PDA

View Full Version : Collared Canada Goose

Marc
11-16-2014, 07:30 PM
About 3 weeks ago Shotgun John and I were fortunate to knock this bird out of the sky. It was a single bird and it came in from a direction none of the other birds we saw that day come from. Almost directly in the sun. To us it was just one of the 15 birds we shot that day until the dog brought it back to us. I was like "Wholy shit!!! it's got a collar on it! Oh wait its also got a leg band!!" It truly was a surprised when the dog brought it back to the blind. Out of the hundreds of geese I've seen shot since I moved to the island this was the first banded goose I've yet to see. The collar was the icing on the cake. It was banded in Cordova Alaska.

Have this one wrapped in the freezer to ad to my collection of birds I already have on the wall. Still waiting to find out if its a dusky or not.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Goose_resized.jpg

lorneparker1
11-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Great Trophy.

I think they only put red collars on dusty's . That's a hell of a trophy, I see cacklers with yellow collars every year, even in fields I hunt put I have yet to kill one. I did kill 2 orange collars back in Ontario that came in as a pair. Collars always have leg bands. Did you report it online? and if so it didn't say if it was a dusty or not?

Lorne

Marc
11-16-2014, 07:37 PM
I did a bit of research and the red collar signified pacific / central flyway. Not sure if its a dusky but some seem to think so. I sent in the info but they must have messed something up as I haven't received anything back yet. Will probably give them another call to make sure they have the right email / address.

Crazy_Farmer
11-16-2014, 07:38 PM
100% dusky! Helluva trophy. Gorgeous bird and good that you're getting it mounted.

Crazy_Farmer
11-16-2014, 07:40 PM
They only put red collars on Duskies in the pacific flyway. They did some greens on Duskies but they are all dead now. Know the guy who killed the last one.

Ovis17
11-16-2014, 07:44 PM
Very cool trophy. Congrats Marc! Cant wait to see the mount.

Marc
11-16-2014, 08:06 PM
Found this on the USFWS site.

Why are there neck collars on some of the geese? Some geese are captured on their breeding grounds and collared with colored neckbands inscribed with a unique combination of letters and numbers. Each subspecies has its own distinct color for neckbands. Dusky collars are red with white letters or rarely green with white letters. Ratios of duskies marked with colored neckbands to unmarked duskies are determined from samples of geese observed during two resighting periods. A population estimate is developed by expanding the total number of recorded marked individuals by a factor for the unmarked proportion of the population.

Crazy_Farmer
11-16-2014, 08:13 PM
If 10 thousand don't show up in certain wintering grounds in Oregon they can close down whole areas to any goose hunting.

theyve been a declining subspecies of Canada goose ever since they breeding ground were altered after an earthquake up in Alaska.

wingmaster
11-16-2014, 09:17 PM
Marc, I got a collared goose hunting off the island last year during the spring season, it had a similar red collar and was quite dark compared to most other geese we've taken as yours appears to be, when i reported the info all that i received back was that it was a Canada goose with no subspecies and all the other standard information. It too was tagged in Cordova Alaska. I called and emailed hoping to receive more information on the study being done on them but never received a reply. What was the date it was banded and by what researcher? It would be interesting to see if these two birds were from the same study.

kyleklassen
11-17-2014, 06:18 PM
they taste good too

john.b
11-17-2014, 07:59 PM
That is awesome. Great job Marc.

Duck Buster
11-18-2014, 08:32 AM
Very cool... Good for you and John Marc

Chessieguy
11-21-2014, 04:38 AM
Congrats Marc, that will make a dandy wall hanger and heck of a trophy.