PDA

View Full Version : PICKLED SALMON Recipe for Christmas time

11-21-2014, 06:04 PM
3 pounds of Salmon ( your choice of type ) Sox is best 3 cups pickling vinegar,2 cups of water,1 1/4 cups of white sugar,3 tbsp pickling spice,3 cloves chopped garlic,3 tbsp. chopped ginger,2 med sliced lemon, 2 med sliced onion. Pour Coarse Pickling salt over filleted Salmon, skin on, cover well with salt, place in a container and allow salt to work its way through thickness of salmon, I did 2 days of salt over fish, if its big spring do 2 days, smaller fish like Sox or Coho, 1 day is fine. Rinse off salt. Remove skin, soak in fresh cold clean water about 1/2 hour. Fish should feel firm or tough not mushy or the salt has not soaked through enough. Slice into bite size pieces, layer Salmon, onion and 2 slices of lemon, in jars. Pour cold mixture of ingredients with sugar melted over the fish to 1/2 inch of top of jar. Place lids on, put in fridge, and try it in about 4 days. try to see if ya can make it last till Christmas ..... not likely. Will last about 4 months ...... YUMMY ! CT

Ranger95
11-21-2014, 06:10 PM
That sounds really nice, can I pop over to your place for a sample? :mrgreen:

Is is there still fish around?

11-21-2014, 06:52 PM
Always fish around if ya know where to find em ......... R u going to bring Some Hottie dressed like Santa's helper ?? I hope she's hungry hahaGive it a try its a tasty one !CT

Clint_S
11-23-2014, 12:03 PM
Just to add to CT's post if any of you guys have never tried pickled salmon you are missing something.
Don't think pickled herring because it's not even close.
Pickled salmon is firm, not fishy and like he says a real treat a xmas. I used to bring a few quarts to elk camp every year and they would go fast.
I'd definitely recommend trying this recipe if you haven't before.

12-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Gave a number of Jars away, and I ate too much .... more on the go now though : ))

randymac
12-07-2014, 07:59 AM
I'm going to try this.One question tho, do you slice the lemon and put the rind and everything in?

12-07-2014, 10:28 AM
I'm going to try this.One question tho, do you slice the lemon and put the rind and everything in?

Randy, yes I do, I layer a couplef slices of onion then fish, onion then fish but have only 2 or 3 slices of Lemon overall in the entire jar, one bottom one top or so. Rind and all ! I use 500 ml jars , if your using 1 lt. Jars use more lemon . Let us know what ya think. It goes fast, next up.......

Lox ...... Garlic dill, and slightly smoked but not cooked Lox, or it ain't Lox Gotta love that past Sockeye run : ))

CT

thunderheart
12-07-2014, 04:14 PM
thanks for the recipe .... gonna try it..just a question .. when you say melted sugar do u mean dissolved?
thanks again

12-07-2014, 05:51 PM
thanks for the recipe .... gonna try it..just a question .. when you say melted sugar do u mean dissolved?
thanks again

yes, melted, actually I should have said boil the mix of vinegar, water, sugar and spices together as it brings out the flavour better. But this mix is then allowed to cool before poring it over the Fish. I'm no cook and just thought people would do it . Give er a shot, the most important step is to cover the fish with salt, coarse pickling salt and make sure it's firm, kind of tough feeling, this takes place of any cooking process. This is why I salt big spring for at least 2 days, thinner smaller fish like sox and coho a good heavy salting for a day at least. ENJOY everyone! I just jarred another batch today : ))

CT

JAYDEE
12-07-2014, 09:14 PM
I followed your recipe about a week ago. made four pint jars. None left to give away. I've got more salmon in the freezer so I'll be making more. It is excellent. Thanks.

BuckEye
12-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Was doing some research on cold smoking. The preparation is the same as this pickling method. Some online feel there is a possible food safe issue as the fish is never cooked and that the salting process doesn't kill all possibly present bacteria or parasites. The vinegar mix may negate any issue with pickling vs cold smoking though but thought I would throw it out there. I loved roll mops and am going to give this a whirl but don't want a 20ft tape worm trying to crawl out my butt in the weeks to come.:-o

12-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Personally, never had an issue with " said tape worm " butt, no pun intended over the years of pickled herring and salmon, if I ever got one from this, it would just make hungry ........ Maybe that's why I can't stop eating it.

All in fun

CT

thunderheart
12-09-2014, 08:01 PM
yes, melted, actually I should have said boil the mix of vinegar, water, sugar and spices together as it brings out the flavour better. But this mix is then allowed to cool before poring it over the Fish. I'm no cook and just thought people would do it . Give er a shot, the most important step is to cover the fish with salt, coarse pickling salt and make sure it's firm, kind of tough feeling, this takes place of any cooking process. This is why I salt big spring for at least 2 days, thinner smaller fish like sox and coho a good heavy salting for a day at least. ENJOY everyone! I just jarred another batch today : ))

CT
thanks......

BuckEye
12-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Fillets just thawed and I'm about to start the process. Looking forward to some tasty holiday salmon treats. 1 sockeye fillet and 1 thicker spring portion to try this out for the first time.
Has anyone tried slicing the cured product into strips and wrapping it around a pickle (ala roll mop) or some other fill prior to the pickling process. Probably unneeded by the sounds of it but looking for something more horderves to feed to guests.
I'll post the results when done.

12-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Hi Buckeye, I like small cubes but wifey likes it sliced thinner after pickling to put on crackers but hey, Have at er man. Try the wrap on the pickles. My herring roll mops go into the jars tomorrow, smoked spring is in the racks drying before smoking, also tomorrow. Lox is on da way too. Be sure to salt heavy and allow salt enough time to get through the full thickness of the fish. Big ..... big spring, salt longer for sure, texture should be very firm, NOT mushy at all.

Good luck with it and enjoy.

CT

Brno22F
12-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the recipe CT.. Being Christmas eve, I will be serving some that I made last weekend to some friends and family.
I have sampled it (rather heavily) and this stuff is great!!

12-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the recipe CT.. Being Christmas eve, I will be serving some that I made last weekend to some friends and family.
I have sampled it (rather heavily) and this stuff is great!!

Great to Hear Brno 22F

Yup we will be having our fill over the next Week or so thats for darn sure ! I did, Lox, Smoked Salmon and Pickled herring too.

Merry Christmas to you !

nitro hunter
12-25-2014, 12:02 AM
I would think that if you are using previously frozen fish that you wouldnt have to worry to much about parasites and such as the freezing process would take care of that,This stuff taste great,Just for a experiment i did some halibut to,hvnt tried it yet.It may be good or bad.

12-25-2014, 01:20 AM
Both my freezers go to minus 20 c so never had an issue , not ever before that either. Mind you I wouldn't like to do it all the time with fresh fish ...... May be asking for it then

glad lots enjoy it ..... A great Christmas treat ... Ah heck all year haha

Sasqman
10-04-2017, 09:38 PM
So made my first batch last weekend. Just curious, do u ever have jars that are a little cloudy? Some of mine are clear, and some are a little cloudy. Maybe the lemon fermenting a bit? Thoughts?

Thanks for the recipe BTW.

Paul

10-04-2017, 10:02 PM
Wow you pulled up an old recipe. Yes, I have had the cloudy look, not a concern as far as I know. Lemon as you say? Not sure. That said keep this well chilled, it isn't meant to sit in the fridge for a year ........ We eat ours up to fast any way. I hope you enjoy it.

Sasqman
10-04-2017, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!! Just tried some and it fantastic! Actually did a couple jars with some fresh jalapenos and another couple with red peppers. Will let you know how those turn out when I try them next week.

Thanks CT