PDA

View Full Version : hunting from a portable blind.............

husky30-06
11-22-2014, 05:14 PM
has anyone been successfull when hunting from a portable hunting blind? i had my first encounter with mulies in my blind and got a strange reaction. the does became VERY unsure of the tent and made the bucks react, everyone runs off............ :icon_frow

BearStump
11-22-2014, 05:29 PM
a new blind will have alot of smell from the fabrics and manufacturing. Leave it out in your backyard for the winter.

husky30-06
11-22-2014, 05:39 PM
its four years old.......... not sure if the change of surroundings is what set them off

knighthunter
11-22-2014, 06:59 PM
Something new & unfamiliar to them. Their first instinct is to run and survive. Just my .02cents worth. I hunted whitetails for many seasons out of a blind back on the prairie's.

BearStump
11-22-2014, 08:07 PM
some guys will tell you never to hunt a ground blind the day you set it up......
I tend to agree, but sometimes there just isnt time to wait.

goatdancer
11-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Might help to cut some green boughs and haphazardly place them around the blind.

monasheemountainman
11-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Move it from the middle of the field haha jk

Stone Sheep Steve
11-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Brush it in to match the surroundings.

SSS

todbartell
11-22-2014, 08:33 PM
You probably would be wise to set up the blind a couple weeks or more ahead of when you're planning to hunt out of it. This might not be realistic on crown land though. If you're going to pop it up and hunt from it that same day I would spend some time brushing it in with natural cover to that area before sitting down. Probably best to do mid day before an evening hunt. It will help break up the outline of the blind. Try placing the blind in front of some cover such as the roots of a windfall or a stunted spruce tree

landphil
11-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Yup, I try to fit my "outhouse" blind into the "Christmas" trees as its the same shape, added a few boughs to soften the profile and I had a hard time seeing it from over 50yds when I knew right where it was. That is to say, on the rare occasion that it l actually use it. Despite my best intentions to set it up and still hunt an area it usually stays in the truck.

husky30-06
11-22-2014, 08:49 PM
i had about four hrs lead time to set up before i hunted. i didn't want to leave it during the day for fear of theft(crown land). i set it up in front of 8' pines, but my shot distance was short so i had to be close to the rub line. it was quite interesting, the doe was uneasy of me and the buck(2pnt) had no real care. as the light failed they came back down from the ridge he now had an uneasy feeling but still wondered nearly by me. the doe she made it into about 20' and started to snort and stomp at me........... the real kicker was when my gun stock tapped the side of the tent, she blasted off and he was right behind her.