PDA

View Full Version : Minimum mule/blacktail antler size

Sqrle
11-21-2014, 12:01 PM
In an area I've been hunting, I've seen a good number of young bucks. I'm just wondering if there is a minimum antler size for them to have before I consider taking a shot. I cannt seem to find anything in the regs regarding this. Thanks.

1980skywalker
11-21-2014, 12:05 PM
If the season is any buck you can shoot anything showing any visible antlers, if the season is 4pt it has to have 4pts on the main beam.

Blainer
11-21-2014, 12:08 PM
region 2?
fire away

Sqrle
11-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Great, thanks!

plumberjustin
11-21-2014, 12:46 PM
The definition section in the synopsis clearly defines tines/points. If it's any buck, fire away as long as you see some bone.

Tine or "Point" - means a branch of anantler which is longer than its breadth and is atleast 2.5 cm in length, and for the purpose ofdetermining the length of a tine
(a) the breadth of the tine is measured (ifextending from a palmation of an antler, then inthe plane of the palm) at a location at least 2.5cm from the tip of the tine, and
(b) the length of the tine is measured from itstip end, following the midline of the profile ofthe tine, and following the natural curvature
of the tine, to the midpoint of the straight linealong which the breadth is measured.

tundra
11-21-2014, 12:51 PM
Did you take the core? Did you challenge your test for your hunter number and cheat? This is basic stuff that is supposed to be known in order to get your hunter number. It amazes me how many people can not figure out the basics and instead of figuring it out for them selves they jump on here to be babysat.

digger dogger
11-21-2014, 12:51 PM
Im not positive, but i think a point has to 1" to be a legal point.
Maybe im wrong for a button buck.
Could be different if you can positively ID him as a buck.
(Nut shot, can see a penis sheath, ect.

chilcotin hillbilly
11-21-2014, 01:13 PM
You passed your CORE?

tinhorse
11-21-2014, 01:20 PM
Its better that someone posts on here a question that they are unsure about then going and firing away when it could be a closed season. The regs are (for some) a little hard to follow and know exactly what region they are looking at. Good for you for posting.

Sylus
11-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Did you take the core? Did you challenge your test for your hunter number and cheat? This is basic stuff that is supposed to be known in order to get your hunter number. It amazes me how many people can not figure out the basics and instead of figuring it out for them selves they jump on here to be babysat.

Better to ask and be sure when dealing with stuff like this. If you jump on someone when they ask a question it is not conducive to a friendly, learning environment; which is what this site is all about.

WesHarm
11-21-2014, 02:08 PM
I took my CORE, i got 100%, when I first looked at the regs, (after seeing alot of 4 point type posts etc.) I thought all seasons that stated "Buck" had to be 4 point. This was because I was only looking at Reg 2. as that was the only place I had thought about hunting in. Upon further inspection of other Regions I then realised that a "Buck" in region 2 did not need to be a 4 point.

...things can get confusing when your starting out.. even the REAL simple stuff. Thats why its nice to have a place to come and ask questions.

Shooter
11-21-2014, 02:29 PM
Im not positive, but i think a point has to 1" to be a legal point.
Maybe im wrong for a button buck.
Could be different if you can positively ID him as a buck.
(Nut shot, can see a penis sheath, ect.

A point does need to be 1" to be classified as a point however only a boney protrusion needs to be visible to classed as an antler. Tags are only listed as antlered or antlerless. So if it doesn't have visible boney protrusions it would have to be labeled antlerless on your tag regardless of of nuts or penis.

antlered animal
- means a member of the
deer family over one year of age bearing visible
bony antlers.

antlerless animal
- means a member of
the deer family bearing no visible antlers. The
small skin or hair covered protuberances of
male fawns and calves do not constitute antlers.

Ubertuber
11-21-2014, 06:40 PM
Some of you guys are brutal. It's a wonder any one asks anything on this web site.

Better to ask, better to get clarity.

11-21-2014, 06:59 PM
I read through them every year and have been hunting for over 45 years. Things change, rules change, wording changes. They can be confusing and don't feel had asking questions. Remember if hunting 4 pt. or bigger .... its 4 pt. NOT counting the BROW pt. On Bou it's 5 pt. above the rear pt. which many have also got confused on. CT

Big Hoss
11-21-2014, 06:59 PM
There are no dumb questions but there seems to be some real dumba**es that can't seem to give new hunters a break. Good on the op for asking rather than making a mistake in the field

digger dogger
11-21-2014, 07:00 PM
I have a couple young bucks around where i frequently hunt.
One has 2.5" pencils coming out. (last years buck)
The other is much smaller, body wise, and you can tell he's a buck from the darker tufts of velvet on top.
So i guess he ain't legal to kill, as he was born in the spring.

Salty
11-21-2014, 07:43 PM
As said some of you guys need to lighten TF up. Nothing wrong with someone looking for confirmation or clarification here.

B-rad
11-21-2014, 08:12 PM
Don't matter where or when a question asked,,,,,,always gonna be some school house girls bitchin up a storm,,,,,,NEVER hesitate to ask a question,,,,no matter how dumb you think it is,,,,,a person gotta learn these things,,,,,better to ask a question about something,,,,,than pull the trigger on something and get pinched for it

Mikey Rafiki
11-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Yes Sir. Imagine how people would jump on a guy if he posted about shooting an illegal a deer because he didn't understand the regs and was afraid to ask any questions.

.30-06 camsavbc
11-21-2014, 10:08 PM
In Region 1, a portion of MU 1-6 the bucks needs to be 2 pt or better see map A-29. The rest of the Region is good to go if you see 1" of bone or better. Antlerless only in portions of 6 MU's and see 6 maps. Don't forget to get regional shooting restriction area regs as well as they are not in the synopsis. There is more but the point is that asking the question is the start of knowledge, don't hesitate to ask.

I always tell my kids, "there is never a stupid question so please do not ever hesitate to ask. I cannot help or teach you if you cannot feel comfortable asking me a question."

I hope if I have a question about hunting or the regs, members don't jump down my throat for asking it. It must be self gratifying to know everything!