PDA

View Full Version : Deer poacher in Lake Country

East Van Ray
12-04-2014, 09:31 AM
http://www.castanet.net/news/Central-Okanagan/127990/Deer-poacher-in-Lake-Country

Local conservation officers in the Central Okanagan are dealing with a poacher on the loose after a mule deer was shot out of season.
Conservation officer Terry Myroniuk says he was called to Moberly Road in Lake Country Saturday morning to find the animal had recently been killed.
“That location is basically between Carrs Landing Road and the Lakes. There’s actually some forest up there and some trails. And what happened was mule deer were closed (for hunting) and someone poached a mule deer buck that had ran down into a residential area,” he explains.
“When I went to investigate, I actually observed the suspect, who had shot (the deer) in the area. It looked like he had come back to try and retrieve it, and he basically caused a pursuit.”
Myroniuk says he contacted the RCMP for assistance and gave chase to the man who escaped on an ATV.
“He took off and fled on his quad up the paved road through a residential area up in Carrs Landing and the police were called in for backup as well. We set up a perimeter and encountered the same suspect again a little later on that morning.

The man fled once again, with Myroniuk saying he weaved between two marked patrol vehicles that were attempting to stop him.

The suspect is described as:

Caucasian male
25-35 years old
Brown goatee
Longer face
White camouflage jacket
Dark pants
Stainless barreled rifle, believed to be 30/06
Driving dark coloured quad, with chains on rear tires.
Believed to have been in the area from 9-11 a.m.

“The person definitely blatantly poached this animal and blatantly chose to not stop (for authorities) and caused a pursuit,” says Myroniuk. “It’s someone that’s purposely poaching, and it’s just unacceptable, so we’d like any help we can in identifying them.”

Mule deer have been closed to hunters since Nov. 10 for conservation reasons, and anyone with information is asked to call 1-877-952-7277.

Spy
12-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Wow that's crazy hope they catch the POS !

Sofa King
12-04-2014, 09:50 AM
they couldn't even catch this guy on a quad on the city streets.
how do they think they will catch someone out in the bush?
referring to the new licencing and helmet rules.

but in regards to this story, I read this the other day.
again, they are assuming the guy on the quad is the poacher, they didn't witness it.
and he probably is, but they are making that up as of now.

bighornbob
12-04-2014, 09:56 AM
If there was a license plate on the quad they would know who it was??

BHB

Gateholio
12-04-2014, 10:54 AM
That's quite a brazen poacher who also is obviously dangerous with no regard for other people. I hope he is caught, fined, lose hunting rights and has his quad, rifle and snow camo jacket confiscated.

It will be interesting when plates are required

Ron.C
12-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Pretty certain that anyone who would willfully poach like this won't place registering/plating thier quad high on the priority list.

In any case, hope they get him.

steveo
12-04-2014, 11:14 AM
I agree with Gatehouse, it's all fine and good chasing the bad guys but so far I always hear they get a wee wee slap. When we start reading that a poacher was caught and his gun, quad, binos, a suspension of hunting priviledges and a steep fine was imposed then we will be getting some where!!!

Whonnock Boy
12-04-2014, 11:39 AM
If, and when this guy gets caught, not only should his hunting privileges be revoked and equipment confiscated, he should do jail time. Evading police, and provoking a pursuit deserves at least that!!!

Big Lew
12-04-2014, 11:57 AM
I agree with "Ron.C" about the plate and insurance etc.
I also think that losing his license, if he even has one, won't necessarily stop
him from poaching. Losing all his stuff and a really big fine and/or jail time
might discourage him though.

bighornbob
12-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Pretty certain that anyone who would willfully poach like this won't place registering/plating thier quad high on the priority list.

In any case, hope they get him.

No it probably wont but then if the ATV is not plated he can be stopped any time and issued a ticket for not have a plate. Does not have to be poaching, he could just be riding around.

BHB

Seeker
12-04-2014, 01:15 PM
I have a friend who lives in the area mention this incident to me. Based on what I know about the area, this guy most likely lives very close to the area of the poaching. He came and went on his quad, no vehicle from what I understand. I think they will get him. And like a few others have said, I hope he gets more than a slap on the wrist. This is the 4th episode of poaching I have heard about this year from hunters I personally know. I don't think I have ever had more than one in any other year I can remember. A little disconcerting. I hope it isn't a trend.

Big Lew
12-04-2014, 01:55 PM
There's more poaching going on then we hear about. Some of the poachers are very seasoned outdoorsmen and don't leave any sign around to tell the tale. I personally know of a couple of individuals that made part of their living by poaching and selling meat, both deer and cattle, in the Okanagan area several years ago. There was nothing I could do about though as they left no evidence of their activity and they divulged their activity to me after the fact without saying where they sold the meat.

recoil
12-04-2014, 02:07 PM
I am not sure that an ATV plate law would have helped catch this guy as he does seem to be one to play by the rules, it would also not shock me if he doesn't even bother buying a license either, what would be the point if he is shooting illegal game anyhow? If they catch him hopefully they are able to confiscate the rifle, quad and hand out some huge fines. A criminal charge of evading arrest would also be nice as it would prevent him from travelling. I have seen signs of poaching often the last couple years in region 3, we need more decoys/COs.

Fisher-Dude
12-04-2014, 02:37 PM
If he doesn't register his quad, he will be caught the moment he drives by a cop or CO with it in his truck. To speculate that this guy wouldn't register is like saying why insure your car because a cop might not be able to stop you. Sure, a few play this game, but 99% of people plate their cars, even the crooks. I think this guy would have registered, and here's why.

My guess is he shot a muley thinking it was a whitetail, deer ran and died close to houses, he gets reported while trying to salvage the deer, he panics when the law shows up and blows through the cop cars.

I bet a bad situation just turned to a nightmare and he did everything wrong. He must be held to account for what he did, of course. Now he has escalated it from a statutory fine to a criminal offence (flight from police).

That's just my guess, but the area this happened in is crawling with people and close to houses on a busy Saturday, not the typical area nor time that we find poachers choose to do their dirty work. A seasoned poacher would tend to do his deeds in a remote area when few eyes are on him.

I bet he would have had plates. I bet he would have been caught for this, too, if he had plates. That's why the COs want this legislation - they don't want it to write tickets for plates/insurance. They want to curb poaching and environmental damage. We should too.

steveo
12-04-2014, 03:44 PM
I agree taking hunting privileges away will not stop someone from poaching because they probably didn't by a hunting license in the first place but it is still a deterrent. If at any time on any random check by a C.O if you can't produce a valid hunting license and you have a firearm in your possession and it is because it has been suspended then the C.O should have the ability to let the hammer fall.

boxhitch
12-04-2014, 03:53 PM
The proper treatment would be to hang him up on a Wall of Shame , let his peers be the judge .

BigfishCanada
12-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Ill bet one of them houses he drove past had a security camera

albravo2
12-04-2014, 07:44 PM
I agree with Gatehouse, it's all fine and good chasing the bad guys but so far I always hear they get a wee wee slap. When we start reading that a poacher was caught and his gun, quad, binos, a suspension of hunting priviledges and a steep fine was imposed then we will be getting some where!!!

you forgot to mention the white camo. that was key in gatehouse's plan.

broncoo
12-04-2014, 08:02 PM
There are no whitetail in the area mentioned.

As far as poachers go I know a couple of the co's in the area, they report an average of 70-80% of hunters shooting thier out of season decoys. So 8 of 10 hunters are likely poachers.

OutWest
12-04-2014, 08:11 PM

As far as poachers go I know a couple of the co's in the area, they report an average of 70-80% of hunters shooting thier out of season decoys. So 8 of 10 hunters are likely poachers.

Would love to see those stats. Doubtful that is actually the case.

Mik
12-04-2014, 10:35 PM
No it probably wont but then if the ATV is not plated he can be stopped any time and issued a ticket for not have a plate. Does not have to be poaching, he could just be riding around.

BHB
.....and here comes the cash grab.LoL; and I do hope they catch the guy/gal

Fisher-Dude
12-04-2014, 11:00 PM

There are a shitload of WT on the Spion Kop. Buddies kill them up there every year.

Where did you get your stats from? COs told me the opposite of what you're claiming.

M.Dean
12-05-2014, 06:43 AM
Well, that's what we get for letting so dam many of those "Caucasian" people into this Country! What part of Caucasian was he from, North or South?

:mad:

Ranger95
12-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Well, that's what we get for letting so dam many of those "Caucasian" people into this Country! What part of Caucasian was he from, North or South?

:mad:

Thats actually quite funny - what would they have done if they caught the poacher and he pulled out a status card?

M.Dean
12-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Thats actually quite funny - what would they have done if they caught the poacher and he pulled out a status card? Well,to start with, I don't know any "Card Holders" dumb enough to chain up the rear wheels of there Quad!No wonder they couldn't catch him, his Quad was siding around so bad they didn't want to get near it! 25 to 35 years old, brown goatee and a real long face??? Nope, this perpetrator's from Caucasia, I'm sure of it!!! I've seen "There" kind around before!

:lol:

300H&H
12-05-2014, 04:31 PM
That's quite a brazen poacher who also is obviously dangerous with no regard for other people. I hope he is caught, fined, lose hunting rights and has his quad, rifle and snow camo jacket confiscated.

It will be interesting when plates are required

I did not think "plates" on quads were a good idea but in this case it would have made the CO & RCMPs job a lot easier. With that said poachers are not likely to have palates on the quad.
I agree with you Gates, they should loose EVERYTHING.

Bugle M In
12-05-2014, 05:22 PM
I did not think "plates" on quads were a good idea but in this case it would have made the CO & RCMPs job a lot easier. With that said poachers are not likely to have palates on the quad.
I agree with you Gates, they should loose EVERYTHING.

Yup..would have made CO's job easier.
And...yup, poachers may not have plates on.
But, they would get fined if they don't have plates on and are caught without them.

broncoo
12-05-2014, 10:20 PM
No stats Ken Owens from north okanagan

Gateholio
12-05-2014, 11:31 PM
you forgot to mention the white camo. that was key in gatehouse's plan.

Yup, that is key. Snow camo looks cool, so seize that too!!