PDA

View Full Version : stormfront vs coldfront

Grolar
11-16-2014, 08:29 PM
Looking to purchase a outershell series clothing from sitka and i cant decide which one to get.......I spend alot of time up high in the mountains and weather is always changing and I want something for all year around.....which one should I go for?

SR80
11-17-2014, 09:33 AM
I just got the cold front. From what I can tell is the coldfront is bascially the stormfront with a fleece lining. They fit large too. I have a medium but it's a tad small for me I might be selling it.

Ranger95
11-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Looking to purchase a outershell series clothing from sitka and i cant decide which one to get.......I spend alot of time up high in the mountains and weather is always changing and I want something for all year around.....which one should I go for?

Neither - I'd be buying the Cadog system from Kryptek

TARCHER
11-17-2014, 11:17 AM
From experience Sitka has worked very well for me. I have used the 90% jacket and pants for several years now as well as cold front now in Prince George area and have been happy with the performance.

Steve W
11-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Watch the CamoFire website. They had some of these Sitka items on sale recently.

coach
11-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Gotta go with whatever you feel suits your needs the best. Personaliy, I prefer the ability to add or shed layers as i need to so I'm more a fan of the storm front. Easy to add a down or fleece layer when it's colder but hard to vent enough when it's raining and you're hiking and too warm for the heavier weight jacket.

Grolar
11-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Does anyone use the coldfront series for rain gear

TARCHER
11-17-2014, 04:46 PM
I've used mine lots in the late season when its been raining and cold. I find as long as you care for gore tex it works well.

Trekker
11-17-2014, 04:49 PM
As you said in your post the weather is always changing. Get the stormfront and add an insulation piece for when the temperature drops. The coldfront in most scenarios will be to much coat for early season use.

Grolar
11-17-2014, 04:57 PM
Does anyone use coldfront for early season sheep/goat hunt?

TARCHER
11-17-2014, 05:04 PM
If you have only read Sitka description of coldfront you really should try to put your hands on some in a store. It is not as insulated as you'd think.

knothead
11-17-2014, 08:09 PM
I recently picked up a pair of the stormfront pants and have worn them on a few trips now, doing a lot of hiking in warm and cold but not wet weather. I am in agreement with Coach, I like the option of layering and the good venting these pants have made them work very well in the warm weather and with the addition of fleece pants work equally as well in negative temps. My only complaint might be that they seem a little noisy, maybe just me though as my hunting partner hasn't complained.
Edited to add I liked them well enough that I will be picking up the jacket as well.

Grolar
11-17-2014, 10:26 PM
Ya....the closest place that has it is grouse river outfitters and thats like 3 hours from my house but the stormfront does seem very versatile thow......then I would just get some layers from kuiu

Grolar
11-20-2014, 09:41 AM
Does anyone layer kelvin jackets under these hardshells

charlie_horse
11-20-2014, 09:58 AM
I rock the coldfront jacket and I love it. I don't find it to be too much. Not as insulated as Sitka describes but an overall well rounded jacket that I love.

khoffnbud
12-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Ya....the closest place that has it is grouse river outfitters and thats like 3 hours from my house but the stormfront does seem very versatile thow......then I would just get some layers from kuiu

Why not just get all KUIU? I've got a stormfront, one buddy has the chugach, another has the yukon. Both, IMO, are much better jackets than the sitka at much better prices.

BigSlapper
12-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Why not just get all KUIU? I've got a stormfront, one buddy has the chugach, another has the yukon. Both, IMO, are much better jackets than the sitka at much better prices.

yup .... what K Bud says.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Would the sitka cold front double as ski gear?

SR80
12-05-2014, 07:51 AM
Its just a shell with light fleece lining, same lining that's inside the Jetstream jacket. So it could act as a shell then layer under it accordingly

Lukeez88
12-26-2014, 10:58 AM
What is the main differences between the kuiu chugach and Yukon? I see there is a price difference between the 2, is the Yukon worth the extra coin?

bearvalley
12-26-2014, 11:31 AM
The Yukon is reinforced better but neither will keep you warm on late hunts. Layer up with down and merino wool. Don't rule out Sitka, the quality is very similar so I would let pricing be the judge. If you want to spend more go with Arcteryx, you get what you pay for.
One thing though, a guy cries less when he snags his Helly Hansens.

Ry151
12-27-2014, 06:23 PM
Also trying to decide between the coldfront or yukon jacket. What did you go with?

Bearvalley, are these jackets warm enough for late season sheep hunts or even moose?

bearvalley
12-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Also trying to decide between the coldfront or yukon jacket. What did you go with?

Bearvalley, are these jackets warm enough for late season sheep hunts or even moose?

No, you had better have some layers. Like I said Merino wool and down, they're light and warm.

selvir
07-25-2016, 09:47 PM
Storm front is great, i have set, can be used in Alaska too love the option on adding layers great quality cant go wrong ....sometimes whole sale sports will have them on sale before or after season