PDA

View Full Version : Grunt and bleek calls for Mullies

lunabird
11-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Just came back from a trip from the States hunting White tail deer and was using call with great results. Does anyone use calls for Mullies? If so please explain your tactics, Buck grunts/calls, doe calls, fawn call.

Tony

srupp
11-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Hmmmm just seen em used last week...very impressive doe calls, fawn bleets, buck grunts all worked very well.
Steven

Glenny
11-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Cant remember the thread title but there's a good one on here about late season monstor calling using doe calls.

Bugle M In
11-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Hmmmm just seen em used last week...very impressive doe calls, fawn bleets, buck grunts all worked very well.
Steven

anyone know some of the brand names that work??

adamgarbett
11-20-2014, 03:13 PM
anyone know some of the brand names that work??

primos primos primos

tomahawk
11-20-2014, 03:23 PM
calling works real well, my partner and I have called in more then 1/2 of the 4 point mulies we have harvested in the last 5 yrs. you can bring a mulie in close after spotting them too far away to shoot, just need to know what call to use! best way is to learn from a pro or seminar on calling. Wayne Carelton who invented the reed call that everyone uses these days taught a bunch of us in PG in the late 80's , he was a magician with a reed call but a grunt tube can do what you need with mulies and black tails.

Bugle M In
11-20-2014, 05:49 PM
how to sound right??
short or long grunts..when to use etc??
any advice on that or links that give a good representation of what you do.
Don't want to sound like a whitie when hunting mulies....so whats different with mulies etc.

todbartell
11-20-2014, 09:44 PM
try an E.L.K. Deer Stopper, can bring the does on the run, bucks have no choice but to follow

dana
11-20-2014, 09:51 PM
I just Burp. I learned it years ago from an old Shockey video.

lunabird
11-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the reply all. I will have to try it when I'm out next.

Taurusguy
11-21-2014, 04:35 PM
This season my daughter had a grunt tube call from canadian tire on her. She would randomly call with it while we hiked around... Wouldn't ya know it the deer we seen when she was calling would stop and look. The next day we got us a 4pt in the area.

M.Dean
11-22-2014, 03:14 PM
My day started riding my Quad up the mountain in the worst freezing rain, snow and slush storm I've been in for a while! I could hardly stay on the road, in four wheel drive, and did I get wet! But, I seen more Deer in four hours than I've seen for quite some time, they were every where! I spotted 5 or 6 mulie does to start, shut the Quad off and started glassing all around them, half a minute later here comes another doe with a two point right behind her! Then, behind them comes 3 more bucks, all smaller if you can believe that! I knew that a big four point would come charging in, beat the crap out of the small bucks and take over the mating duty's, that never happened! I blew my grunt tube, used my can call, the one you turn over and it makes a sound, and pounded my horns together, not one of these screw'in deer cared about me, they didn't even look at me! Then, from behind a brush pile came 3 yearling deer, this years baby's, they wanted to play with me so I didn't feel to left out! I watched the bigger two point mount a few does, he charged a couple of the small bucks that tried to turn this into a three some, and they bolted! It's real hard to stay hidden when you walk into a pile of deer like this, try to stay out of sight well sitting on a 450 Yamaha! There's a road, trail that circles the area the deer were rutting in, I had to keep backing out of sight, then driving a couple hundred yards and take a different trail into the thick brush to look for the big four I knew was there. Well after dam near 4 hours, I figgered out that 2 point was the harem leader, for today anyway! Might go back up this afternoon and try a different grunt tube, be nice if I could slide, crawl or float a fair distance from my Quad and try calling, but Hey, I've taken a few decent 4 point's well standing a legal distance from my Quad before firing, so it does happen! I drove around the loop one last time before leaving, it's about a click across and heavily wooded, I couldn't count the separate deer tracks in my tire tracks from earlier this morning, there were two that really stood out, they were twice the size as the others, and they were headed into the thick brush where the orgy's going full swing! Sooooo, maybe, a old, beat up, wanna be deer hunter might get lucky yet??? I'll take lots of pic's if I do!