PDA

View Full Version : Mountain hunting fitness tips

moosehunter21
11-16-2014, 11:25 PM
Hey guys and gals. I'm planning on a goat hunt next year and need some tips to get fit for hitting the mountain. I'm starting now so I have lots of time to get fit with swimming and walking with weight in a pack but looking for advice from others who may have more experience so I can have the best possible hunt next fall. Thanks in advance.

hoochie
11-16-2014, 11:37 PM
cardio, lots and lots of cardio; hike hills. start slow, take short breaks. You will find that as you do this over and over; you will be farther on the trail etc than you were previously before getting tired. After a few times you will have passed the spot where you took a little breather.. this increases the more you do it.
This year there was a mountain that was kicking my ass early in the season. later in the season I hiked straight up a different, but steeper mountain with no problems.
And take water,, nothing like that dry throat!

BCbillies
11-16-2014, 11:41 PM
The best exercise is simply to hike the same type of terrain with a pack on that you will be goat hunting in. I try to be active all year but ramp it up about 4 months before the hunt with with 30-40 lbs and then work up to a max of 70 - 80 lbs. Three to four hikes per week works for me. I time myself on the same route so I can track my progress and ensure I am pushing myself. Other than hiking I like to cross-country ski, snowshoe and mountain bike just to keep the chub off and clear my head. They're all good but nothing beats a weighted pack and steep terrain.

Rob
11-16-2014, 11:44 PM
hike the hills, pack up bottles of water for weight then dump half at the top(don't need the extra stress on knees for training). Physical is huge but but mental is more.

BCbillies
11-16-2014, 11:53 PM
Physical is huge but but mental is more.

You should aim to be conditioned to pack a goat solo. Being in top shape is something you have full control of and will go a long ways to strengthen your mind. The other factors such as weather, terrain, gear malfunction, partner, grizzlies, etc will cause enough trouble for your mental!

adriaticum
11-17-2014, 12:01 AM
hike the hills, pack up bottles of water for weight then dump half at the top(don't need the extra stress on knees for training).
This is a very good idea.
I've been thinking about what to pack. :)

Rob
11-17-2014, 12:10 AM
You should aim to be conditioned to pack a goat solo. Being in top shape is something you have full control of and will go a long ways to strengthen your mind. The other factors such as weather, terrain, gear malfunction, partner, grizzlies, etc will cause enough trouble for your mental!

Not sure how to read that but If you aren't prepared mentally you wont succeed. To The OP, is this your first mtn hunt with gear? ie Sheep/mulies/goat?

NorBC
11-17-2014, 12:24 AM
Mental is huge. It takes a lot not to quit when everything hurts, and $hit goes sideways. And trust me it will. If you live where you'll be hunting I would get in those mountains now. Glass, hike, and repeat!

NorBC
11-17-2014, 12:25 AM

You forgot avalanches!

BCbillies
11-17-2014, 12:27 AM
They go hand in hand . . . like the chicken and the egg! The physical is a big part of the mental. Don't have either and it's a tough go!

Oh ya . . . avalanches either of the rock or snow/ice variety. Hate them both.

moosehunter21
11-17-2014, 12:40 AM
Ya rob this will be my first mountain hunt with gear. I figured starting now is my best plan that way I have a lot more time to prepare and get ready. I've hunted moose but not much mountain hunting.

clte
11-17-2014, 03:05 AM
As much as practice practice practice is solid I also recommend to stretch stretch stretch. Stretching is key to preventing so many injuries, IMO. Ideally I recommend Yoga at home from a program like P90X... if you don't like awkward bending focus on neck stretches, hamstring and back stretches. I also recommend "Good mornings" if you have free weights or a bar as they really help strengthen your lower back which just makes everything easier.

Ltbullken
11-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Do lots of cardio but also do some good full-body core workout. Then a couple times per week do a long hill walk with some weight. Start off low weight like 20 - 30 lbs. Add 5 lbs every week but listen to what your body is telling you too. By the time you go on your trip, you should be packing at least 65 lbs up hill on the long hill walk. Do down hill walks as well - you need to prepare your legs for that too. Boned out meat and cape alone will come to about 130 lbs, if not more.

I play hockey throughout the winter but as soon as that's over in March, I start my mountain hunt prep.

Rackmastr
11-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Being stronger and more prepared physically will strengthen your mental toughness and make it easier to stay out there, push further, and recover faster.

Good on you for starting now. Its a year round process. If you arent eating good and clean, that should be a good place to start if you're looking to get into mountain shape. Good mix of cardio, strength training, and hikes with weighted packs and into the hills helps a ton. Hiking with snowshoes this time of year and into the winter is a great exercise and allows you to see some cool country.

Overnight trips during spring/summer help get prepared and see how it feels to push yourself a bit and be out there with your gear. Solo trips are good for the mental aspect and each time you go into the mountains you'll learn more and become stronger. Each time gets easier, but that also means that you demand more of yourself each time out.

Good luck with the preperation!!!

decker9
11-17-2014, 11:01 AM
99% mental game, if you say you can do it, then you can, if you question it, you prolly can't. In my life time of hunting goats, the one and only way to train is to throw on your pack board and head for the steep timber, make sure it has all the training needs, blow down, devils club, buck brush and alder, preferably in the rain also ;p. Anyone can climb an open hillside, the crap getting to that open hill side is what turns most people back around. This is where scouting comes in handy. Hit them hills well before season opens, find the best route threw the timber for when season starts, get to know the area and the game you have to bring to beat that mountain. By the time season opens, you will have both knowledge and ability, 2 steps closer to success. Good luck!

Ron.C
11-17-2014, 11:08 AM
We did some biking, and allot of climbing several times a week with weight. Started hard at it in Apr. But I think your basic fitness everyday level/activity will determine when you need to start.

Worked up to the weight we would be carrying in on our packs and hiked at that weight for a couple months before we left. We have some great local Mtns to climb for training, but in hind sight none were nearly as steep as what we hunted and this was obvious when we got on our hunt.

We found on our goat hunt this year, going down was much harder than the ascents. Point of fact, it was on one of these steep ascents that my partner injured his ankle that basically ended our goat hunt. Not that poor fitness or lack of training was the cause, but we had numerous stumbles/spills over the week were good fitness training, flexibility probably allowed us to carry on without significant injury.

Sure, coming down is easier cardio wise, but I can't describe the burning felt in the legs. No training we did "and we did allot" prepared us enough for this aspect. And when you add a goat to your pack, it takes the burn/pain to a whole new level. And couple this with potential bad footing in scree, wet rocks/moss, downed timber, you will wish you would have put more training into going down with weight "OFFTRAIL".

For that reason, if I get the chance to hunt goat again next year, l'll be putting as much effort in training for heavily loaded descent asI did this year with ascent training.

The last thing I have to offer is endurance. It's great if you can hike a loaded pack for a couple training hikes a week, but on a hunt you need to do it every day. We were doing the equivalent of 3-5 of our training hike on some days of our hunt. And on a couple days, made an end of the day sprint to try to get within gun range of a nice Billy. We managed to make out alright but this year I will be turning up tempo of the training with a focus on longer, more frequent climbs.

As far as mental training, probably end your hunt quicker than the physical aspect. The only thing I can add here is challenge yourself in the off season to hike/climb areas you normally wouldn't by avoiding the easy road, "we did allot of our hiking in the dark before work via headlamp", and make sure you can trust your life to the gear you are carrying. This will give you the confidence to always go over the "next" mtn.

bcmulie
11-17-2014, 11:36 AM
The Journal of Mountain Hunting (online) is running a series of articles on fitness for the mountain hunter that you might find helpful.

bcmulie

Ltbullken
11-17-2014, 11:41 AM
You can search for threads on the topic here. There is lots of good info.

I also recommend practice shooting at the ranges you need to be prepared to shoot.

DarekG
11-17-2014, 12:01 PM
As a novice, this is a very helpful thread as I plan to start hiking out more and more next year. If you guys were going for say, a 5 day trip into the mountains, how much water and gear would you typically be carrying?

I have a 3 liter Camelbak and I also bought a Lifestraw that I would plan to use for extended trips like this as it would help me pack a bit lighter. I could also boil water/snow/ice as required. Is this realistic?

kayjayess
11-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Yes, you should never pack any more water than you are going to need for the short term. 3 liters is quite a lot of water to carry. The key is to have a purification system. We typically boil any water and some other filter system is important. The life straw will work but you may find that steripen is a better option. And has gotten very affordable and is light. Battery life is an issue on longer trips but five days would normally be fine with a steripen.

Typically in the mountains water is abundant. TYPICALLY. If I find a fast running stream from a mountain source I don't bother with purification. Still water you will want to boil it. Keep in mind that boiling requires fuel and you now have to carry that. But boiling 1 liter at a time for 3 minutes can be done with a stove relatively quickly.

I usually boil water around camp, steripen when hiking, again only if the water could be dodgy. Where you will run into shortage is up on higher elevations during the day. When you are looking for game. Etc. that is where you will likely have to carry reserves. But most elevations even have water up high. Not always but often. A good review of maps, google maps, etc will reveal water sources for your intended hunting area.

I usually carry a 1 liter Nalgene bottle - wide mouth for my immediate drinking requirements and then up to 3 1 or 2 litre platypus bottles for carrying spare water. If we are at higher elevation with little sources for water we might load up with some water on the way up. Or if you have no water source near camp which can occur the extra carrying capability is convenient for transporting water back to spike.

Bugle M In
11-17-2014, 12:40 PM
work on core, to make sure your back can support having a pack.
Some cardio.. obviously.. ( spinning classes work well with a good instructor )
Your legs surprisingly will come around, but it depends on how many days u are there....short trips, your legs will be led unless you work on them.

The best advice though....don't hurt yourself!.. it's impossible to get a surgeon these days and takes forever to get help unless u Have plenty $$$$

Ltbullken
11-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Water -- a huge factor in mountain hunting. I was in an alpine area where there was NO water, needed to pack in everything you needed. So we could only plan on a few short days on the alpine before coming back down for a water run. To save on fuel think about using a JetBoil. Heats very quickly so you don't have to bring as much fuel. Brings 500 ml water (typical for 1 mountain house meal) to a rapid boil in under a minute. And they are very light.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-17-2014, 04:32 PM
Start with the gym/home fitness routine and focus on your core(as mentioned) but hit everything. Do that in conjunction with stair climbers and then hit the nearest mountain as soon as you feel strong. Leg extensions really help with strengthening your knees to help with packing weight downhill.

Start hitting the hills with a pack and build up the weight as you feel comfortable. I like to do what BCBILLIES mentimed and time myself so you can see how you're improving. Mix up your hikes and do several days in a row then give youself a few days off. Normally you will see your times climb doing consecutive hikes but you will see them drop after a few days rest. Everyone is different so you will need to see what works best for you.

Personally, I do steep and heavy as free time is my weak point. After a few years of hill training your body will gain muscle memory and you can get into shape faster.
Work in some longer hikes when time permits.
Remember....a hunt is no place to break in new gear.

Most of all, enjoy your time in the mountains and you will be a successful hunter.

SSS

Ltbullken
11-17-2014, 05:23 PM
You can check these threads out. The one on the bottom is really good IMHO. Might be helpful.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?50330-Sheep-hunting-tips/page8&highlight=sheep+hunt+tips

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?33192-sheep-pack-weight/page2&highlight=mountain+pack+list

Casagrande
11-17-2014, 05:54 PM
You have plenty of time to build your endurance. So, I would focus on getting strong now. Squats, deadlfts, bench, pull-ups, overhead press. Don't worry about your core (if you're squatting and deadlifting heavy, your core will get plenty of work.) Low reps to build maximum strength.
Google Mark Rippetoe, Starting Strength. You won't be wasting your time. I bought both his books. The vast majority of the population is doing it wrong.

Casagrande
11-17-2014, 05:59 PM
And f*** Crossfit.

albravo2
11-17-2014, 06:10 PM
Nobody has mentioned it yet so I will: walking sticks. They are invaluable in the mountains. They take some load off your knees and definitely help with balance and reduce sprains. I carry two and lash them together for a bipod. One less thing you have to carry.

And crossfit if you're into crossfit. Just don't injure yourself.

Ltbullken
11-18-2014, 09:54 AM
You have plenty of time to build your endurance. So, I would focus on getting strong now. Squats, deadlfts, bench, pull-ups, overhead press. Don't worry about your core (if you're squatting and deadlifting heavy, your core will get plenty of work.) Low reps to build maximum strength.
Google Mark Rippetoe, Starting Strength. You won't be wasting your time. I bought both his books. The vast majority of the population is doing it wrong.

You can't fire a cannon from a dingy...

Mountain Hunter
11-18-2014, 08:59 PM
As a novice, this is a very helpful thread as I plan to start hiking out more and more next year. If you guys were going for say, a 5 day trip into the mountains, how much water and gear would you typically be carrying?

I have a 3 liter Camelbak and I also bought a Lifestraw that I would plan to use for extended trips like this as it would help me pack a bit lighter. I could also boil water/snow/ice as required. Is this realistic?

Yes, fill your Camelbak when you can down low so you can bring up as much water as possible (if camping) up high. Lifestraw is great for those stagnant water holes. I used one in cattle country up at high elevation this year, and no giardia (beaver fever) or intestinal bugs. I would also suggest bringing a small water bottle (500-700 ml) with a large opening to fit the Lifestraw into. It sucks (literally) trying to get a drink with a Lifestraw while on your hands and knees during a snowstorm out of a suspect waterhole, much better to fill a bottle then suck it out.

Krico
11-18-2014, 09:38 PM
Well I'm going against the grain here. I am all for strength and endurance training, stretching etc. Do whatever you want- hit the gym, hike, run, bike, yoga whatever. The more variety the better. What I would caution is over training with a heavy pack. I only ever had knee problems once, on a hunt I trained for with a loaded pack. I find regardless of how fit I am it takes a couple days to adjust to the thin air and calorie deficit, and after that I'm all good.
It's great to stay in shape but I'm saving my joints for the heavy loads that matter- like dead animals.

Mountain Hunter
11-18-2014, 09:52 PM
A few thoughts based on my 20+ years of hunting goats in the Rockies.

I try to be active all year but ramp it up about 4 months before the hunt with with 30-40 lbs and then work up to a max of 70 - 80 lbs. They're all good but nothing beats a weighted pack and steep terrain.

That’s OK, if you’re planning backpacking for a week but not heading up for a goat with light backpack and then packing it out. There is no reason to “train” with a super heavy load uphill, this will only hurt you.

hike the hills, pack up bottles of water for weight then dump half at the top(don't need the extra stress on knees for training). Physical is huge but but mental is more.
Shouldn’t that be opposite? Pack uphill with 30-40 lbs and fill bottles to 80-100 lbs for downhill experience! You will hate this but it is more realistic for goat hunting!

You forgot avalanches!
If you’re worried about avalanches, you shouldn’t be goat hunting in that area at that time!

Boned out meat and cape alone will come to about 130 lbs, if not more.
I assume that is with all your day hunting gear (solo), otherwise that would be a freakin’ crazy large goat!

Worked up to the weight we would be carrying in on our packs and hiked at that weight for a couple months before we left. We have some great local Mtns to climb for training, but in hind sight none were nearly as steep as what we hunted and this was obvious when we got on our hunt.

We found on our goat hunt this year, going down was much harder than the ascents. Point of fact, it was on one of these steep ascents that my partner injured his ankle that basically ended our goat hunt. Not that poor fitness or lack of training was the cause, but we had numerous stumbles/spills over the week were good fitness training, flexibility probably allowed us to carry on without significant injury.

Sure, coming down is easier cardio wise, but I can't describe the burning felt in the legs. No training we did "and we did allot" prepared us enough for this aspect. And when you add a goat to your pack, it takes the burn/pain to a whole new level. And couple this with potential bad footing in scree, wet rocks/moss, downed timber, you will wish you would have put more training into going down with weight "OFFTRAIL".

For that reason, if I get the chance to hunt goat again next year, l'll be putting as much effort in training for heavily loaded descent asI did this year with ascent training.

The last thing I have to offer is endurance. It's great if you can hike a loaded pack for a couple training hikes a week, but on a hunt you need to do it every day. We were doing the equivalent of 3-5 of our training hike on some days of our hunt. And on a couple days, made an end of the day sprint to try to get within gun range of a nice Billy. We managed to make out alright but this year I will be turning up tempo of the training with a focus on longer, more frequent climbs.

As far as mental training, probably end your hunt quicker than the physical aspect. The only thing I can add here is challenge yourself in the off season to hike/climb areas you normally wouldn't by avoiding the easy road, "we did allot of our hiking in the dark before work via headlamp", and make sure you can trust your life to the gear you are carrying. This will give you the confidence to always go over the "next" mtn.
Best advice for preparing yourself physically on this thread! I would add to try to hike with a moderate heavy pack for training. Do this a lot over the off-seaons and your body will be able to handle the stress and effort of a heavy pack out and then recover (beer helps) afterwards.

Nobody has mentioned it yet so I will: walking sticks. They are invaluable in the mountains. They take some load off your knees and definitely help with balance and reduce sprains. I carry two and lash them together for a bipod. One less thing you have to carry.
Essential for downhill with a heavy load, unless you like knee and ankle sprains and pain!

And all those other recommendations of body conditioning, cross-training, endurance and hiking in goat terrain (steep, alder, bluffs, devils club, bushwacking) doesn't hurt either!

skibum
11-18-2014, 10:00 PM

Rippetoe is awesome! - followed his program for a while. Set up my gym with just olympic bar, squat rack, and bench. You will get strong and big.

You will not get mountain hunting fit.

Because Rippetoe says to train one way - do a squat one kind of way, does not make what other people do wrong. Some of his followers are a bit cult-ish kind of weird.

Casagrande
11-18-2014, 10:07 PM
The OP has stated a goal and thus should train SPECIFICALLY for that goal. Swimming? A more useless exercise I could not think of. You will be hauling your ass, assorted gear and hopefully, an animal in mountainous terrain. Spend the winter getting strong. When spring rolls around, start applying your new found strength to moving efficiently in the mountains. All the cardio in the world is going to mean jacks**t if you're not strong. There's no need to overthink this.

Casagrande
11-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Rippetoe is awesome! - followed his program for a while. Set up my gym with just olympic bar, squat rack, and bench. You will get strong and big.

You will not get mountain hunting fit.

Because Rippetoe says to train one way - do a squat one kind of way, does not make what other people do wrong. Some of his followers are a bit cult-ish kind of weird.
Like Crossfit cult-ish? Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Stone C. Killer
11-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Crossfit makes you strong. That helps

skibum
11-19-2014, 10:43 AM

The "outfits" the females wear --- I am joining the cult. Hell ya.

I have modeled some of my workouts using some of the exercises used in crossfit, but NEVER, NEVER will I say that I do crossfit

gamehunter6o
11-19-2014, 02:30 PM
A hunter posted this Youtube clip on a NZ hunting site on hunting fitness. Enjoy and practice. (if you can)

http://youtu.be/NO3N50RWpyg

skibum
11-19-2014, 03:01 PM
One of the best things that I think has helped myself are a bunch of mobility exercises. Leg swings, knees to chest, arm swings etc.. use them as a warm up before working out. Then a couple times a week some good static stretching in front of the tv. Lot of it is hang over from my kickboxing days.

I have noticed that it helps when walking through the gnarly crap, being able to bring that foot high enough without strain or pulling a muscle. You don't have to "swing" the leg to get over something just step up onto it.

264mag
11-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Most people don't strengthen their knees in daily workouts, get in a routine that does and stick to it. Foot care and footwear are also overlooked, wear good socks and wear your boots, train as much downhill off trail as possible.
Blisters on the front of your toes can ruin your day.

lostmind
11-19-2014, 05:07 PM

You've obviously had a bad experience with crossfit. :)

lostmind
11-19-2014, 05:38 PM
I'd add that the stuff recommended by casagrande are not bad places to start at. At all.

Personally, I found my best endurance gains came from sprinting at the local high school track and "sprints" on a rower when it's rainy. 2-3 nights a week, depended on how much gym time I was getting otherwise. I went from unable to run a 5k to keeping up with my "runner" friends over the summer. Who are all your typical ~6' + and lean, whereas I am 5'8" & 190lbs - sporting abs though, I'm not a fatass. :)

11-19-2014, 05:42 PM
I train each year by doing lots of hiking (usually without much weight) and I ride my bike nearly everyday during the spring and summer. Bike riding is great because it spares the knees. I usually do one backpack trip in the summer before hunting season too, which helps. I don't train with a heavy pack, though. Too risky for a knee injury, IMHO.

Casagrande
11-19-2014, 06:30 PM
You've obviously had a bad experience with crossfit. :)
I've been fortunate enough to know some elite trainers. Not one has a positive view of cross fit. None. Rippetoe explains it better than anyone, and he was actually briefly associated with them.
If I wasn't such a frigging computer idiot, I could post some real interesting stuff.

lorneparker1
11-19-2014, 07:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T74Xek-pDLM

Casagrande
11-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Thank you.
And to become a CERTIFIED Crossfit trainer? 300 minutes. Not a typo.

lostmind
11-19-2014, 10:10 PM
casagrande, you forgot the $1k to go along with that 300 minutes of time spent in a big class of 30+ people to 1 or 2 instructors! Of course, the courses are usually more than just 5 hours and they issue a *book* with all the instructions on performing the exercises. But it is honestly a joke and money making scheme (I wanted to volunteer to judge a crossfit competition and looked into this). As are the yearly dues for being a registered crossfit gym.

Not that there is a very structured path to becoming a good coach/trainer out there that this crossfit level 1 cert is circumventing. You can challenge the BCRPA exam for $80, show a CPR course, pay another $95 for registration and you are pretty much a registered personal trainer aren't you? It all seems like a sham to me really. Add to the fact that the best coaches seem to be the worst marketers so not many people know about them and the best marketers are the worst coaches...

Many crossfit gyms use crossfit as more of a marketing thing - the brand pulls in a lot of people. The popularity of the brand brings a lot of hate with it. But, you have to admit; the brand has got a whole lot of people working out - far more than anything else so far. There are some bad crossfit gyms for sure, that lead to some horrible programming, horrible form and crummy gains and outright injuries - but I've paid good money for some pretty horrendous personal training from some highly recommended people before too (2 out of 3 trainers knew less on cuing form than I did simply from reading rippetoe & such on reddit).

I currently workout at a crossfit gym. It's been the best thing for me, small class sizes, great coaches, smart programming that keeps me motivated, growing stronger (405lbs for 3 reps on my deadlift last time we tested max, up from 225 for a single a year ago) and coming back. Hard to find those things anywhere else. Proper coaching cues from someone standing there during your class is so much more helpful than posting your video to reddit and asking for feedback on form. Can't think of the last time I saw a "named" workout or a kip in anything outside of contest prep in our gym (and only a few people are in the contest prep or olympic lifting classes). No workouts with high rep o-lifts. So if anyone is ever looking to join a gym, I'd recommend doing your homework, watch a few classes and talk to some people before making a decision. If you live in the tri-cities area, I know a great gym. :)

Getting WAYYY off topic now though.

I pretty much agree with you here - get strong in the offseason, build endurance just before it's show time.

Stone C. Killer
11-19-2014, 10:11 PM
I've been doing crossfit for a year now. Felt much better in the mtns because of it. I don't recall experiencing any of the bloopers in the above video. I must be lucky

Dre
11-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Lots of excellent advise. I would stress to not over-do the heavy pack training, if you push too hard with lots of weight, it can mess with your skeletal system causing strain on ligaments and tendons that would normally not be effected. I had an issue with this this year with just 65lbs, but pushing steep hills 3-4 times a week. I realised what was happening and cut it off 2 weeks prior my trip. It still bothered me, but not too bad. Some pack carrying is important though and also in irregular, uneven terrain. This will allow your body to adjust to the weight on your back in regards to balance and surefooted-ness. The most important in goat country. Also, poles are a life saver... for real. Solid ski poles are my preference, they are usually lighter and wont collapse on you at the worst possible moment.

aggiehunter
11-19-2014, 10:24 PM
go to the mountains.....

skibum
11-19-2014, 11:09 PM
Personally think just do it. Sounds stupid but really comes down to fads. how many times have you heard "this workout is the proven best"???

Do what's best for you and ignore what the "experts" say. Hop on a stationary bike, lift some iron. Try some different exercises. You might be surprised. You known what's going to get yourself into shape.

Personally moved towards crossfit type. customize to my liking. like farmers walk with 25's while doing stairs. imagine myself dragging out a booner out whole doing it.

Ltbullken
11-21-2014, 10:21 AM
A few thoughts based on my 20+ years of hunting goats in the Rockies.

Boned out meat and cape alone will come to about 130 lbs, if not more.

I assume that is with all your day hunting gear (solo), otherwise that would be a freakin’ crazy large goat!

Let me clarify: I mean cape, boned out meat AND horns with skull. I was thinking more of sheep weight with cape, horns and boned out meat too, though I think it is close. If you're splitting weight between a hunt parnter, of course it is half. But check this website. Don't think I'm far off. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/93064-Goat-weight

Stone Sheep Steve
11-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Let me clarify: I mean cape, boned out meat AND horns with skull. I was thinking more of sheep weight with cape, horns and boned out meat too, though I think it is close. If you're splitting weight between a hunt parnter, of course it is half. But check this website. Don't think I'm far off. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/93064-Goat-weight

I would agree with you on this. Weight is about right.
Day hikes for mountain goats is a different set of numbers than a 10-14 day backpack hunt for goats or sheep.

SSS

GoatGuy
11-21-2014, 02:26 PM
Exercise as much and as often as possible.

That is all.

Casagrande
11-21-2014, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE=GoatGuy;1569207]Exercise as much and as often as possible.

That is all.[/QUOTE

Fundamentally incorrect. You have heard of science, yes?

slowjo
11-22-2014, 01:10 AM
Do lots of hiking in the mountains in the spring/summer. Do squats, lunges and calf raises at home or gym.

GoatGuy
11-22-2014, 03:54 AM
[QUOTE=GoatGuy;1569207]Exercise as much and as often as possible.

That is all.[/QUOTE

Fundamentally incorrect. You have heard of science, yes?
Yes, experience is most guys half ass it, put getting "in shape" off as long as possible and then figure a couple hours of hiking in August will solve their problem. Or that an hour a week will do it.

3000-4000' vertical a day is hard on a person in great shape nevermind someone who "lost 5 lbs" before the season. Goat hunting in my experience is a full body workout. Clinging to rocks and covering ground on all fours is standard procedure.

The better in shape a person is the better they will do on a goat hunt. Guess it really boils down to being in shape all year if you're serious about it.

HarryToolips
11-23-2014, 12:07 AM
Make excercise a routine, a way of life, or a hobby like hunting. Better at one, better at the other. Bushwhackin for me is a full body workout as is climbing mountains when I can. What also works for me is working out 3 to 4 times a week, as was said squats are huge, and i find push ups and chin ups are great for cardio as well as strength conditioning..

hickman
12-03-2014, 08:44 AM
I got into hunting because I was fit in the first place and am in the backcountry often. It allowed me to explore and go places that most people would not go to. Without quad you are a hiking hunter and that is what it is about for me. On the downside, it may take you 10 hours to get a deer out of the alpine... but that is exercise again. The more cardio fit you are the more you will enjoy hunting because it opens up more terrain!