PDA

View Full Version : Kodiak Bow flex tents

Ranger95
11-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Does anyone have any experiance with these tents Kodiak (http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/flex-bow-tents/)

I love modern canvas tents (but can't stand wall tents for some reason!)

Going to to buy a bow flex on Black Friday sale (if I can find one), just asking if anyone on here has any experiance with the brand?

Daybreak
11-17-2014, 12:06 PM
No experience with the Kodiak brand but curious why you are headed in that direction.

I read the website and the products raise a few flags for me:

A 10 x 10 sleeps 6 ? Have fun with that.

6' 6" ceiling at peak of dome? Leaves little to no room for hanging gear.

The weight is not much less than some of the wall tents out there so no real advantage there. At 68 lbs you won't be carrying it on your back so why not get a wall tent that offers more usable space, can be set up with an external frame made from bush poles if you choose to. 8 ' sloped roof sheds snow better particularly if tarped and gives you lots of space inside to hang gear for drying. One of the best benefits of a canvas tent is the ability to get a good dry heat in them which enables you to dry your gear.

Just seeing things from a different perspective.

Ranger95
11-17-2014, 12:42 PM
No experience with the Kodiak brand but curious why you are headed in that direction.

I read the website and the products raise a few flags for me:

A 10 x 10 sleeps 6 ? Have fun with that.

6' 6" ceiling at peak of dome? Leaves little to no room for hanging gear.

The weight is not much less than some of the wall tents out there so no real advantage there. At 68 lbs you won't be carrying it on your back so why not get a wall tent that offers more usable space, can be set up with an external frame made from bush poles if you choose to. 8 ' sloped roof sheds snow better particularly if tarped and gives you lots of space inside to hang gear for drying. One of the best benefits of a canvas tent is the ability to get a good dry heat in them which enables you to dry your gear.

Just seeing things from a different perspective.

I'm actually going for the 10 x 14 - (two hunters maybe 3 at most on cots) we have no intention of carrying it anywhere, and if I do it will be with my RZR (trailer)

A 6.6ft ceiling is high enough - we are 6.1 tall and have no intention of hanging anything in the roof, like I said I really cant stand wall tents (spent too much time in that style of tent in the military)

This tent, like my other canvas tents - don't need tarps - if they did, I would sell them and buy something that doesn't leak! my existing canvas tents all have steel / aluminum frames and have stood up to anything the BC weather has thrown at them - bush poles don't do it for me personally.

Yes, canvas tents are great, dry heat is great for drying kit - propane works well in my canvas tents for that.

Thanks for the input - still wondering if anyone else has any experience with these Kodiak tents - they have awesome reviews all over the net by people who have them!

Daybreak
11-17-2014, 12:49 PM
I don't put much weight in internet reviews. A great number of them are bought and paid for by the manufacturer. Hopefully you get some first hand experience from users here. Sounds like you have pretty well made you decision and I'm sure you will be happy.

Hombre
11-17-2014, 12:58 PM
I 've had the 10x14 deluxe model for six years now,and love it.It is not meant to replace a wall tent.Bought for the purpose
of easy one person setup, plenty of room for three cots plus gear.My wife and I just got back from hunting where overnight
temps were -15c , we used a big buddy heater and were completely comfortable.If you need/want a wood stove then it's
not for you.

Ranger95
11-17-2014, 01:07 PM
I 've had the 10x14 deluxe model for six years now,and love it.It is not meant to replace a wall tent.Bought for the purpose
of easy one person setup, plenty of room for three cots plus gear.My wife and I just got back from hunting where overnight
temps were -15c , we used a big buddy heater and were completely comfortable.If you need/want a wood stove then it's
not for you.

Thanks Hombre, that's exactly the input I was looking for.

we don't do the wood stove thing (had a really bad experience one with one - can still smell the smoke in our down bags)

Six years you say - and still happy - that will do it for me!

Now all I need to do is find a good deal on one in the coming black Friday sales!