PDA

View Full Version : Venison Question

Daybreak
11-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Can anyone comment on soaking venison liver in salt water overnight? I was told it helps remove the blood and improves flavour. I've never been a fan of liver however would like to try it. Any recipe ideas other than the old "liver and onions"?

280 77
11-22-2014, 06:11 PM
I am not a big fan of liver either but venison liver , as far as I am concerned , is in a class of its own especially if it's from a young deer.

MichelD
11-22-2014, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't ruin it like that.

A liver is a liver. This was my 46th deer season and I've always cut the liver out of the critter, taken it home and fried it up.

It's the best liver you'll ever eat.

11-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Well it could have been drained of blood right after it was shot by hanging it and putting a few slashes through it, but sounds to late for that. You can soak it in a salt brin solution but that also makes it dryer . I slice it in 1/2 inch slices, try to pat dry, put through a beat egg bath, then flour, cook in a pan with bacon that is almost cooked but fat has been drained, smoother in sliced onion, cook only till light pink in the middle, not cooked DRY .... THAT RUINS IT. Salt and pepper and vavoom. If it was from an old buck in full rut ...... It can appear gamey or corky looking, I don't eat those ones.

Good of luck and enjoy CT

Daybreak
11-22-2014, 06:38 PM
Most appreciated CT and others. A bit of bacon sounds good, just to give it a wee bit of grease and additional flavour. I'll give your recipe a go.

landphil
11-22-2014, 08:36 PM
Isn't eating liver is like eating the oil filter off your truck? :wink:

LupieHunter
11-22-2014, 08:47 PM
^ yep. The liver filters blood, toxins etc. Not something I would ever eat as I have some serious health issues but I've heard its delicious.

Daybreak
11-22-2014, 09:23 PM

Yes, you're probably right, but...

They haven't invented a truck yet that runs on clean mountain water, buck brush and various other shrubberies.:wink:

skuntor
11-22-2014, 09:27 PM
I just brined one for 24 hours. I usually don't like liver but this took the metal taste out of it. I dredged a bit and pan fried. Not a liver fan but better than any other I've had.
I should ask the butcher how many deer livers it would take for him to make liverwurst.

wos
11-22-2014, 09:44 PM
They must be drained out immediately to taste great. I cut it loose and sort of roll it and squeeze out all the blood before it congeals then place it on a clean pack or bolder an let it cool as I finish gutting. It will get a nice skin on it and wont make to much of a mess of your pack. I like mine best with onions and shaggy mains fried in butter if they are out.

jaeger
01-02-2015, 07:54 PM
there is only a minimal amount of liver in liverwurst it usually is 1part of liver to 4 parts of pork, pork skin and fresh bacon. So 1 2lb liver sould yeald about 6lb of liver wurst after processing.

I just brined one for 24 hours. I usually don't like liver but this took the metal taste out of it. I dredged a bit and pan fried. Not a liver fan but better than any other I've had.
I should ask the butcher how many deer livers it would take for him to make liverwurst.

TARCHER
01-02-2015, 08:06 PM
Fresh liver is ok. I eat it because that's the way I was taught to waste nothing. Now I aim for the liver.

avadad
01-02-2015, 08:08 PM
A chef friend of mine made pate from the liver of a buck I shot…it was delicious! You might be able to find a recipe on this website. http://honest-food.net

skibum
01-02-2015, 08:17 PM
I like liver, but the dog seems to like it more

1/2 slam
01-04-2015, 04:44 PM

No that would be tastier

M.Dean
01-04-2015, 06:15 PM
The Creator of all critters put the liver in the same general area as the Pee bag and Poop chute, that's why the liver fall's on the ground when you cut the animals belly open! And it tastes the same as the Pee and Poo probably tastes if a guy tasted them, that's why your suppose to leave the liver under the pile of gut's that just fell out and stinks real bad! I don't have any liver recipes, nor do I have any "Liver" "Heart" "and any other animal parts that don't have a bone attached recipes, they are not allowed in my kitchen! My Father hunted lots, he didn't waste any part of the Deer or Moose, and when my Mother cooked Liver for supper, olde Dad made dam sure we ate it, every bloody morsel on our plate!!! Even if he had to cram it down my throat!!! I think that would be "Child Abuse" now a days!!!

one-shot-wonder
01-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Fresh is key, try to eat it the day or two of...... The other key is cook it medium, over cooking changes texture and flavour. Sear it and cook a gravy and spread over spatula....... Mmmmm

01-05-2015, 09:12 AM
The Creator of all critters put the liver in the same general area as the Pee bag and Poop chute, that's why the liver fall's on the ground when you cut the animals belly open! And it tastes the same as the Pee and Poo probably tastes if a guy tasted them, that's why your suppose to leave the liver under the pile of gut's that just fell out and stinks real bad! I don't have any liver recipes, nor do I have any "Liver" "Heart" "and any other animal parts that don't have a bone attached recipes, they are not allowed in my kitchen! My Father hunted lots, he didn't waste any part of the Deer or Moose, and when my Mother cooked Liver for supper, olde Dad made dam sure we ate it, every bloody morsel on our plate!!! Even if he had to cram it down my throat!!! I think that would be "Child Abuse" now a days!!!

Thats halarious ........ Well I still like liver and heart ...... Can't talk my other hunters here, 3 of them into it though ..... It's an organ ....... Ya so eat it haha.

Best set served fresh in camp over the fire YUMMY

01-05-2015, 09:35 AM
I slice it and then soak it in water. Then drain well and pat dry. I have found this is the only way to get the blood out of it. You can try it both ways - soaking and not soaking - and see which one your prefer. The other thing is that I try to eat it the day the animal was killed or the next day.

I usually make it with caramelized onions and garlic, although I have made pate out of it too.

odie1830
01-05-2015, 09:51 AM
soak it in milk for about 1 hour, that how my grandma does venison liver then she mixes flour ,salt and pepper throws a few slices of liver in and the fries it

thunderheart
01-05-2015, 11:37 AM
cut thin .. egged and breaded .. some onions and bacon .. mashed taters and nice frozen pees .. mmmmmmm

BRvalley
01-05-2015, 02:58 PM
my recipe for my moose and deer livers this year....sliced thin, hang on oven racks at low heat all afternoon/day, take off racks after fully dried out, put into large ziploc bags, and give to dogs when they are good...

Ubertuber
01-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Liver is too good to waste on my dogs. They get the trimmings, but I get the lions share.
I slice it thin, add salt and pepper and drop it in a hot pan with a good amount of butter. Sear it quickly and turn over. Sear the other side and remove and serve with caramelized onions.
If you overcook it, and many do, it becomes a mealy, dried chunk of bleh.

zippermouth
01-05-2015, 05:24 PM
I don't care for liver. we soak it in salt water for 24 hours, and I prefer it cooked through. more onions than liver. lots of iron in the liver plus I don't like to waste it. ive packed stinking liver out 4+ kms!!