PDA

View Full Version : Tall hunting gear review

skuntor
11-22-2014, 10:29 PM
Thought I'd do a quick gear review for any other tall guys looking for gear that's not loose in the gut and short in the arms.

Boots: Kenetreck Hardscrabble, size 16
Took a long time to break in but they are not too wide for my feet which was an issue with other boots. Volume issue made up with some Sole insoles. Bought on Amazon.

Boot: Bogs, size 16
Good fit and comfortable. A little wide but no big deal. Don't wear in slash as I put a big tear in neoprene first time out. Bought on Amazon.

Pants: LL Bean Maine guide wool, Size 36 waist and un-hemmed inseam
Pants fit me great and are plenty long for my 37" inseam. They are warm and comfortable. LL Bean has good return policy. llbean.com

Layout Blind: Final Approach Pro Guide Xl
Huge blind and I fit well. Only drawback is that it does not have backpack strap so a PIA to transport. Wholesale Langley.

Waders: Cabelas 5mm neostretch, tall, size 15 boot
Boot is a little small as I though. Legs are pretty short even for a tall size. Makes the crotch in them pretty low. I kept them because it was all I could find that semi-fit. Cabelas.ca

Waders: Wright and McGill breathable, stocking foot, tall size
Fit is ok maybe a little too bulky. Feet are pretty tight and I worry I will wear seams out quick. Going on 3 years now and no issues. I don't use them as much as I'd like. Daves Sporting Goods, Lyden WA.

Anyway, hope this helps out any other tall guys out there. BTW I'm 6'"7 about 250lb. Still looking for a good fitting jacket that won't break the bank. Usually and XL tall fits me. Still looking for good wading boot as well. May order Simms in size 16 but only available in vibram not felt.
I have some hiking pants and a jacket from Eddie Bauer First Ascent that fit great.

Cheers

wlbc
11-23-2014, 08:59 AM
FWIW I get some of my hunting clothes at US Cabelas - NOT Canadian Cabelas. They generally stock most clothes in tall and broad sizes, especially in their own Cabelas brand.

For example, I wear a 52 tall in a sports jacket, that equates to a 2xlt or 3xlt in a hunting jacket - which they generally stock. I share your waist size although my inseam is about 35" so it is a real treat to get long underwear that comes in tall so that you are not pulling it up your calves to cover your butt. Their in house Merino wool stuff is what I buy. It usually goes on sale in March for 50% off. The shirts are also worth a look as they don't pull out the first time you bend over because they cut extra material in the body.

Wow. you are a tall drink of water. I'm only 6'4", 250lbs, and I find it hard to get clothes. Thanks for the information. PM me if you want specifics on how some of the tall brands fit, I may be able to save you some trouble.

skuntor
11-07-2016, 10:00 PM
Thought I'd revive this thread to do a short review for the Fjallraven Keb pants in tall. Great fit on these as the tall is actually meant for a long inseam. Some brands have the tall sizes run around 34" inseam which is not even close. I've worn these pants for a couple trips and they have been water resistant with two coats of Greenland wax. When they do get wet they dry quickly. My only complaint would be sticks and thorns embedding in the softshell part when bushwacking through waist high brush. Overall a good pair of pants that seem like they will hold up. Price was ok as I found them on sale.

I also tried on some of their jackets and the sleeves fit. Not exactly what I want in a hunting jacket but I might think about one for casual wear but quite expensive. Still looking for the right higher end jacket with 37" sleeves without having to get 3XL.
Had my eye on this LL Bean jacket but the exchange rate makes this one very expensive and I think it's quite heavy:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/88201?feat=813-GN1&page=bean-s-big-game-pro-gore-tex-jacket-camouflage&attrValue_0=Mossy%20Oak%20Country&productId=1473493

~T-BONE~
11-07-2016, 10:40 PM
I hear your troubles 6'5" 270.. 15 boots long arms too lol.. how are those llbean pants holding up?

TreeStandMan
11-07-2016, 10:46 PM
Good thread... I'm a mere 6'4" and although I've been able to find pants, jackets have been a problem. I've found that Columbia gear fits tall, but then I have to get XXL, when what I really need is an XLT.

skuntor
11-08-2016, 07:15 AM
LL Bean pants have shown some wear in the crotch from climbing over logs and stretching the wool I guess. I pretty much reserve them for really cold days when stationary.

skuntor
11-08-2016, 07:18 AM
I wish these other companies would get it in gear and make some proper tall sizes. Easier to find 3XL than XLT.

bang flop
11-11-2016, 10:34 AM
I found gators helped with short pants. I hunt expecting floods most days.
I found a few items that come in tall size.

Luckily I don't have to look for foot ware out of the norm.