PDA

View Full Version : In my backyard!

Cordillera
11-21-2014, 09:18 PM
I had a decent start to the season. One of my LEH partners calls me on day three of the early season to ask for moose packers. I cancelled my afternoon appointments and helped him pack meat. Seemed like a good start, but the rest of the LEH moose season was slow. Lots of nice walks in the forest....

Come October, when any buck opens, we usually see something in the area. Not a thing. One doe on the camera. I blame the weather. Then I blame the predators. Then I blame the biologists.....

During the open moose season, I saw a couple cows. On day two someone shot a bull from the tree stand I had installed in September. Good for them, but not so good for me.

4 point season comes around. Several does are spending time on my trail behind my house. I got within 10 meters of a nice two point, saw a couple other spikes. Lots of action, but nothing big. I tried to get off work early a few days to a half hour out back the odd day. Still no big fellas.

Friday the 21st rolls around and my last appointment ends at 4. I should have enough time for a short hunt. Ro my dismay, people keep talking. 4:05....4:10.... I'm saying to myself "don't these people know its deer season...?"

Finally, they stop talking at 4:12. Leap out the door, speed home, get gear on. Out back by 4:31.

Instantly see a couple does in the field. Hey, who is that? Quick look in binos confirms 3 points on the visible antler. Wait, check the other. 4. yes 4. He turns sideways and that is the end of the story. By 5:30 he's hangin in my shed and my wife is pouring me a beer.

I love living here, even if there aren't piles of deer, they eventually show up.

Argali
11-22-2014, 06:23 AM
Nice back yard buck! Lucky those talkers kept you busy to 4:12 or you might have missed him. Glad you had a good season and your wife is still pouring you beer!

But.. why weren't you in your tree stand on day 2 of the moose season? Dealing with talkers?

Cordillera
11-22-2014, 07:47 AM
You called it. Next year I won't make that mistake!

kennyj
11-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Looks good! Some palmation on those back tines. Heres a bettor look. Any more pics?
kenny

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5163&d=1416629063 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5163&d=1416629063)

Steeleco
11-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Wish I had a back yard like that!