PDA

View Full Version : Good Weds shoot - 2 man limit 1.5 hrs

Gone_Fishin_
12-04-2014, 11:15 AM
https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10425081_10152382169032260_5100539270846585800_n.j pg?oh=232a139e620f4928f646c10ca5a508b0&oe=54FC4CAD

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10846248_748064458605992_7461128081149479146_n.jpg ?oh=ddbae72dd4b943104aea806e44941b12&oe=551D6800&__gda__=1426967004_01b80146cbfd2e03f564a1fa9fe3d81 7
Short and sweet:

Took the day off work yesterday to go hit an area buddy and I have been scouting the past few weeks. All our efforts paid off well.

Got there just before first light and scrambled our set up together. Decoys out, mojo spinning. Secured the boat, brushed it in with grass, camo sheet and some branches we gathered a few days earlier.

Birds were landing as i was setting up decoys so looked like it was going to be a good morning. Just a little later start than we hoped for.

Get everything together and back into the tinny, i can't even get my gun loaded and buddy says "double coming in, there locked up". Rather then flare them off with a bunch of movement i continue to work them with small single quacks and a little feed chuckle. Up jumps buddy, boom.. boom double drakes down. Great start so far. Quick retreive and 3 or 4 dozen are above doing some circles already.

Few greeting calls and one comeback after they circled far out and 3/4 dozen or so are locked up and inbound directly to our landing zone 20 yrds out. Quack.. quack.. digitdigitdigit.. boom boom boom boom, 3 more drakes down.

Retreive, another flock inbound. Can barely get 2 shells into the gun and boom buddy takes another drake. Smiling and laughing away and here comes some more while buddy is in the middle of the water standing by decoys. They flare and off goes another 3-4 dozen.

Little break and 20 minutes later here they all come again. Couple misses and few solid hits we have another 5 ducks down in no time.

Half hour goes by and here come some more, this time not so confident on committing. Had some fly bys, few sets flare on us. Not sure what happened then noticed a slight change in the wind and few dekes not quite sitting just right. Make an adjustment to our gear and mojo's. Next set of birds come in and they lock right up with only a few single quacks here and there. Jump up and boom boom down another 2.

Only 3 more to go and were done. Single coming in hot and heavy, thought it was a teal which i have yet to get so made an attempt. Darn buggers as fast as heck, by the time i jump up and get a bead on it is 40 yards out, i lead and let it fly. Crumple and down it goes, right on finally got one. Get over there and pick it up... its a widgeon (top left of duck pic) a small widgeon to say the least... i turn to buddy and him being new, yells out " you shoot a freaking sparrow buddy, what the heck is that thing" lol. Good laugh as this thing can fit in the belly of a hen mallard no prob. lol. Well thats it for me im done. Almost limited on drakes, afterwards i thought, damn should have held out. I have never limited on just drakes and throught it would be neat to do so. Oh well maybe next week.

Have a couple big sets circling us and i see 2 drakes break off and do a low circle behind us to get a better look . I tell buddy take em its 2 drakes. He jumps up and made 2 of the best shots i've ever seen. 40+ yards estimate straight up and he hammers one, so hard it just folds and drops dead. Swings over his head almost falling backwards now and boom, hammers the other same thing, drops dead. both ducks land 50 + yards away. Just amazing shots, love the way they crumple mid air and fold up.

Couple high fives and load up the gear, clean everything up, back to the truck and home to clean.

Great day, more of them to come hopefully.

And yes thats an extension tube... (have it plugged) was never originally interested in waterfowl and had my 870 tactical express all decked out the extreme with tactical gear. Took the rail system and accessories off, pistol grip off. Bought a 28" barrel and slapped her on there. Stock grip and good to go. Its my "multi use gun" from zombies, to bears to ducks. Was cheaper than buying a whole new gun...

Anyways, more stories and pics to come as i haven been bitten by the waterfowl bug... and hard. Training started on the GSP puppy last week and she is now retreiving wings and frozen brids in the backyard without hesitation or problems. Took lots of days but she's coming along great. Next is this gun breaking. Hopefully between shoots i can get out with her and start with some low calibers and work my way up.

nano
12-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Nice shooting

timbermilton
12-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Nice! Wish I could get out and have a day half that good.

albravo2
12-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Nice!! Can't beat the weather lately. I've had a couple good shoots but haven't taken any pictures so I don't dare post the stories!

ZacNap
12-04-2014, 06:41 PM
Awesome good haul

heyblast
12-04-2014, 06:48 PM
Very nice, a all drake limit isn't easy my last was four years ago. And that is a tiny Widgeon next to those Mallards

303Brit
12-07-2014, 08:52 PM
Nice shoot, good to see hard work and scouting paying off

boilerroom
12-08-2014, 01:31 AM
what a great day and great bunch of birds - congrats!

Do you just hunker down in your boat with your camo and facepaint or do you have a blind somewhere?

cheers,
boilerroom

Gone_Fishin_
12-08-2014, 09:24 AM
what a great day and great bunch of birds - congrats!

Do you just hunker down in your boat with your camo and facepaint or do you have a blind somewhere?

cheers,
boilerroom

Right out of the boat like that. We brush it in the best we can, cover the back drop with a camo sheet and stay very still, lol. We put some branches and such around the front and do the best we can with whatever time we have left until shooting light. You can see some of our decoys right behind us in the picture. A bunch of grass is missing from the pic, by the time we get in and out a bunch, gathered up the birds and moved some stuff around for a picture a bunch of it got moved. We have a bunch of pre-zap strapped bushels from buddies farm that were cut and dried last month. We keep these in a small tarp that we unroll and lay the bunches all over the whole boat and only have small seating areas uncovered.

Right now im working on building a portable PVC blind that works like a small boat slip. Simply assemble when there and slide the boat in like a covered docking area. Taking my horizontal pcs and strapping camo sheets plus tied grass onto them, then rolling it up onto the pipe for easy travel. Unroll the cross pcs and assemble into the verticals and drop sheets down from there. Will save huge on time and pre-scouting set ups. Should be able to pull up and assemble in a new location within 20 minutes. Also making a wedge like system out of pvc chunks. Almost like a flag shape that can be pushed into the groud with a triangle exposed to wedge against the hull to help with the boat rolling around while trying to jumo up and shoot. Right now we've resorted to finding some logs and placing uder one side to help with this.

Tīɡ
12-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Sounds like a wicked day! I gotta get out doing some waterfowl, been spending all my time chasing deer.

Sasqman
12-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Best waterfowl report I've read in a while! Thanks for sharing.

boilerroom
12-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Thanks for explaining - I was thinking I was wasting my time building a blind lol.

I'd love to see some pics of the portable blind once it's done - a great idea the way it will collapse and set-up!

cheers,
Boilerroom

B-rad
12-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Awesome job,,,,,,nice shoot