PDA

View Full Version : Loon Lake Nov 27 for first deer hunt!

boilerroom
11-20-2014, 01:21 AM
Hi fellow hunters. Been lurking the site trying to learn as much from the screen as I can before I start learning in the bush.

My buddy and I are going deer hunting for the first time next week - staying at the White Moose. I understand the owners are super nice and helpful - does anyone else have a suggestion of where to start?

I read at the east end of the lake, others have said north side and some south...

I'm all for getting off the road and hiking the bush if someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

BR

Gun Dog
11-20-2014, 11:13 AM
You don't have a lot of options since Loon Lake is at 830m and almost any direction is up. Most of the deer we saw were on the plateau North of the lake. Go East to hit the FSR and turn left at the gravel pit/shooting range. There's a couple of loops you can do. There's also an access road about 5km West of the end of the lake which is were we returned to Loon Lake. Here's a partial track log from a few weeks ago to get you started:
http://hilmar.smugmug.com/photos/i-kGJCFXq/0/M/i-kGJCFXq-M.jpg (full size (http://hilmar.smugmug.com/photos/i-kGJCFXq/0/O/i-kGJCFXq.jpg))

We didn't head towards Hihium Lake just because there's fewer clearcuts and more forests in that direction.

The images are from 2011 but Google Earth is your friend.

Grizzloonly
11-20-2014, 11:21 AM
The White Moose has a quad trail on their property that heads steeply up into that area Gun Dog pointed out. If you are not quadding you could walk up there. It might be snowing a bit now, but there was just a dusting around Nov. 11th. even at almost 1200 meters.

Fido
11-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Ask Berndt at the resort he can send you in the right direction we had good luck this year out past the ranch.

mike-juliet
11-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Far more clear cut to the south of the lake than the north, just have to travel a little father. Get on the 3400rd, follow it south and their are numerous branches heading off, elk lake, brigade creek, 341, 343, 344rd all have ample clear cuts.

BigfishCanada
11-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Head up any road you see is a great start but be very careful, the roads are ice, so if your driving a truck you could easily slide off a goat trail. Have chains if your driving a truck and be careful

boilerroom
11-20-2014, 05:18 PM
Thanks Guys! We'll be driving a truck and was planning on bringing the chains - I'll be extra cautious.

My understanding is that the area around the newer clearcuts is a good place to walk (slowly!). I was hoping to find some open areas that were out of wheel range, but it looks like everything is man-made with roads in and out...

I've been checking things out on Google Earth and saw a video on the forum about overlays so will get on that this weekend.

Thanks again for your input - anything else anyone wants to add would be much appreciated!

BR

ravensfoot
11-20-2014, 10:27 PM
Wow, super nice to see all those great tips from those that are happy to help a new hunter out. Good job!!! Lots of great info.