PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Mule Deer Around Kamloops

Yulisius
11-16-2014, 06:04 PM
I was out hunting for a buck this morning with a buddy just north of Kamloops. Went up a bunch of forestry roads and saw nothing but a nice moose. I'm wondering if we were too high up, or where all the deer are out. I'm not asking for anyone's secrets here, but some tips would be nice. Are they down lower this time of year, in the cuts, or up high? On our way home we saw some... but they were on someone's property right next to the main road, and no buck.

As you may tell... I am fairly new to hunting :).

Cheers.

Bugle M In
11-16-2014, 06:59 PM
without the snow so far, I think they are just about anywhere...but than again, I am not everywhere, when I am there!?!?!?
I usually hunt low down in my area, but, my area is great when the plateau has 2 to 3 ft snow.....
Right now, or as last weekend, there wasn't any!
So, deer may be more spread out still?
It's a good question....I was asking myself the same thing, as I searched higher up as well looking for rutting bucks.
Found doe's down low and high, so bucks should be around???
Some guys are getting success as of late, so it would be nice if they would offer more info on those details ( elevation etc ), but
usually they don't...not like anyone is asking for the exact unit # and spot etc.
Looks like snow may not even show up till end of the season, the way it's going, but maybe by the weeks end???
Snow would help, at least to see sign easier, and give one a better idea of where to start.
Get out, look for rubs, and find Doe's.....than u can decide whether to road hunt, waiting for bucks to cross roads, or,
get in the bush and hunt them down.
Good luck!

Coachman
11-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Very hard to find them right now. We were out for 3 days and only found one doe and a couple two point bucks.

With the ground frozen, and no snow to speak of, its hard to find fresh sign. We managed to find a few beds and tracks off the roads, but next to nothing for sightings.

By the third day, i was starting to doubt my skills.

REMINGTON JIM
11-16-2014, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=Yulisius;1566790]I was out hunting for a buck this morning with a buddy just north of Kamloops. Went up a bunch of forestry roads and saw nothing but a nice moose. I'm wondering if we were too high up, or where all the deer are out. I'm not asking for anyone's secrets here, but some tips would be nice. Are they down lower this time of year, in the cuts, or up high? On our way home we saw some... but they were on someone's property right next to the main road, and no buck.

Where abouts were you north of Kammy - how high elevation ? RJ

shed-hunter1
11-16-2014, 08:23 PM
I was out hunting for a buck this morning with a buddy just north of Kamloops. Went up a bunch of forestry roads and saw nothing but a nice moose. I'm wondering if we were too high up, or where all the deer are out. I'm not asking for anyone's secrets here, but some tips would be nice. Are they down lower this time of year, in the cuts, or up high? On our way home we saw some... but they were on someone's property right next to the main road, and no buck.

Cheers.

from your post it sounds like you just drove did you do any hiking if not then theres your problem

dana
11-16-2014, 08:37 PM
from your post it sounds like you just drove did you do any hiking if not then theres your problem

Yup, it is highly productive pounding bush with a heavy frost! Snap Crackle and Pop! Hahaha!

As to the OP,
Given the current conditions, clear bright nights, deer don't need to expose themselves in the open during the daylight hours. With the cold and hard frosty conditions, walking and pounding bush isn't very ideal. The colder trend is going to be over soon and things will start to get better as the peak of the rut approaches.

shed-hunter1
11-16-2014, 08:39 PM
Yup, it is highly productive pounding bush with a heavy frost! Snap Crackle and Pop! Hahaha!

As to the OP,
Given the current conditions, clear bright nights, deer don't need to expose themselves in the open during the daylight hours. With the cold and hard frosty conditions, walking and pounding bush isn't very ideal. The colder trend is going to be over soon and things will start to get better as the peak of the rut approaches.

yeah worked great 5 point down ha ha

shed-hunter1
11-16-2014, 08:42 PM
I still think hiking even if your noisy is better then rd hunting but every one has there way I was just trying to be helpful

dana
11-16-2014, 09:06 PM
The key is to hunt smarter not harder. In poor conditions, sometimes going for a drive is the best thing to do. I know I have pounded a bunch of boot leather this weekend and only saw one muley doe bounding away from me for my efforts. ;)

Darksith
11-16-2014, 09:49 PM
You gotta know where they are, but Dana also pretty much nailed it...its been very bright out at night, the deer don't need to come out in the morning or late evening. The bucks aren't or weren't moving dark started to set in. That being said, if you know where they are then still hunting can be a great idea. Its all gonna change soon though, the moon is disapearing, its supposed to warm up. Next weekend is gonna be a good 1.

Brambles
11-16-2014, 09:52 PM
The key is to hunt smarter not harder. In poor conditions, sometimes going for a drive is the best thing to do. I know I have pounded a bunch of boot leather this weekend and only saw one muley doe bounding away from me for my efforts. ;)

Lol....your tune has sure changed over the last decade!!!!.....lol

dana
11-16-2014, 10:15 PM
We all change the older we get. :)

Brambles
11-16-2014, 10:40 PM

im impressed you said that....wow

Liveforthehunt
11-16-2014, 11:21 PM
Glad I'm not the only one seeing lots of does and small bucks no big boys yet I'm going to assume up high with very little snow here as well and rock hard ground makes for some loud bush pushing not like I haven't been seeing animals just not the norm for now lack of moisture

swampthing
11-17-2014, 08:32 AM
I just spent a week north of loops on a mulie hunt. Saw 10-40 deer per day. Saw them at all elevations. Saw most of them road hunting but the 160 class buck we found was on ridge further over than most hunters were going. Saw a ton of hunters

boxhitch
11-17-2014, 08:47 AM
Its still possible to move about in the crunchy stuff , just try to sound more like an animal than a human. Critters make noise too , but they aren't heel-walkers , and they don't have a continuous pace.
Snuck up on a couple bucks Saturday , they were looking but not running . Saw deer out and about at 2 p.m. , ~1100 m. elev.

Yulisius
11-17-2014, 09:14 AM
[QUOTE=Yulisius;1566790]I was out hunting for a buck this morning with a buddy just north of Kamloops. Went up a bunch of forestry roads and saw nothing but a nice moose. I'm wondering if we were too high up, or where all the deer are out. I'm not asking for anyone's secrets here, but some tips would be nice. Are they down lower this time of year, in the cuts, or up high? On our way home we saw some... but they were on someone's property right next to the main road, and no buck.

Where abouts were you north of Kammy - how high elevation ? RJ

We were up Jamieson Creek FSR, about 36km up or so. Right around Whitewood Lake and lower.

Yulisius
11-17-2014, 09:15 AM

Yup, we were hiking in here and there where we saw a clearing or a trail. There were tracks along the roads in some cases, but difficult to follow with little snow cover.

Yulisius
11-17-2014, 09:16 AM

As to the OP,

This is exactly what we found. There was no way of staying silent. Every step was very noisy with the heavy frost breaking beneath us.

mikeman20
11-17-2014, 09:42 AM
With the bitter cold, look to south and west ish facing slopes where they get more sunlight, deer don't have heaters or fires to sit by so the sun is really a main way they warm themselves.

It was very crunchy this past weekend and made for some really tough hunting on foot. I saw more deer when I was being a lazy road hunter than when I was trying to creep around on foot.

I took a 4 point at roughly 4000 feet, without snow I don't think they really care about elevation much

Brian011
11-17-2014, 04:02 PM
I got out to look for a mulie north of kamloops one day this week and was able to get a 4 point, I hiked up into some logging where not many ppl would get into and despite the loud crunchy ground I was able to see quite a few deer. They will be around all elevations right now, I got mine a bit higher up. Just do lots of hiking and glassing and you'll push deer around, just be prepared to see them on the run though, I had about 1 second to decide if I wanted to shoot the buck I got.
Get along the edge of logging and if you find a bunch of sign, it might be worth it to find a good vantage point and sit and wait too.

coach
11-17-2014, 04:28 PM
I got out to look for a mulie north of kamloops one day this week and was able to get a 4 point, I hiked up into some logging where not many ppl would get into and despite the loud crunchy ground I was able to see quite a few deer. They will be around all elevations right now, I got mine a bit higher up. Just do lots of hiking and glassing and you'll push deer around, just be prepared to see them on the run though, I had about 1 second to decide if I wanted to shoot the buck I got.
Get along the edge of logging and if you find a bunch of sign, it might be worth it to find a good vantage point and sit and wait too.

Hmmm.. must have missed that thread! :wink:

BCrams
11-17-2014, 04:35 PM
Yup, it is highly productive pounding bush with a heavy frost! Snap Crackle and Pop!

Given the current conditions, With the cold and hard frosty conditions, walking and pounding bush isn't very ideal.

The key is to hunt smarter not harder.

Is it possible to teach an old dog new tricks :mrgreen:

Stand

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/fb00dd2a-478f-4cb9-b89d-62c7ecfcd43d_zpsad8c3e45.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCrams/media/fb00dd2a-478f-4cb9-b89d-62c7ecfcd43d_zpsad8c3e45.jpg.html)

Blind

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/222733_ts_zps2f5b7b4b.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCrams/media/222733_ts_zps2f5b7b4b.jpg.html)

Sit

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/Corbis-AX042785_zpsb9f8302b.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCrams/media/Corbis-AX042785_zpsb9f8302b.jpg.html)

Bugle M In
11-17-2014, 04:35 PM

lol.....I started to look if I missed that thread as well??!!

dana
11-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Is it possible to teach an old dog new tricks :mrgreen:

Stand

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/fb00dd2a-478f-4cb9-b89d-62c7ecfcd43d_zpsad8c3e45.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCrams/media/fb00dd2a-478f-4cb9-b89d-62c7ecfcd43d_zpsad8c3e45.jpg.html)

Blind

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/222733_ts_zps2f5b7b4b.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCrams/media/222733_ts_zps2f5b7b4b.jpg.html)

Sit

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/Corbis-AX042785_zpsb9f8302b.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCrams/media/Corbis-AX042785_zpsb9f8302b.jpg.html)

Hahaha!!!
Not old enough for that yet! :)

Brian011
11-17-2014, 05:03 PM

Hah, I'll put a thread with some pics at the end of the season, maybe by then I'll have more to add

Stone Sheep Steve
11-17-2014, 05:58 PM
When it's crunchy, switch to whitetails and take a stand.

Or or do what boxhitch said and move like a deer.

dana
11-17-2014, 06:15 PM
How does a newbie know where to get out and walk??? Just pulling over and picking a random piece of timber or a random cutblk is not the way to do it. You got to start with finding sign. How do you find sign??? Maybe go for a drive??? That was the point of my first comments. I see guys get jumped on for road hunting and being told they should get out of the truck and walk. Seriously, how do you think a newbie is to figure out where they are to hike??? From the sounds of it, the OP was on the right track. I've done a bunch of work in that same area, with gobs more snow than we currently have, and there were still deer there. Bad conditions with the bright clear nights and noisy walking are the cards that were dealt. Sounds like exactly the same thing I've encountered this week.

zippermouth
11-17-2014, 06:21 PM
that's one of the main problems with this site. it seems guys get criticized or shunned for road hunting, when sometimes its not the worst option. most guys will see far more from the truck than walking if they don't know what the're doing, or the conditions just aren't in your favor. and there are a lot of guys who just pound miles on the leather. I like the quote to hunt smarter not harder, rings true on so many levels.

zippermouth
11-17-2014, 06:23 PM
How does a newbie know where to get out and walk??? Just pulling over and picking a random piece of timber or a random cutblk is not the way to do it. You got to start with finding sign. How do you find sign??? Maybe go for a drive??? That was the point of my first comments. I see guys get jumped on for road hunting and being told they should get out of the truck and walk. Seriously, how do you think a newbie is to figure out where they are to hike??? From the sounds of it, the OP was on the right track. I've done a bunch of work in that same area, with gobs more snow than we currently have, and there were still deer there. Bad conditions with the bright clear nights and noisy walking are the cards that were dealt. Sounds like exactly the same thing I've encountered this week.
looks like you just beat me to it.

Bugle M In
11-17-2014, 07:07 PM
I always thought it would be nice, if successful hunters ( as seen posted as of late ), would give some comments on things like elevation, or if they hunted, say further back due to less snow right now.
Not that it makes a huge difference, but it wouldn't be like they would be giving away a honey hole.

Like my past trip...I hunted the usual spots....down low, less than 1000m.
Saw lots of Does ( as usual in this area ), but no sign of Bucks ( some small 2pt )....no rubs, or very little....and with no snow, it was hard for me to determine if some large bucks had dropped down yet??
So, We travelled up on the Plateau, say 1500m to 3000m ( not exactly sure on Alt. up there ).
Saw new sign in very newly made clearcuts...again saw some does ( 5 in a group ), and thought for sure a buck would be with them as they all looked mature...but nothing.
Found a decent rub nearby as well, but no buck with them????
So...what is one to think???...did someone take the buck a few days earlier???
Than I travelled to other spots that we hunt if we hunt up there....but little sign???? ( granted, hard to tell without snow, but the little snow that did come down that day, showed no sign of deer travelling,
and we put on a lot of miles in the truck looking for tracks )
Biggest difference was...No snow up there....which by now has 1 to 3 ft.
So here we were driving...wondering...how far tdo I drive North...as I never drove that far up.
Sure left me scratching my head, and I don't consider myself a newbie!!.....rather someone now at the point considering the previous posts with pics of treestands etc.!!!
So...I understand someone posting about what and where ( elevation ) to be at.
Wish I could have helped, but I have the same questions after the past weekend hunt.
Like some..I am a LM'r..so I cant be out there on a daily basis, to see what is happening and changing like others.
Will go up again on Friday, hit the same spots as usual, and hope things have changed...
Lots of fun when it does kick in...and if u are in the right spot at the right time.

\

Liveforthehunt
11-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Very true Dana do a bit of both and I'm a young yet 27 after packing a few animals off the mountains sometimes thinking smart not hard is the way to do it .... to one there own if it works for you why change a good thing :)

zippermouth
11-17-2014, 07:17 PM
bugle m in, it could also just be the year. lack of snow will keep deer spread over more real estate than a big snow year. there will still be deer in your good spots, but mabey not in quite as abundance. these tough snow years have been hit or miss for me. I love hunting in the rain as it means things are quiet, but now that it has froze it is hard going without snow. was really good hunting for most of November as far as conditions. but the snow was not around to push many deer into the area I normally hunt. have to adapt or get lucky. I was up at 7000 feet on the last day of the season and there were still deer there, that just shows how big of area the deer are spread out over.

Liveforthehunt
11-17-2014, 07:23 PM
Very true Dana do a bit of both and I'm a young yet 27 after packing a few animals off the mountains sometimes thinking smart not hard is the way to do it .... to one there own if it works for you why change a good thing :)

Bugle M In
11-17-2014, 07:39 PM
bugle m in, it could also just be the year. lack of snow will keep deer spread over more real estate than a big snow year. there will still be deer in your good spots, but mabey not in quite as abundance. these tough snow years have been hit or miss for me. I love hunting in the rain as it means things are quiet, but now that it has froze it is hard going without snow. was really good hunting for most of November as far as conditions. but the snow was not around to push many deer into the area I normally hunt. have to adapt or get lucky. I was up at 7000 feet on the last day of the season and there were still deer there, that just shows how big of area the deer are spread out over.

I agree...I think deer are more spread out...more than normal for this time of year.
And..we were up there with that huge windstorm that lasted all day and even into the next day.
I watched probably 2 dozen trees fall over, while driving around to pick up the other in the group.
Does not make for great hunting, for one, safety on that day, and spending time cutting trees out of the way.
And, the deer in my opinion don't like that type of wind...their senses probably go into overload.
They can't smell, as wind is turning all over the place, and their hearing is screwed from all the noise.
They were probably just sitting tight!. not because they hate the cold..lol, just their main defenses were rendered nil.
Lots of guys were seeing Does...a few small 2 pts...but no large bucks......well 1 supposedly, was rumoured to be seen....but it was slow!
Lack of snow, I,m sure has left the deer more spread out.
Lots of active logging....huge areas removed this past year, makes me wonder if the deer will possibly change their routes to winter ground??? don't know??
Although, the best sign I saw was in the Active logging zones....but might be just that the ground was softer from trucks so that tracks were easily visible.
The real problem...I just don't have the time available to be out there that often.....that is always the big difference,...cant get em when ya sit here typing!!!:mrgreen: