PDA

View Full Version : Seeking down and feather storage advice

Propslinger
11-19-2014, 11:29 PM
Hi all,

This is my first season of waterfowling and I am very much hooked. Got my first duck this past weekend and noticed a few lice on it while plucking. I Saved a few of the nicer feathers and am unsure of how to ensure any possible lice eggs or mites are killed. They are sitting in a bag outside my house for the time being. I am especially interested in learning how to properly process down and feathers in a non toxic way as I would like to save the down from my birds over time and make myself a nice pillow one day. Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

I have done some searching and haven't been able to find much information. Would freezing work? Would just being in storage for several months work? In the case of mites im thinking not. Perhaps just washing in hot water inside a cloth bag?

badgreenbird
11-20-2014, 09:59 PM
I think freezing will work... could also spray lightly with some sort of insecticide.

I also think a lot of waterfowl hunters get the idea of making a pillow with the down or breast feathers. I am one of many that started down the path, but eventually gave up. Curious to know if anyone stuck with it and actually made a decent pillow?

J-Man
11-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Freeze it for a few days will work

northernsculler
12-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Freeze then defrost then freeze again.

Have restuffed vests and sleeping bags to excellent effect.