Cordillera
11-17-2014, 02:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHTlKliD7P8

Mishka
11-17-2014, 02:26 PM
That was good. Thanks for sharing.

Caribou_lou
11-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Terrible video in my opinion. Just a bottomless money pit if the is no predator management plan. Which was not mentioned in the video. All it stated was that the wolf numbers increased with the population of moose. And caribou were the secondary food source. Knock the wolves back and give the Caribou a chance.

One has to ask how much money it cost to put one collar on? That was also not mentioned in the video. Tax payers or HCTF funds.

Brez
11-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Wolves may be a bit of a problem now, but you cannot log all of the old growth and have caribou - period. Populations are so low that they are not sustainable even without wolf predation. Transplants are not the answer, and expensive. Unless the logging practices change, they/we are just throwing money away (job creation, I guess). Wolves may just be the nail in the coffin. The powers that be, in all of their wisdom, opened up doe seasons to eliminate deer in the area of Kootenay Pass to starve out the cougar so that they would not prey on caribou. I guess that they figure if you take away the steak, they will starve or move rather than eat stew. Either address the real problem, or accept the loss and let them die off.
Again, just my opinion.

Grousedaddy
11-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Seems like moose are the problem time to open them up haha jk

Cordillera
11-17-2014, 09:06 PM
The recovery plans call for all the tools to be used. Lots of old forest is protected as forest companies agreed to protection almost a decade ago. Is it enough? Hard to tell. Yes predator management is also required. The provincial wolf management plan does signal predator management for caribou. Let's see.

Is it expensive? Probably. If our society can afford all they toys and services we have, I kind of think we can afford some investment in wildlife management.

steel_ram
11-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Terrible video in my opinion. Just a bottomless money pit if the is no predator management plan. Which was not mentioned in the video. All it stated was that the wolf numbers increased with the population of moose. And caribou were the secondary food source. Knock the wolves back and give the Caribou a chance.

One has to ask how much money it cost to put one collar on? That was also not mentioned in the video. Tax payers or HCTF funds.

Logging followed by Moose are apparently the problem according to the vid. Logging = Moose = Wolves. With that scenario, spending money on taking out wolves would be a stupid waste of resources.

Caribou_lou
11-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Logging followed by Moose are apparently the problem according to the vid. Logging = Moose = Wolves. With that scenario, spending money on taking out wolves would be a stupid waste of resources.
I can see these Bios are passionate about their Caribou. But if logging= Moose= Wolves is the scenario... You might as well burn the money without trying to manage the predators.

walks with deer
11-18-2014, 10:04 PM
wouldn't harvesting the deer and moose cause addition pressure on the caribou if preds are not targeted.

seems like forestry practice have really opened it up.