PDA

View Full Version : 2 Timber Bull Moose called out during the "heat" of the rut!

tomahawk
11-18-2014, 09:13 AM
It was already 15 degrees C as the sun broke over the second growth. It was unsually warm for a late Sept morn but the heat wasn’t slowing down the bull moose I had called in, he was beating the bushes just out of sight as he made his way towards me. It seemed like forever as I waited for him to show up, then suddenly his left antler come out of the thick undergrowth.

Back last July we had been fortunate enough to get a Shared Bull Moose LEH. 4 of us had crossed our fingers and got back our reward of 2 bull draws. I would be joined by my buddy/hunting/fishing partner of many years , The Sonoma, and 2 moose virgins , my son, aka Pal and his buddy who had never hunted big game of any type, aka Deaner.

The departure day finally arrived, Sept 22 and the first week of the rut peak for moose. Three of us left the Island in 2 trucks and my son stopped in Surrey to get Deaner and off we went. A nights beer and bullshit followed by a sleep in the Puddle at my brothers place and we headed for PG. By the afternoon our camp was set up, no need to start the wood stove in the tent because it was a toasty 26 C. Is this what they mean by "heat of the rut??"
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_3446_zps437d0fce.jpg

The Sonoma and I have hunted the area before and chose our fav spots to check and assisted the virgins on a choice of spots to check for the evening. We all came back at dark with stories of fresh sign, rubs and rutting activity that made us pleased that we would have some animals to chase around in the coming 2 weeks of our hunt. A hearty meal, several beverages and some bs finished off the warm evening.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_3417_zps4bab65d9.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_3418_zps65aa8e02.jpg
The first full day of hunting started as daybreak filled the air again with unusal warmth. It was 12 C on the thermometer as we chose our spots for the morning hunt, turned on our radio's and away we went in 4 separate directions. My goal was to make my way into a different area then the previous evening and see whether the moose were still using it. I made it about 35 yds off the FSR through the tangled alders when I heard the unmistakable sound of a moose running out of the thickets just ahead of me. Busted!! But that’s cool cause it told me they were still using the area. I made my way through the tangle for 200 yds and into the more visually friendly tree filled meadow. It still showed promise but no bulls responded to the call. Content after checking the area I decided as the camp cook to head back out to the fsr and ride the quad around and get some grouse for lunch. 5 grouse later I checked another side road for sign and headed it back to camp as it was close to lunch time and our planned meeting to share info.

As I pulled into camp I looked down the skid road at the back of camp to see him frantically waving his arms for me to drive over and talk to him. As I drove past the front of the tent I could see a note hanging from the ridge pole and realized something had happened that morning. Deaner had followed my favourite trail into the thick bush. I had described the area to him and the tracks and sign I had seen and told him to walk slowly through the 4 km trail and where to stop and check for answers from bulls. He made it close to the end of the trail and into the best spot for holding cows and ultimately bulls but he had thought he had gone too far as the surrounding area looked dry for moose. So as luck would have it he turned around and started back on the same path he had walked in. Mid trail there is a creek crossing with a small meadow that gives the best vision on the trail, you can see less then 100 yds but it’s the best spot for seeing any distance. He called and within 30 mins or so Deaner looked up and this young bull was staring him down at about 60 yds at the edge of the forest. One shot through the heart and he was down.

He had no knowledge of field dressing so hiked back to camp after a few selfies, wanted to wait for some experienced help but remembered our talk from the night beofre about grizzlies in the area and left a note on the tent ridge pole and headed back to make sure his moose stayed his. The rest of the morning and early afternoon we skidded the moose out with the quad, dressed the moose, skinned it and hung it in the shaded trees high in the air. The rest of the afternoon and evening we broke open the 40's and a sack and celebrated the loss of his moose cherry.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_3431_zpsc0890942.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/10711176_10154656478545593_1576425534_n_zpsa9e6279 2.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED

tomahawk
11-18-2014, 09:38 AM
So now we had 1 of our 2 tags filled so the strategy on this 2 nd full day of hunting was to hunt in pairs in our 2 favourite spots. The Sonoma and Pal headed into the creek area that he likes and I went back down my fav trail. As I approached the best area on the trail that always holds moose, I stopped a half km from the trails end and made a bull grunt, immediately a bull answered from down in the honey hole. I waited and responded when I felt it was the right time and he responded again. I quietly made my way 200 yds further down the trail and this time used a cow call but no answer. I am sure he was held up with a cow at this point and is hunkered down with her. So slowly and quietly I made my way into the center of the honey hole as the wind was in my favor. After arriving I waited a good 10 mins quietly and then gave out a bull grunt.....instantly he responded to my challenge. I could tell he was on the west side of the honey hole and near the old growth timber. I called again and he responded right away but was not any closer then the first time. He was holding up with the cow so I turned up the heat big time on him and made him believe I was there to challenge him for his cow. Within a couple mins I could here the brush and trees snapping as he beat the heck out of them as he made his way towards me and the possessive fight he was prepared for to keep his cow. He held for about 3 or 4 mins just inside the second growth scrub brush and beat the bush. This gave me lots of time to ready my position and rifle. I kept my eyes glued on the spot I believed he would come out into the open, even though it is only 15 yds wide it would provide me with a clear shot. Suddenly I noticed movement about 90 yds down the opening and there he was coming out but from where I stood I couldn’t see more then 10 ft of the opening. He stopped to look around and luckily his head was behind a evergreen and all I could see was the antlers sticking out of each side of the tree top. I side stepped on the soft ground but my right boot stopped on a grass clump and my weight forced the blades to rustle ever so quietly but from 90 yds away he was on to me. I held still and didn’t move at all. He turned his head forward again telling me he wasn’t worried about my presence but I know he didn’t see me either. My vision was still not the best so I needed to take one more side step and you guessed it, another soft sound of my boot crushing grass and he was alerted again. Same as last time, he was looking through the top branches of the tree trying to locate me but not able. He turned his head back looking across the opening and I waited now for his last 2 steps and my chance to put him down. After close to a minute he stepped slowly out from behind the tree, my cross hairs found the base of his swollen neck and one 180 grain nosler folded his back legs and his front half followed shortly there after as the weight of his hind quarters took him down.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_3434_zps82a0861f.jpg
I radioed the other guys and they brought in the quad and some gear to make our way the 4 km back to the camp with the bull in tow. The toughest obstacle was a washed out old creek crossing, we had to winch and add the weight of 2 guys to the front rack to stop the quad from going over backwards.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_3440_zpsca7fdb00.jpg
We got him hung beside Deaners bull and The Sonoma and I skinned him out, split into quarters so it could cool as much as 22 C cools while Pal and Deaner took the first bull into a meat cooler. Spent the afternoon prepping the meat and getting it as high as we could on the meat pole.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_3436_zpsfdc580cf.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_3448_zpsafcf0983.jpg

Good news is we got our two LEH tags filled , bad news is we got our two LEH tags filled in two days, so much for preparing for a 2 week hunt!!
Got the meat home the next day and cleaned up and still too warm to hang in the shed so off too the meat cooler!!

Side notes and lessons learned:
25 C temps didn’t slow down the rut a bit!
Last week of Sept and first of Oct are prime time!
The correct calls at the right time work well!
I have hunted this area since 1981, it was prime then but is well over grown now but might even have more bulls in it then it ever did!
I would have loved to have seen the bull that made this rub!! Top of the rub is about seven ft. It is rubbed clean around the full trunk with shavings and the bulls tracks everywhere. He is our target for our next LEH draw!!
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/unit468030_zpsd6f6fa71.jpg

markomoose
11-18-2014, 09:49 AM
Nice bulls and good story.We have a similar honey hole that we've pulled 20 bulls out since 1996.

300H&H
11-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Great bulls, congratulations.

luckofthedraw
11-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Congrats on your successful hunt. Thanks for sharing. GPS to the rub? haha.

nap
11-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Nice looking animals and congrats!!!!

Stillhunting
11-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Congrats on a terrific hunt! Those animals should be very tasty.

panhead
11-18-2014, 10:40 AM
That sure looks like the tent I sold to a guy from the Island many moons ago. You didn't get that on a snowy day in North Delta did ya? Great story and nice mooses, thanx fer sharin'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOC does not really mean “line of credit”, it really means “lack of cash”.

d6dan
11-18-2014, 10:44 AM
Wow, talk about a fast hunt!. Great story and pictures. Congrats to all of you..:-D

kilometers
11-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Love that last run tree

Getbent
11-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Right on...very good to hear that old spots are still productive, even with the huge change in conditions...thanks for posting!

kennyj
11-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Great story and photos, and a couple of fine bulls.
Thanks for sharing your adventure.
kenny

srupp
11-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Awesome story success and photos
Thank you
Steven

ElliotMoose
11-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Great story and a couple fine animals. Thanks for taking us along. Interesting to hear that the rut was in full swing with the temperatures being that high!

DR.DOUG
11-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Good read and pic's , congats on a very successful hunt.

moosinaround
11-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Nice animals for sure! You know the spots, thats for sure. I know a few local folks that never even seen a moose all hunting season! Old honey holes are good to keep close to your chest! I seem to know a deactivation that is very "similar" to the one you winched through, hunted it 10 years ago with my father in law. He had hunted it for many years prior to that when it was "new" moose habitat. Seems to me his stories were very similar to your guys adventure! Moosin

jaeger
11-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Great story and good eats Congratulations!

tomahawk
11-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Congrats on your successful hunt. Thanks for sharing. GPS to the rub? haha.

haha, sure thing, once you give me the gps coordinates for a gold mine!

tomahawk
11-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Congrats on a terrific hunt! Those animals should be very tasty.

Thanks! You betcha, both young bulls in good condition, 400 lbs and 640 lbs dressed. Great taste and tenderness!

sobirch
11-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Congrats' thanks for sharing your story

ydouask
11-18-2014, 09:03 PM
Great moose hunting story, good to see you doing stuff right... duct tape and all !

jeff341
11-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Great trip and a good read. I know what you mean about being too short. It is nice to get away for a few more days.

REMINGTON JIM
11-18-2014, 11:01 PM
Good Storey and a couple of Nice Bullwinkles too ! :) RJ

tomahawk
11-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Nice animals for sure! You know the spots, thats for sure. I know a few local folks that never even seen a moose all hunting season! Old honey holes are good to keep close to your chest! I seem to know a deactivation that is very "similar" to the one you winched through, hunted it 10 years ago with my father in law. He had hunted it for many years prior to that when it was "new" moose habitat. Seems to me his stories were very similar to your guys adventure! Moosin

I lived in PG for 17 yrs and hunted this spot for 16 of them, I know it inside out, every skid road and moose trail, mom's the word for sure. We had a lot of action for the limited time we were there. I'll PM you and compare some notes about the deactivation location!

tomahawk
11-19-2014, 09:41 PM
Great story and a couple fine animals. Thanks for taking us along. Interesting to hear that the rut was in full swing with the temperatures being that high!

The temp may enhance or slow the human seen portion of the rut but they have a given time each year to get er done and it goes on regardless of whatever gets in the way. The larger bull had no food in his stomach, no cud to chew for him, there was only a watery bile of about 10 gallons of liquid.

moosinaround
11-19-2014, 09:56 PM
I lived in PG for 17 yrs and hunted this spot for 16 of them, I know it inside out, every skid road and moose trail, mom's the word for sure. We had a lot of action for the limited time we were there. I'll PM you and compare some notes about the deactivation location!
Thanks for the offer Tomahawk. Next time your passing through my neck of the woods let me know, Ill BBQ some steaks and break out the single malt if your interested. I think your stories would be better in first person over some good grub! Moosin

nap
11-20-2014, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the offer Tomahawk. Next time your passing through my neck of the woods let me know, Ill BBQ some steaks and break out the single malt if your interested. I think your stories would be better in first person over some good grub! Moosin

Bla bla bla Moosin just wants more territory to explore, I have been in the PG area for a few years myself but happy with my own honey holes, I will raise moosin, BBQ you one elk steak, one moose steak and 2 bone beer!!! Lets get serious!!! Your go Mike.