PDA

View Full Version : turkey hunting

bearheart
03-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Anyone know about hunting turkeys in the Boundary area,just bought new hunting license and bear tag, so I thought since I was going to be out and about I should check out turkeys. Any and all advice, info, appreciated as I no nothing about turkeys ( except those in Ottawa:) )Thanks!

palmer
03-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Wheres home for you...there may be good turkey hunting closer to you....

bearheart
03-21-2007, 08:33 PM
No Turkeys on Vancouver Island to my knowledge:smile: , thats why I'm going to the mainland. I'm also hankering for a color phase black bear as I have a couple of nice black bear rugs.Okedokey?I've read all sorts of stuff about turkey hunting in U.S. with calls and stuff, I don't want one that bad, just like to know general approach guys in these parts use. thanks.

300H&H
03-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Hey Bearheart, Wudda ya meen "NO TURKEYS ON VANCOUVER ISLAND" ?
There are TONS of them. We call them NDP / Liberals / Conservitives. They sometimes can be found in that big building by the ocean in Victoria. Also known as Turkey Capital of BC.:lol:

sealevel
03-21-2007, 11:17 PM
ya but them kinda turkeys after you clean the crap out of them there`s nothing left to eat.

kishman
03-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Someone should release them on the Island, I bet they'd thrive there. Bless your heart for starting another Turkey bird thread:lol: :lol: :lol: .

300H&H
03-21-2007, 11:28 PM
You may want to contact McKinny Cr cabins. He has the birds & bears on his road & you can stay there. The guy who runs the place is a member of this site. The phone # is in the regs. Just look in region 8. If you still can't find it I'll help you. I saw more turkeys last year than all previous years combined.

bearheart
03-22-2007, 06:55 AM
Thanks. I assume you hunt with ashotgun, what size pellets? I am a rifle hunter and don't do birds at all so any help greatly appreciated. Can you use lead pellets? Is my 410 too small? How about a 22? Is it spot and stalk? Sit in a blind? Do you use calls? What type?

mark
03-22-2007, 07:11 AM
Bearhart, .410 is way too small! 12 gauge 3 inch mag. is minimum!!!!! They are very tough birds! Ill be using crossbow this year myself! Best way is to call them in!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1538.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2511&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)

Derp
03-22-2007, 10:28 AM
haha sweet pic! cant wait to bag me a turkey sometime too

blaker_99
03-22-2007, 10:51 AM
mark looks good o you pal. season is coming all too soon looks like studying for finals is going to have to wait for a bit while i go and find some turks. good luck

300H&H
03-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Hey Bearheart,
Mark is right, 410 is to small. 3Inch is best & try a # 4 or larger shot. Just go for the head. They have no protection there. Smaller shot (#7) can literrally bounce off wings & feathers. It is VERY hard to pull a stock on a turkey. They are very very smart birds. If you are going to call them in besure to wear full camo includeing hands & face. Oh, and turn off your cell phone !!! Please don't ask how I know. Some birds can be paterned. If you see them in a spot one day you could just find them there the next day.

My best advice to you is ... HAVE A BACK-UP PLAN. Go to your local butcher and order a 20lb turkey. You will look good bringing home a huge bird and you'll feed the family too. Order some turkey feathers from EBAY for proof YOU got the bird. Your wife is more likely to let you go on another hunt if you are successful.

300H&H
03-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Bearhart, .410 is way too small! 12 gauge 3 inch mag. is minimum!!!!! They are very tough birds! Ill be using crossbow this year myself! Best way is to call them in!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1538.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2511&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)

Hey Mark,
Where are you going for your bird ? More turkeys are being seen up Dee lake road.

palmer
03-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Anyone know about hunting turkeys in the Boundary area,just bought new hunting license and bear tag, so I thought since I was going to be out and about I should check out turkeys. Any and all advice, info, appreciated as I no nothing about turkeys ( except those in Ottawa:) )Thanks!

My advice is to hunt towards the East side of the boundary....Way more Turkeys there...Rock creek area has some but not great numbers yet.

Good luck
Palmer

Buck
03-22-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm planning a hunt for turkey in the Grandforks area anyone see birds out that way?

palmer
03-22-2007, 12:33 PM
North of grand forks...

mark
03-22-2007, 08:38 PM
I bagged that sucker in the christian valley last spring. It was pretty slim pickings and the only tom we saw in 3 days! Im going a little farther east this year! Cant wait!

sparkymacker
03-22-2007, 09:35 PM
I bagged that sucker in the christian valley last spring. It was pretty slim pickings and the only tom we saw in 3 days! Im going a little farther east this year! Cant wait!

How far east Mark? Do they have them in Newfoundland?

Buck
03-23-2007, 12:50 AM
Thanx Palmer i have relatives who will be moving to Grandforks and i expect to be moving in there on weekends during the various hunting seasons lol Funny thing is they have the same name as you.

mark
03-23-2007, 07:02 AM
How far east Mark? Do they have them in Newfoundland?

Yes sparky, NFLD. Thats where you should go for your bird! :roll:

sparkymacker
03-23-2007, 04:59 PM
You never know.....:razz: We could always hang around until moose season opened?

Chuck
03-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Have seen Turkey twice below the highway and once above about 1/2 the way out of Christina Lake toward G.Forks. Fairly open area with those big pines along the highway. I think less than ten birds each time though and in the AM, maybe 9-10:00.

Mckinney Creek Adventures
04-01-2007, 10:25 AM
You may want to contact McKinny Cr cabins. He has the birds & bears on his road & you can stay there. The guy who runs the place is a member of this site. The phone # is in the regs. Just look in region 8. If you still can't find it I'll help you. I saw more turkeys last year than all previous years combined.

Thanks for the referral 30H&H. Yep, we have all the popular critters around here. Have been working alot up the Christian Valley lately and have not seen Turkey of Bear yet this spring. A bit early yet, but these warm temperatures are sure to get things out. Good luck!