PDA

View Full Version : Tips for beginner coyote hunter

jamjor
11-22-2014, 11:44 AM
I just began Coyote hunting. I have a few questions about it.

I purchased a .243 Savage Axis, a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 scope, shooting sticks, bipod, Primos Hot Dog call and Primos Turbo Dogg call.

I of course have all my camo, face mask and everything.

Can anyone tell me how and where to hunt in the Okanagan Valley or surrounding areas? the only open areas I can find are clear cuts. Nothing but clear cuts, and recently I have seen many coyote tracks and hare tracks in the snow in the clear cuts. Recently, I saw a coyote on the road in the area I was hunting in, but my scope was not yet sighted in. I also heard at least 2 packs howling after I used my electronic howler.

Yesterday I sat on a small hill in the middle of an old clear cut and positioned the caller into the thick forest. I sat for about an hour and used cottontail distress. The only thing that came close was many ravens, which circled around my call after I used it.

Any advice for me? where to go to set up the stand in the clear cuts? What sounds to use and when to use them? Where to point the electronic howler?

604redneck
11-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Get into the valley bottoms or the burns where its open more and make sure u carry all 3 cat tags

phoenix
11-22-2014, 01:30 PM
I'd start by using the "expert hunts" feature your call has. Start out quite quietly and slowly build the volume if the expert hunts don't do that already. Make sure of your wind direction and also try to position the sun at your back. Watch to the sides as much as out in front, they like to try to circle to be downwind of the call. The OK valley is big, whereabouts are you so we can give you an idea as to where to go. Also that .243 is a little big for bobcats and lynx so I would think long and hard before pulling the trigger on one of them if you want the fur.

albravo2
11-22-2014, 01:50 PM
great videos on youtube for how to skin a coyote. was just watching this morning. the air compressor method looks pretty interesting.

phoenix
11-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Oh yeah, fur handling. If you are doing this for the fur get hold of Pete on here and ask really nicely if he will give you a lesson or two. He is a master at fur handling and gives great advice on all aspects of it.

bang flop
11-22-2014, 01:57 PM
don't plan on deer hunting in the area after you try for yotes.... tried calling yotes last year and all I could see was white a**es fleeing the area. Couple deer stopped for a second to look around, yote called again and they bolted. It was funny to see them leaving dodge, they were not a fan of hearing yotes.

I'm sure if you asked a few farmers in the valley bottoms you would get permission.

good luck dog huntin!

jamjor
11-22-2014, 03:14 PM
I am in Kelowna.

It's funny, I went into a nice big open area yesterday to scout for coyotes and there was a big beautiful young white tail buck staring at us for about 5 minutes, 100 yards away. If only I had the tag and my 100gr rounds!

I don't plan on hunting any cats. Just dogs for the fur with the 58gr rounds.

two-feet
11-22-2014, 08:20 PM
keep at it and you will see success.

lone wolf
11-22-2014, 08:41 PM
Finding the sign , scat and tracks . And patience . Keen eye and when its blasting dont be moving around too much . I have gotten lots from cutblocks , it will happen for you , usually happens quick . I hunker down in the middle of cutblocks with a vantage view , but not exposed and let er rip . Yesterday was 45 min sound before anything came in . Usually happens within 20 mins . I also use a blackjack decoy . Adds visual for them . Most of my yote come within yrds of the call and check it out , so i usually set it about 100yrds away .I have been hitting for the past few weeks . Also if you can get near farmland or ranches they are always nearby .They will try to cross down wind to smell whats going on . But usually run to the call for me . Being comfortable and alert , had a few come from behind me ran beside me 30 ft away . I sit on the ground up against a tree , stump whatever , i use a stadium chair which is a cushion with back support . They are creatures of habit and usually hang the same area , i spotted scat in sept and went back 2 months later and nailed it .

todbartell
11-22-2014, 08:55 PM
random tips :

set up so the wind blows your scent across a wide open area such as cutblock or open field, predators will almost always circle downwind of where the sound is coming from
sit downwind of your call
face downwind or better yet hunt with a partner and set up so both of you can cover the downwind angle
use a decoy if possible, even a feather tied to a branch or fence will help draw them in
Dont aim high inside of 300 yards, you'll shoot over more coyotes than under
call for 20-30 seconds and be silent for 3-5 minutes, let them hunt you down
Dont figit around on stand. also set up in the shadows and break your outline up with some cover behind you

Ruffed
11-22-2014, 09:11 PM
I've called them in using just my voice and no visuals. It's worked for m3 about 50% of the time and they usually show up within 15 minutes.

todbartell
11-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Dont being calling until you're set up and ready for action. Ive had them show up within a minute.
Wait at least 20 minutes on stand, but 45 minutes to an hour if you hear coyotes or get a good feeling about the stand
sit tight for at least 10 minutes after you last call, some come creeping in slowly and take a while to show up
Dont slam your truck door
Dont be afraid to mix up the sounds but try to avoid the urge to try each sound back to back to back like you're surfing tv looking for something decent to watch
try starting stands with coyote vocalizations. this lets coyotes know another is around and can trigger territorial responses or curiosity. when you follow up with some prey distress sounds it creates a scenario where a competing coyote has nabbed some food. 2 to 3 howls spaced a minute or so apart to start your stand has worked well for me. Wait a few minutes and begin a rabbit or fawn distress
Try not to get too discouraged if you do not have success. Keep at it and soon the luck will change! Enjoy your time out in the field