PDA

View Full Version : (Nov.8) Reg. 8 Bull Moose

epicZERO74
11-22-2014, 10:39 AM
We(my dad and I) decided to go to Princeton to see if we could end the season with a nice buck. We packed, loaded, and headed out 4:00 AM to try and get there by first light. Once we got there, we cruised around and saw some mule does and fawns. On one road we were driving on, we saw a moose on an opposite road around a km away. We could not tell if it was a 2-point bull or not, so we tried to make our way over to the road. We found the road we thought he was on. We drove for a bit and spotted him up a hill a ways. We both got out, I stayed near the truck and watched it with binoculars while my dad went up to try to get a better look.

As the moose turned, we both saw it was a bull. My dad kept stalking in closer to try to count the points. BANG! The shot rang out. My dad gave me the "thumbs up" and I started to work my way towards him. When I was about 100 yards from where the moose was, the moose started grunting and thrashing around in the bush. BANG! the second shot. We go up to the moose and see it fell perfectly in a little hole. It was a nice 2x1 bull. We take pictures, then start the work. We tediously gutted him, and tried to pull him but he wouldn't budge. 40ish minutes and a ton of rope later, we got him out of the hole and slowly started dragging him down the slope.

As we got the moose close to the truck, we tied him to the truck and my dad started to drag him that way. Just as he started to go, another truck pulled up and a man(by the name of Bill) and his wife got out and Bill offered us some help. We untied the moose from the truck, and dragged him right to the edge where the clearing met the road. My dad pulled the truck up, and we loaded him in(thanks Bill!) Afterwards, we drove to my Dad's friend's(Keith) place, where we skinned him. We let him hang there for a week, came back, butchered him, and brought him home!

My dad with the moose
http://i.imgur.com/yFxupeJ.jpg

Me with the moose
http://i.imgur.com/fb04F5t.jpg

albravo2
11-22-2014, 10:46 AM
Good for you! That should be lots of good eating.

epicZERO74
11-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Good for you! That should be lots of good eating.
It sure is!

Mishka
11-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Nice way to fill the freezer. Congrats to both of you and thanks Bill for being a true outdoorsman.

NO IDEAS
11-22-2014, 12:15 PM
way to go congrat to the both of you

kennyj
11-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Well thats a nice bonous! Nice bull.
kenny

M.Dean
11-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Congrat's on a Moose hunt to remember! It's nice to be able to go for a hunt with your Dad, there times you'll never forget! And to get a Immature Bull Moose well going for a hunt with your Dad just makes it that much more memorable! Congrats to you both!

epicZERO74
11-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Thanks guys!

ElectricDyck
11-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Nice surprise for sure! Props to Bill, sounds like tender loins are in order..by the way I like the matching jogging pants ;)

6 K
11-22-2014, 06:51 PM
I can sympathize:-D I dropped a three year old bull in a hole with his legs neatly tucked under him once. I was solo it was a real chore getting him out of there.:confused::neutral:

300H&H
11-22-2014, 07:33 PM
I am seriously jealous. Congratulations.
And 2 thumbs up to Bill.

landphil
11-22-2014, 08:05 PM
A big congrats to you guys. Gotta love it when it all comes together like that. And now I know what a dead spike-fork looks like, we saw one opening day but it was too slippery for us.

HarryToolips
11-22-2014, 11:38 PM
Way to go guys, spikeers aren't easy to find!

mcmullmar
11-23-2014, 05:59 AM
It was a truly memerable experience. It took a total of 3 1/2 hours to get it into the truck. It was nice to have another hunter stop and spend his time hunting to help us. I know I will strive to be more like Bill.
There is nothing like harvesting a big animal, let alone sharing it with your son. I will never forget it.
Now if I could only get better at taking pictures.