PDA

View Full Version : Warnniklz Goat Hunt 2014

warnniklz
11-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Not living in Terrace anymore makes it hard to get out every weekend and do check-ins every week... but luckily I still had feet and eyes checking them out for me.

So if you can't tell... I got the same draw as last year. So ideally I wanted to come up the first week of November. But between my dad wanting to spend 3 or 4 days chasing moster mulies at the end of the month... aaaaand my boss kyboshing early November holidays... this is my week.

Last December, my merry x-mas present to myself was a new bow... never had owned one before. Well unless you count the bows made by Nerf. So I figured that since I got what some people consider a "dink billy" last year with a canon... poking him in the ribs with a pointy stick may be trickier.

srupp
11-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Hmmm be nice to your Dad..he is one of the best hunters out there...and the best shot I have ever encountered..im sure he still has secret monster muley places and tips...
I have the same Terrace draw for goats but health issues wont allow it...your bro got a good sheep...looking forward to another exciting goat adventure...be safe...
Cheers
Steven

Ambush
11-22-2014, 11:29 PM
'bout time you switched out from being a ghey, gun-goat-getter.

Good luck. You'll probably get it done.

coach
11-22-2014, 11:34 PM
Looking forward to this thread! :-D Good luck on your quest with the pointy stick, Warnniklz. Be safe out there.

NorBC
11-23-2014, 06:39 AM
Best part of bow hunting is pope and young goats are only 40"+ !! ;)

warnniklz
11-23-2014, 08:03 AM
On the night of the 20th had me arriving at NorBC's place around 9:30ish pm. I straightened out some gear and the it was lights out.

Though we could sleep in until 6... I was up a couple of times thinking we had slept in. But the time to roll out finally rolled around.

We to our parking spot before any visible light. As soon as we opened the truck door, there was a low cracking sound and a huge slide. Right then I wondered if all the goats just got wiped out.

Before we could get going, there was a piece of business I had to take care of. Now I'm shooting a bow. But I've only been able to really shoot it at ten yards in my basement.
https://fbcdn-photos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-0/10359553_10154345506085387_1921700292307936670_n.j pg?oh=510ab7e6e202d9f9c3da1495ca36e7eb&oe=54D2CE29&__gda__=1423352140_149e44c01a4fa8e7b8c3e9f7986005f f

So we hit the gravel pit and got her dialed in for 30 yards.
https://fbcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-0/10801595_10154867432565387_6473428812124682102_n.j pg?oh=2f38bc145e806c9e187ed55771a1e0fa&oe=5514EC36&__gda__=1427762531_b28e491aec1b2d688ef86a52bd53f2b a

Now after this order of business was taken care of, it was time to get balls on the mountain... eyeballs that is. Except it was foggier than Willy Nelson. We couldn't see the mountain side. There was some brief breaks in the fog, butit wasn't revealing anything.

So we burned down to another spot where spotting a goat is a gurantee.

Rhyno
11-23-2014, 08:21 AM
Good luck Warren, look forward to the story. Try to be a little more patient this year and hold out for a bigger more mature goat like James did:mrgreen: Haha.

i have no doubt you will arrow a gooder.

Woodstalk
11-23-2014, 03:04 PM
Draw and anchor, break at the waste, quick check on your ground clearance to bottom cam, pick a spot, aim hard, and let her rip! Good Luck! Hope you kill a dandy!

Ambush
11-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Use the bubble level on your sight!!!

warnniklz
11-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Right away we spotted a goat way down low. I could be at him within an hour. But further observation told us it was a kid. But no mamma kicking around.

We did a spot another nanny and kid on another face. There's a road i haven't really walked down. So we decided to follow it and see what happens. We ended up following a dried up creek bed. But we've all seen that movie. Boxed in and it got thick. We picked our way down and glassed a little more. Nothing new was aparent.

We wen't back to our first place of attack. The fog was rolling in and out a little more.

We've decided that mountain goats are fog wizards, controlling fog at will. I spotted a goat up a slide. NorBC said that it was exactly in the same spot as his was. Were we going to have a dejavu goat? Every time the fog would lift, we'd just get a glimpse of the goat crawling into the alders or timber. After a couple of hours of watching and a couple morw fog lifts, we discovered it was a nanny and kid.

We decided to hike into the fog and see if anything would move. It was foggy and we waited it out until 3:30. We could see maybe 80 yards at the best. So we decided to climb down and check our other spots.

Our spot where we seen the lone kid and nanny/kid pair was socked right in. So we were off to check another spot and were driving by the spot we were just sitting in. It had cleared right up. So just as we got the spotting scope set up, the fog rolled back in. But not before we seen 2 moe nanny/kid combos.

We waited until dark, then burned back to town. In total we seen 6 kids and 4 nannies. That night we found out from a fellow hunter that "Mamma Kicks" is hanging in the timber. That has me thinkong there's a daddy goat around there.

This is a stock photo of fog... but it represents what we were dealing with.
https://fbcdn-photos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-0/1461328_10154867434770387_1210488043319440310_n.jp g?oh=12c91fa4b3b5a4210a9d7c0bb771a768&oe=54D904B7&__gda__=1427050044_ec591799c36ea8ed324f44c15511585 d

Rattler
11-23-2014, 06:07 PM
Great story so far. Looking forward to the rest.

Good luck.

NorBC
11-23-2014, 06:19 PM
You better be breaking 100"s every two years. Hard to do on "dink mountain"... Your hunt seems uneventful, good thing you won't be hunting with that same idiot tomorrow.

Best of luck. Hope the fog frigs off, and the Billy's get all horned up again!

180grainer
11-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Draw and anchor, break at the waste, quick check on your ground clearance to bottom cam, pick a spot, aim hard, and let her rip! Good Luck! Hope you kill a dandy!

What does all that mean? Just asking.

warnniklz
11-23-2014, 07:21 PM
So today we rolled out at the same time. We flew by what we'll call the "Propane Hole" "Dink Mountain" and pulled into "31".

I personally haven't hunted the Propane Hole. Dink Mountain is where I got my goat last year and NorBC this year.

We pulled in to 31 hoping to see if the lone kid was down low still or if Mamma Kicks pulled out daddy boy. We glassed that for a solid hour or so. There wasn't any movement.

We burned down to Dink Mountain to see what was happening. The fog finally cleared. With the fog clear it was raining pretty good. The nanny and kid that were in the same spot as NorBC got his goat had now moved eastward by a slide and up just a little higher. We did spot a lone goat above a steep cliff wall in some alders all by himself.

Now every goat is a billy unless proven otherwise. Evrything about his body said billy, but between the fog and distance we could get a good read on his head. On top of that, he was in a spot that looks like it's pretty much impossible to get to. Unless i walk up the parallel valley and up and over and come down on him. Except trying to find him in a field of alders could be rather tough. And if he went down, he'd drop way down into a canyon that I don't think I could retrieve him out of.

So we glassed Dink Mountain some more. With nothing moving, we decided to see if we couldn't spot something in the Propane Hole. The lone kid we seen yesterday was lower now, but still a kid and still alone.

Last uear I tried explaining to NorBC how to get up Dink Mountain. He ended up going up some dried up creek bed. So today we decided to hike up it to see if something was pushed down in there.

We made our way up. Not going to lie.. it's pretty easy going... for this area that is. We climbed up 300 vertical metres where the creek bed boxes out. There was lots of sign in the area. We found a ledge up a little higher than the creek so falling ice wouldn't kill us. Dog The Bounty Hunter says "Ice Kills". So there's my PSA for this thread. Anyways we got up on the ledge and into some cover to see if anything was moving. We didn't see a thing while we sat there in the rain.

On our way up the creek we had spotted some green flagging tape that hadn't been there before. So after quite a while of glassing, waiting, watching, waiting, glassinf and waiting... oh and getting wet. We basically both said at the same time, let's go see if there's a teail where that flagging tape is. It basically went straight up a steep bluff for a hundred yards then ended at some thick stuff we decided to head back down.

We got back to the truck and glassed the other three spots some more. We didn't even see the nanny and kid on Dink Mountain. The impossible "billy" was still hanging out in the alders, but that was it.

Didn't have to deal with the fog today. Just rain. Pretty sure all the billys are recovering from the crazy goat orgies right now before chasing some more girls. So in short it was a pretty slow day today.

Back at er tomorrow... except if I get something, I'll be hauling him by myself.

Ambush
11-23-2014, 08:30 PM
I predict you'll get it done just on grit, guts and brute stubbornness. I'm pretty sure any goat could beat you in checkers though.

But you do present a great story line.

Tīɡ
12-02-2014, 08:29 PM
any luck chasing the mulies with the old man?

warnniklz
12-02-2014, 08:34 PM
any luck chasing the mulies with the old man?

I'll update my other thread

Tīɡ
12-02-2014, 08:43 PM
I'll update my other thread

Awesome! Btw great thread so far, its been a great read. best of luck on taking your goat!