PDA

View Full Version : Got myself a boat, and a few questions

russm
11-17-2014, 07:12 PM
I picked up my first boat yesterday as a trade for my dirtbike that I never used, being that dirtbikes were always my thing I've got a few questions regarding the boat. It's in good shape and runs good and all that there's just a couple things I want to add/improve...

1- it's an older fibreglass 16' sangster, I want to be able to run an anchor off the bow for in the river but there's no current place to attach an anchor other than the eye on the underside that the trailer winch attaches to, that would be inconvienient and kind of dicey what are my options? (No I'm not considering doing it that way)

2- I want to have it set up for sturgeon and trolling what types of rod holders and down riggers would be recommended?

3-where is a good place to pick up a resonantly priced kicker mount? (Can be used that's not a big deal)

any by other suggestions I'm all ears, thanks.

Daybreak
11-17-2014, 08:14 PM
As far as attaching an anchor to the bow: buy yourself a stainless cleat and attach it to the bow with stainless hardware. Put a plate under the bow structure and hardware for additional support. Put a 5 foot lead of chain on your anchor followed by 100' of sinking rope which you keep coiled in a 5 gallon pail. Throw the anchor overboard and allow line to feed out as required to allow for current or tide changes. Once your line is set belay it to the cleat. This allows you to raise or lower anchor in a hurry without knots and still keep it secure. I cant explain "belay" over this page but if you google it you can learn the correct way.

RambleOn
11-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Buy Scotty 1106 electric downrigers. They have rod holders on them. Good fish finder with all the fixins. Get the tie in system (bar)for the kicker to steer off the main. Welcome to the water! Keep your wallet handy! All in good fun.

russm
11-17-2014, 09:37 PM
I was just at princess auto picking up a couple things I actually "need" everything else should just be add ons, I guess I may want a boat license too :p

sparkes3
11-18-2014, 05:46 PM
boat stands for
bring
out
another
thousand

Edzzed
11-18-2014, 06:25 PM
about the cheapest is http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Outboard-Motor-Bracket-Kicker-for-Boat-Up-to-20hp-Auxilary-Trolling-Mount-/360973741767?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item540bb62ec7&vxp=mtr Then get it shipped to http://www.blaineshippingreceiving.com/ Tell them 2048 sent you. I can walk in there and the guy knows who I am and have never had to tell them my number. You can email them or call and they will give you the heads up on signing up. Each parcel costs me 2.50 and they charge me in Canadian. LOL