PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon Rods

FlyingHigh
11-16-2014, 12:34 PM
I'm looking at starting to build up a sturgeon set up for when I get back home. I've been eyeballing a Shimano Technium, 8'. extra fast action, 60 - 80lb line.

I love my Technium drift rod, so I'm wondering if the Technium sturgeon rods are just as good.

keoke
11-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Probably the best rod for sturgeon. I bought a rapala magnum sturgeon rod and has done well so far.

Jack Russell
11-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Techniums aren't the best rod for sturgeon, but they are certainly the most popular, even amongst guides. They are fairly durable, strong, easy to find in the stores, and best of all, pretty easy on the wallet. They can be classified as the best rod in that price range.

FlyingHigh
11-16-2014, 02:23 PM
What would you consider the best sturgeon rod, period? And why? I'm willing to fork over more money for a better product if it really is that much better.

Jetboater
11-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Best rods for the money and quality are lamiglas 9 fters. Used to only be custom built but Fred's tackle now has a factory built version. . 15 years of guiding later That is all we use at STS guiding

srupp
11-16-2014, 08:15 PM
Hmm my sturgeon rod is Calstar custom tied at their shop..significant diference up in quality...and yes price also hooked up with a 2 speed Accurate reel twin drag 30 ....unbeatable top of the line in quality combo..no matter how big the dino..or hali or yellowfin..
Cheers
Steven

FlyingHigh
11-17-2014, 05:46 AM
I dunno about going fully custom, but I'll have a look at the Lamiglas rods. Fred's doesn't seem to have them listed on their website. What do they run for $?

Jetboater
11-17-2014, 09:41 AM
they are new, I picked up 4 8 fts as I was waiting for the 9s they are $299 a piece, If you want I heading to GP in december I can bring up whatever you want.

Foxtail
11-17-2014, 10:09 AM
The best rod I have used, and I feel it is better for fighting big fish is the Shimano Trevalla jigging rod in the 80# to 200# 6'6" model. I bought one first to try out and was blown away. Now all my buddies have switched over. I have a Tyrnos 30 2 speed on mine and it has landed a 10'4" fish and a 10'7" fish. you can lean as hard as you want into it and have absolutely no worries about the rods durability. They are not the best to shore fish with but dor the boat, nothing I have used yet has been as good.

BearStump
11-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Theres a nice technium floating somewhere down the lower fraser right now. bounced out of my brothers unsecured rod holder. lmao. You can keep it if you find it.

Ranger95
11-17-2014, 10:37 AM
a Technium attached to a TLD 25 loaded with 150lb braid has worked very well for me so far - I can't see why I would change!

FlyingHigh
11-17-2014, 02:38 PM
they are new, I picked up 4 8 fts as I was waiting for the 9s they are $299 a piece, If you want I heading to GP in december I can bring up whatever you want.

Thanks for the offer. I'll do more research and if I go for it I'll let you know. :)

a Technium attached to a TLD 25 loaded with 150lb braid has worked very well for me so far - I can't see why I would change!

This was pretty much my original plan. I'll have to do some more reading.

srupp
11-17-2014, 03:33 PM
hmmm IMO the dual braking of the Accurate..makes it quite the step up...I agree on boat rods for sturgeon being shorter my boat rod Calstar is 6 ft 6 and with rollers..fast action beast slayer..
Leaseman gave me a Technium rod for my birthday a couple years ago..use it also...

Steven

bandanaman
01-02-2015, 08:40 PM
I have the Technium as well as 2 Trophy XLs .Both work great but for me I prefer the Trophys as the reel seat is about 3 1/2 Inches shorter and far more comfortable for me to fish with.