PDA

View Full Version : Hunting for Moose in August Ft St John area.

Paulyman
11-17-2014, 11:41 PM
Anyone hunt around here or anywhere else up north during August?how bad can the bugs be and are there any considerations other than keeping the meat cool i should be thinking about?

rcar
11-18-2014, 09:15 AM
Getting the moose to move out of the timber can be really tough. During the heat of summer they tend to move mostly at night so it can be hard to find a shooter during the daylight. First and last light are your best hopes.

As for bugs, there are a lot as expected. I bought a bug net for my head when sitting over water so I could keep fairly still.

dakoda62
11-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Blow flies by the millions. don't cheap out on your game bags. Cheese cloth are a definite no no.

trapperRick
11-21-2014, 04:37 PM
I heard that you can soak your game bags in hot sauce dry them, then when you use
them and it will help keep the flies off? Never tried it but heard it helps

bucka
11-21-2014, 04:58 PM
30-38 degrees. Did it once and won't do it again. Hunting in shorts and a T shirt just didn't feel right. Neither did all the scrapes, scratches and bruises on the legs and arms.

digger dogger
11-21-2014, 05:50 PM
Lots of bugs, had to make a smudge to keep the flies off the meat.
Also sheets made into game bags keep the flies off.
But the heat cut the trip short.
Tough trying to keep meat cool in 30* weather.

Opinionated Ol Phart
11-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Its tough.... I know of one party that lost a nice young bull that was shot in the late afternoon, but not recovered until the next morning around 10am-- It had already soured..... The bears and ravens had a nice feast. In a second August hunt a couple of years later that i was involved in-- one of the other guys in our party shot a cariboo. It was quartered, and hung up... but NOT skinned. Myself and the other guy in our party haranged the shooter to get the hide off-- but he insisted that it would keep the flies to a minimum by not skinning it... IDIOT! After a day hanging he finally went to skin the meat---- too late..... It was a very quiet trip back to Vancouver....

zazman
11-21-2014, 06:16 PM
Nic long days in August but weather can be an issue. I have seen several wasted animals though. I live here so I can pick and choose cool days to go out and don't waste any time getting it skinned and covered or out to a cooler. Many guys come with generators and coolers/freezers from down south. If its hot though you are pretty much wasting your time IMO.
Bugs will be bad until the first snow/frost.