
I'm against the use of poison as a means of dealing with wolves...a NBL (no bag limit) year round hunting season in all zones with a bounty is the better way to go IMO.

An aerial shoot will be the only socially acceptable effective method of wolf reduction. In the meantime we carry on with the band aid fix of bullets, traps & snares. And the odd Xylitol induced sugar fit.

steveo
12-08-2014, 01:24 PM
With out doing a pile of research I don't know how poison works on a wolf and specifically how Xylitol would work on a wolf. If anyone has any specific info please share. I think the word " POISON " is a very blanket term and when used and written in a sentence usually promotes blanket thinking that all chemicals/poisons have the same properties and effects.

.264winmag
12-08-2014, 04:19 PM
It could be nbl all year long, unless you can bait them you won't put a dent in them by hunting alone. Trapping would help but who has the time and knowledge these days. My ole man was a trapper, wolves are very intelligent and not the easy to fool. They have huge wolf problems north of Revelstoke, my hometown. They tried everything to thin them out to 'save' the caribou up there. Even baiting and nighttime shoots wasn't putting enough down. So then they thought they were smart and opened it up for slaughterfest leh on the moose up there. It used to be unbelievable for moose, now it's tough to find one. And the wolves don't have the moose population to eat so now they're eating more caribou. Just have to wait for them to die off naturally from lack of food, then hope the moose come back. Shouldn't take too long, seems like a 14 year full circle trend from what I've seen and heard from the veterans.

.264winmag
12-08-2014, 04:23 PM
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/xylitol-toxicity-in-dogs/4340

finngun
12-08-2014, 06:21 PM
With out doing a pile of research I don't know how poison works on a wolf and specifically how Xylitol would work on a wolf. If anyone has any specific info please share. I think the word " POISON " is a very blanket term and when used and written in a sentence usually promotes blanket thinking that all chemicals/poisons have the same properties and effects.

Hey? I have Xylitol on my tooth paste....finngun culling?? Or WHat:shock:

Walksalot
12-09-2014, 08:17 AM
You are probably right, a wolf kill would need to be a ministry based effort / dollars spent to be successful.
But, if we are out there hunting, aren't we actually placing ourselves in the position to "ranch nature"??
If I hunt and consume prey ( deer / elk etc ), do I not need to hunt wolves and other predators too.??
Agreed, taking a wolf here and there may be creating more problems, if you go by some studies.
And if we left mother nature alone, meaning, we all gave up hunting big game, nature would fix it in time....in cycles, high and lows etc.
But, if we don't manage the predators, do we not run the risk of having GOS closed depending on what Big game is being impacted, and in what areas??
Right now, from an observation stand point, predators are in the high swing of the cycle...IMO.
So, what does that mean potentially for hunter opportunity, if big game numbers are hitting the low cycle.??
Possibly more shortened or closed GOS potentially.
It's great to see hunters wanting to help, but it may take the ministry to step in, if one wants to in fact, lower predators ( wolves ) effectively.
IMO

Of course we are ranching nature, it is called A Responsible Wildlife Management Strategy. Maintaining a balance between predator and prey animals as best we can with the knowledge and resources available. We do this to try to avoid the peaks and valleys which occurs where Mother Nature is left to Her own devices.

Boner
12-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Has anyone ever been in trouble with the province for culling wolves? Including out of season?

Bugle M In
12-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Of course we are ranching nature, it is called A Responsible Wildlife Management Strategy. Maintaining a balance between predator and prey animals as best we can with the knowledge and resources available. We do this to try to avoid the peaks and valleys which occurs where Mother Nature is left to Her own devices.

Yes...I know we are ranching nature as you say under Wildlife Strategy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was responding to another poster ( on the same thread, just can't find the post # off hand!!!, my post was missing in this thread for days, seems the other post on this thread is still missing??)
who was saying " are we in the business of ranching nature!!!
I acknowledge exactly what you are saying, AND, I AGREE......GEEZ!!!
Ranching Nature is the same as Wildlife strategy, I was just informing the other poster that is what we have been trying to do all along.
And this thread on wolves, and what to do, is exactly pertaining to conversation on Wildlife Strategy ( Ranching Nature )
We can leave things alone, and mother nature will correct itself, without our help.
But that will mean we will see highs and lows in Big game #'s, probably consisting of 15 -20years of high and lows.
And many will struggle as hunters possibly to have higher success.
But with Strategy, we may achieve less high and lows, and assumedly, better hunter success.
And Big Game #'s hopefully flow in a more consistent pattern....more even keeled, so to speak.

steveo
12-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Yes...I know we are ranching nature as you say under Wildlife Strategy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was responding to another poster ( on the same thread, just can't find the post # off hand!!!, my post was missing in this thread for days, seems the other post on this thread is still missing??)
who was saying " are we in the business of ranching nature!!!
I acknowledge exactly what you are saying, AND, I AGREE......GEEZ!!!
Ranching Nature is the same as Wildlife strategy, I was just informing the other poster that is what we have been trying to do all along.
And this thread on wolves, and what to do, is exactly pertaining to conversation on Wildlife Strategy ( Ranching Nature )
We can leave things alone, and mother nature will correct itself, without our help.
But that will mean we will see highs and lows in Big game #'s, probably consisting of 15 -20years of high and lows.
And many will struggle as hunters possibly to have higher success.
But with Strategy, we may achieve less high and lows, and assumedly, better hunter success.
And Big Game #'s hopefully flow in a more consistent pattern....more even keeled, so to speak.
With a wolf management strategy in play it will not only create consistent levels of big game so hunters can have better success but will protect sensitive species and species at risk. It will not only protect species from decline but rebuilt and promote their numbers as well as help with human/wolf conflict. A wolf strategy will also benefit other stakeholders than just hunters and a management strategy will be funded from more than just hunting dollars as well.

Bugle M In
12-09-2014, 07:43 PM
With a wolf management strategy in play it will not only create consistent levels of big game so hunters can have better success but will protect sensitive species and species at risk. It will not only protect species from decline but rebuilt and promote their numbers as well as help with human/wolf conflict. A wolf strategy will also benefit other stakeholders than just hunters and a management strategy will be funded from more than just hunting dollars as well.

Well Put!!!!!!!!!!!