PDA

View Full Version : My biggest whitetail to date!

brotherjack
11-22-2014, 11:34 PM
Well, after what had (to date) been one of the worst hunting seasons of my life, everything turned around in a split second that I never saw coming. It happened so fast, that I’ll give you some back story so this isn’t a “saw deer, shot deer, the end” post. Also, for those that don't know me, I used to live in BC and hang out here a bunch. I moved to Idaho 4 years ago, so this is a south-of-the-border story. Anyway...

Earlier in the year, I had ‘broke up’ with the guy(s) I was hunting with, and gone my own way (see other thread on that). Hadn’t exactly had a good run since then. Spent piles of money on gas and burned all my time off from work, and so far, all we had to show for it was a yearling doe and a fawn (I wouldn’t have taken a fawn, but mistook it for an older deer from a distance, and subsequently felt like a total heel for killing it). Other than those two deer (that we drove 2 hours away to hunt), we hadn’t seen a dang thing (that was legal to shoot). We got so little meat out of that mis-adventure, that we ponied up the $200 (each) for second deer tags (that’s how they do second deer tags in Idaho). Hunted hard and long since then, and seen absolutely nothing (except moose and other hunters - north Idaho is littered with both).

Finally, a few days ago, we got our first snowfall. I hiked around in the snow until my feet swelled up and a toenail on my left foot is probably going to fall off from the way my cheap snow boot was rubbing it. Mostly saw 0 deer tracks, or the occasional small doe+fawn pair of tracks, but they were just passing through, not milling around. Finally, after what seemed like forever (my feet and knees certainly thought so), I eventually found some area with enough tracks to make me think it was a good spot. No big buck tracks, but some larger doe’s, and let’s face it, I’m all about the steaks, so legal is legal, and does is legal in Idaho, so anywhere deer are milling around, I’m in for it. The Wife(tm) had also seen what she thought were some buck tracks about half a mile from where I'd found my area.

We hunted it yesterday, and bounced a few does while walking around exploring the area, but they were all crashing brush and whitetails vanishing into thick stuff so fast I never had a chance. Then, right in the last twilight of legal shooting light (we only get half an hour after sunset in Idaho), I missed a shot at what was probably another yearling doe (was bigger than I fawn, but nose/face too short to be a grownup). It was about 120 yards, in dim light, and it ran off apparently uninjured at the shot. As I walked up to where it was standing, I think I figured out why. Twigs and brush and junk all over the place between me and where it was standing that I hadn't caught in my scope in the heat of the moment. 0 blood at the point it was standing, and I trailed it’s tracks for 60 or 80 yards, and not a speck of blood anywhere. Depressing.

Today, the weather breaks nice and clear, so I figure to head in mid-day and get setup on a high spot in a chair to watch the big clearing near the tree line where I’d seen the most deer tracks. I head in about 1PM, with a water pack on my back, a folding chair on my left shoulder, and my favorite rifle on my right. I’m being a little cautious, who knows what I might jump on the way in, but I was cautious on a mission to get to my spot so I could set up and spend the afternoon glassing and waiting.

I had hardly got out of sight of the truck, when I saw some moose. I watched them for a few minutes for the fun of it. Then I headed on up the trail. I was probably half a kilometer along, when out of nowhere, without warning, a buck comes storming out of the thick brush on my right, maybe 50 yards down the trail. Any legal deer is a shooter deer to me, and this was obviously a decent buck, so there was no decision making process to go through. I'ma kill this thing!

I spun the rifle off my shoulder and into my hands and had it up and the safety off and crosshairs on him in less time than it takes to read this sentence. The chair had slipped off my left shoulder and was hanging on my left bicep, which was a little awkward. The deer had already seen me and was bolting (he had never actually stopped, just spun around and headed back the way he had come). I tracked him like I would a clay pigeon with a shotgun, and pulled the trigger just before he hit the brush he’d just come out of. He crashed into the brush and was gone from my sight. The whole event took about 5 seconds (maybe less).

Shaken, I took a few deep breaths and just sat down in the trail to wait a few minutes and let my heart rate drop. He was either dead just inside the brush line, in which case there was no rush, or he was not there, in which case he might not be dead, and I did not want to push him. I was very confident I had crosshairs on him when the gun went bang, so he was hit somewhere, I was confident. I waited about 5 minutes or so, and then headed carefully up to go see if I could find blood at the spot where he was standing. Nothing… I followed his tracks a dozen yards or so into thicker cover, and…. what was this? A chunk of bloody bone laying in the trail. A few yards more and the heavy bleeding started. I was feeling good about then. I felt even better when I realized that the blood trail was headed back towards my truck!

Then… the good feelings started tapering off.. 50 yards… 100 yards… 150 yards… 200 yards… still finding blood, but no deer. I called The Wife(tm) (who was hunting about half a mile north of me) to come help track. She did, and we carried on together, her tracking, and me watching alertly in case we bounced him. We found a few more chunks of bone along the way. About 300 yards from where I had pulled the trigger, we finally found him. He had lost too much blood to carry on, but he was still alive and looking at me. I finished him with a shot from my handgun (God bless America), shooting him at the joint between spine and skull. The initial shot it turns out was terrible shot placement. It had caught him kind of low in the back leg, right about the joint. But the 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip had done what Ballistic Tips do, and the leg was all but amputated, and only hanging on by a chunk of hide.

That left me only about 200 yards drag back to the truck. Which is good, because any more, and I might have died, I think. Even gutted, I swear he weighs as much as I do (250lbs). I can throw 120lb bales of hay around without hurting myself all that bad, and pick them up and pack them around for short distances. But with this guy, giving it all I could give er, I could only drag him 10 or 15 yards a time without a rest.

Anyway, that’s the story. Biggest whitetail deer I ever shot, easily. Body on him seemed like a mule deer from back in Canada when we were skinning and hanging him. Ad he has a funky deformed antler on one side to boot, which I think is awesome. I am a happy man right now!

Obligatory pics:

http://xjack.org/hunting/deer2014bigside.jpg

http://xjack.org/hunting/deer2014funnyside.jpg

Canuck2
11-23-2014, 12:18 AM
That is one humdinger of a adventure and a great story. You never know when something will show up out of the blue and your persistence sure paid off. Nicely done.

Spy
11-23-2014, 12:42 AM
Wow thats lucky taking shots at a running deer normally ends up in a wounded deer!

Buckmeister
11-23-2014, 01:12 AM
Congrats, cool looking rack!

quincy
11-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Shots on running animals are highly unethical. A beautiful buck like that deserves better then the horrible death he suffered through. Just my opinion.

Razor84
11-23-2014, 12:00 PM
God damn thats one hell of a nice buck! Jesus may be the answer, but in this case the answer would of been a few feet more lead!

brotherjack
11-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Ethics discussions are funny to me. My personal definition of ethics is "am I pretty sure that animal is coming home in my truck if I pull the trigger". Period. Everything else is just debating the rules of some game, and I don't play games (ie: hunt for sport), I hunt for food. And before you get up in arms, follow me a minute.

Is bow hunting ethical? If you want to talk about how much respect you have for the animal, doesn't it deserve a well placed rifle shot that turns out it's lights so it never knew what hit it instead of getting it's innards sliced up with razor blades so it can run off and lay down somewhere while the ethical hunter sits there and counts to 30 minutes while the animal is bleeding to death?

If you said yes to the 'is bow hunting ethical', tell me then, how far is an ethical shot? 15 yards you say? 25? 50? You ask 10 different bow hunters you'll probably get 11 different opinions. That's because all of them have different ranges at which they are confident that they can get it done.

How about hunting over bait? If you said no, how about hunting over a water hole? Over a clover patch? Over a farmers field? Again, opinions will vary widely.

How about hunting with dogs? OK for bears and cougars, you say? What about deer and elk? Answers about the ethics will vary from hunter to hunter.

Let's talk about rifle hunting.

Is off hand shooting ethical? At what ranges? Even if you have a rest, how far is too far? 100 yards? I know guys that can barely hit the broad side of an elk at 100 yards. 400 yards? I know guys (and I am one) that can put 5 bullets in a row inside of a 3 inch circle at that range, when using a good rest. Again, opinions will vary widely, usually with the skill level of the shooter, or with their emotional attachment to some idea or the other.

The real answer to all of the above is "if you are confident that that shot will result in a dead animal, that's an ethical shot, and if it's legal to do it whichever way you are doing it, that's an acceptable method of getting er done."

Now, to my case in point. First, I am a pretty darn good shot, if I do say so myself, both long shots from a rest, and up close and personal shots at high speed (that's not just my opinion, my pistol instructor says I have the reflexes to shoot master class IPSC if I wanted to). I had a 2x power scope full of deer at relatively close range (I actually think in hindsight it was more like 30 yards - as I believe he was about as far from me as my trailer is from my house, roughly, and my range finder says that's 34 yards). I was confident that that deer was coming home in my truck if I pulled the trigger, or I would not have pulled it. Was I happy with the shot placement? No, I certainly was not. Was I happy that he suffered longer than necessary? No, I certainly was not. Would I do it again? If I was confident in the shot, as I was when I pulled the trigger this time, then hell yes, I certainly would.

So, you guys who hunt for sport can debate what "true ethics" is all you want. The only two questions I care about in that neighborhood are 1) is what I am about to do legal? and 2) am I confident that I will kill that animal if I pull the trigger (or loose the arrow; I bow hunt also). Have I ever been confident only to be proven wrong? Of course I have, just like everyone else who ever lived.

Your mileage may vary, but that's how I see it.

.264winmag
11-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Nice buck congrats! In my whitetail experiences if you don't shoot at em on the move you're going home empty handed. Most hunters just don't practice enough to be proficient at moving targets. Shotgun trigger time is a great way to practice. If I see a buck I want to come home with me I'm gonna take some less than ideal shots. Ideal is for the cameraman IMO
cheers

vanillagator
11-23-2014, 07:23 PM
Tell me, how many of us go to the range and practice shooting clay pigeons with our rifles? "I tracked him like I would a clay pigeon with a shotgun". Clay pigeons don't bleed jack. And I am pretty sure they wouldn't feel a hell of a lot when blasted to pieces. An animal on the other hand, yeah, we all know, if it ain't done right, it's gonna hurt -- really--really bad right?
What I get from your read is "either way, this animal is going home with me, don't care how he goes but he's a going". I have let go countless, countless game due to not being comfortable with a clean kill. We really needed the food on some of these occasions but the animals welfare was and has always been more of a concern. It is just the right thing to do both ethically and humanely. I am fully aboard with Quincy in his statement of making such a glorious animal have to suffer so. I strongly suggest re taking the core program there brother jack and read carefully and with much insight on the part about humane kills. It's in there.

zippermouth
11-23-2014, 07:41 PM
i have passed a lot of animals because I wasn't comfortable with the shot presented. but I have also shot animals walking, running, bouncing and had very good success. never wounded and animal that has been running, walking or bouncing. shit happens to all of us, but moving shots are doable if you can shoot good. I have spent a lot of time behind the trigger shooting my pellit gun, shooting pigeons, and just shooting in general. there are more people who shouldn't be shooting at standing animals than competent guys shooting running game. by the way, I have never squeezed the trigger with the crosshairs "just on the deer". my crosshairs are always on the vitals or shoulder or in no way will I squeeze the trigger, this applies to all shots.

anyways congrats on your whitey!! pretty neat how his rack is! sounds like you got lucky on the shot though.

Liveforthehunt
11-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Fair enough good job on the deer at least you found it

brotherjack
11-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Glad to see the holier than thou internet rant committee didn't get disbanded than my absence.

The reason the story is here, is that I have some friends here from back in the day that will enjoy it (I don't know if any of you newbs with itty bitty post counts happened to notice, I been a member here for almost a decade, eh?).

So, to any of my old friends I have here (or maybe potential new ones), enjoy the story. The rest of you ladies can say whatever you want, it ain't no nevermind to me, and I owe you no further explanations or discussion about anything.

Cheers.

f350ps
11-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Congrats on a nice buck there Bro Jake! Couldnt have been that bad of a shot placement, yer eating him instead of the ravens! I've always found that the odds of taking meat home rises dramatically when theirs lead in the air, nice job! K