PDA

View Full Version : ok.....not liking this comment...

scoutlt1
11-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Watched Global news tonight (not a fan but whatever).
Someone shot a deer in Langley, a "pinto deer". Obviously (if one believes the report), the shooter broke a ton of laws. Shooting from the truck, across a hwy, etc.....

The story included an interview with a CO. One of his comments was..."clearly the shooter was a hunter, because he was a good shot and was able to hit the deer in the head from (whatever) distance".
I am glad COs are out there, always have been, and have always only had good "interactions" with them. I don't envy their job.
That comment did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling though. Not at all.

Whoever shot that deer is not a hunter. Poacher, a**hole, is a better definition I'd say...

Thoughts??

elkhunterette
11-19-2014, 07:37 PM
I tend to agree with you.

Rattler
11-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Totally agree...person is a poacher, not a hunter!

Sofa King
11-19-2014, 07:38 PM
sure, but, odds are pretty high it was a hunter.
it wasn't a gangbanger poppin' a cap in that deer's ass.

adriaticum
11-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Let the details come out

TrickleCharger
11-19-2014, 07:39 PM
I don't even understand what point he could have been trying to make with that. A hunter as opposed to what, a terrorist? Like you said it's some asshole who happened to manage a head shot on a deer. Not sure why he would feel a need to paint all hunters with that brush.

300H&H
11-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Can you post a link to the story ?

Daybreak
11-19-2014, 07:42 PM
Semantics. The CO is probably run off his feet this time of year and can't be expected to guard every word. Probably trying to imply that the shooter had experience with long guns and using them to take game. That would fit the description of hunter. There are good hunters and not so good hunters. He certainly can't say poacher a**hole in public as you might like him to. Like you said, we should be glad he's on the job trying to protect the resource.

Stresd
11-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Happened back on Oct. 2

http://globalnews.ca/news/1681531/rare-deer-shot-and-killed-by-someone-in-pickup-truck-in-langley/

BRvalley
11-19-2014, 07:44 PM
I've met more than a few guys at the range who don't hunt at all, and are much better shots than the average hunter

tough line to draw in the sand, but shooting at an animal doesn't necessarily make you a hunter, in this case he's a poacher

hope they catch this loser

MB_Boy
11-19-2014, 07:44 PM
Piebald deer story here.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1681531/rare-deer-shot-and-killed-by-someone-in-pickup-truck-in-langley/

Sofa King
11-19-2014, 07:55 PM
you have to remember, he's speaking to the masses, the general public.
in their eyes, it's a hunter.
sure, to us hunters, someone who would do that is nothing like us.
but, reality is, it's usually hunters out there doing the poaching.
I've never understood the thinking behind just killing things for the sake of killing them.
it's kinda psychotic in a way.

GotaGun
11-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Legal shot/kill = hunter
Illegal. = poacher

Sofa King
11-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Legal shot/kill = hunter
Illegal. = poacher

there's many fine-lines though.
how about the member on here who's son just shot his first deer the other week.
turns out the season was already closed.
I'm not labelling that boy "a poacher".

ducktoller
11-19-2014, 08:20 PM
there's many fine-lines though.
how about the member on here who's son just shot his first deer the other week.
turns out the season was already closed.
I'm not labelling that boy "a poacher".

I agree with your points here sew fu king. But what happened with the man and his son on here isn't poaching it was an accident. That's why the turned themselves in

scoutlt1
11-19-2014, 08:30 PM
If you shoot a deer (don't care if it's a "pinto" deer), while in your truck, across a road, deer on private property, you're not a hunter. Plain and simple.
Hell.....we "discuss" on here if it's ok (legal) to have a magazine on one's dashboard for f**k's sakes!
A CO should know, and state, the difference. I don't care who he (she) is speaking to.
I hunt and trap. I don't poach.
I expect those "in charge" to know, and "define" the difference....especially to the general public.
You shoot a deer, or any game animal, from your vehicle, across a road, on private property....you are a poacher and should be charged.

p***es me the f**k off...

Johnny G1
11-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Absolute friggin Poacher but also typical BCTV BS news trying to get the masses to only think Hunter's and somebody with a gun. The only good BC news is none at all, Just my thought's.

Drillbit
11-19-2014, 08:40 PM
When a CO says "hunter" in a statement about a poached animal to the public, it does nothing but keeps the public perception of hunters negative.

teejay
11-19-2014, 08:47 PM
So....It takes an experienced hunter to shoot something "Point Blank"?

Sofa King
11-19-2014, 08:57 PM
the co is speaking from experience.
I'm pretty sure he's dealt with a whole lot more poaching incidents than any of us.
he's probably found that the vast majority of the poaching has been by people who also hunt.
some of you seem incapable of seeing the rest of the world through anything but your shooting glasses.
and why do you expect more from a co?
it's like you think they are on our side.
they are out there to regulate us, not help us.

bc_buckshot
11-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Who says it wasnt a off duty police officer?......they have good shots too

Sofa King
11-19-2014, 09:05 PM
Who says it wasnt a off duty police officer?......they have good shots too

and they do lots of shots at the headquarters pub before driving home as well.

scoutlt1
11-19-2014, 09:08 PM
SK......you're probably right.

I expect too much from people (especially the "smart" and "trained" ones) sometimes, if not most of the time.....

BigfishCanada
11-19-2014, 09:11 PM
SO more important any idea who the guy is? Anyone know a poaching hunter in Langley with a tacoma with a roof rack kinda like this?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/canopy3_2_.jpg

albravo2
11-19-2014, 09:13 PM
i am a hunter
I am a pretty crappy shot
Therefore, being a good shot does not prove hunter.

Chopper
11-19-2014, 09:14 PM
Totatlly singled out law abiding citezens with the actions of a scum bag ... Low comment on the co's part

Sofa King
11-19-2014, 09:26 PM
i'd be interested to know the % of poaching charges last year that were against hunters as opposed to people who have never hunted before.

jeff341
11-19-2014, 09:32 PM
Its a tough spot for sure. I imagine that the person who poached this animal also is a person who hunts in legal circumstances as well. It doesn't make the comment correct. Not everyone has a long rifle riding in their pick-up.....

scoutlt1
11-19-2014, 09:44 PM
Shoot a deer from your truck, across a road, when that deer is on private property, makes you a poacher. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I don't give a rat's ass how much or for long someone's hunted "legally".....you pull that shit, you're a poacher and a dick....and you should have your vehicle, gear, and licence yanked.

Backcountry Hunter
11-19-2014, 09:51 PM
My thoughts exactly when I saw the story. Pricks like that aren't hunters they're poachers. The reason real hunter have a bad name is because the press calls poachers hunters.

aggiehunter
11-19-2014, 10:30 PM
¸Scout, probably best not to believe that all the hunters in bc play by the rules....`cause they don`t.....so if a guy can hit a deer in the bean then theres some likelihood he`s a `hunter of some TYPE.....probably even licenced....

139grainsofhell
11-19-2014, 11:04 PM
I've seen this deer what a shame and what a waste of skin the a hole was that shot it!!

nap
11-20-2014, 03:40 AM
Piebald deer story here.

Wow!!! Oct 2nd and only hitting HBC now, thats wierd.