PDA

View Full Version : My day so far........

Rich_D
11-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Decided to head Merritt way today in search of my first WT Buck.

Not a WT but too good to pass up a shot on.
305yds with my 6.5 Creedmoor.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj311/CyaN1de_01/20141115_094429.jpg (http://s275.photobucket.com/user/CyaN1de_01/media/20141115_094429.jpg.html)

Sofa King
11-15-2014, 12:53 PM
doubt that'll feed a family quite as good as a whitey would have.
hard to nail that whitey buck if you shoot every dog you see.
hopefully that's one I passed on the other afternoon.

Razor84
11-15-2014, 01:04 PM

Deer are not alarmed by gunfire. Shoot every predator you see, the deer will thank you

Rich_D
11-15-2014, 02:13 PM
She smelled pretty bad. Doubt my wife would cook it anyway. Lol

Had a chance at another about 10mins after posting but it ran off before I could get the scope on it.

bigredchev
11-15-2014, 02:30 PM
i always looked at it as shoot a coyote, save a day to harvest another day.

ElectricDyck
11-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Nice! I handled one that stunk so bad I was unable to get the smell off my hands for 3 days no matter what I used to wash with...rubber gloves from now on.

IronNoggin
11-15-2014, 08:35 PM

Oh for Eff's Sake! Are you EVER going to get over Yourself?? :confused:

SHEESH! :evil:

No need to sign this one - You Know Who I Am... :wink:

OutWest
11-15-2014, 08:59 PM

Plenty of time to shoot a buck. In the meantime, guys should be whacking every dog they see.

TPB
11-16-2014, 10:49 AM

You are right predators don't affect whitetail hunting at all!

"A multi-year study in the Savannah River Site in Aiken County, South Carolina, that in some ways sparked this call to action, found that 80 percent of fawn deaths were due to coyote predation. Recent studies in Texas have found that the coyote’s diet during June and July consists of 70 percent fawns"

obviously this isn't in our neck of the woods but do you think it differs that much... Sorry to hijack the thread Rich, good shooting

landphil
11-16-2014, 11:27 AM
Looks a lot better than the one I shot last month - I mean, she was a good looking dog until the frontal hit of a .284" 160gr accubond at over 2950 ft/sec. Nice shooting Rich.

Brambles
11-16-2014, 11:52 AM

Where do these guys come from?......save a deer, grease a predator!

adriaticum
11-16-2014, 12:03 PM
Just look at the guys who come home with deer.
Are they shooting dogs on the same hike?
There is your answer.

Jack Russell
11-16-2014, 12:14 PM
There is your answer.

Yeah, someone popped a sacrifice fly so someone else could walk home - if you get the baseball drift…..

Good shooting on the coyote.

landphil
11-16-2014, 12:45 PM
There is your answer.

How about shooting grouse? Does that eliminate one's chance of shooting big game in the same area that day?

keoke
11-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Ever since i sighted in my friends 300 win mag and had a doe and a fawn walk out 40 yards away and start feeding on the hill side i am a firm believer that gun shots do not affect deer in the area.

Brambles
11-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Maybe they didnt get a deer because they were hunting an area with high predator population?
hhhmmmmmm....... Wonder what a guy could do about that.... Hhhhmmmm

adriaticum
11-16-2014, 01:27 PM
How about shooting grouse? Does that eliminate one's chance of shooting big game in the same area that day?

I think so. When I stopped shooting grouse and rabbits on deer hunts, I was getting much closer to the deer.
I don't think you are upping your chances of getting deer by shooting other things in the same area.
So why do it.
I'm no expert, but if I look at guys like coach,proguide66 etc... the pattern seems to be evident.
I have not yet seen a picture of deer along with some side of grouse.

To qualify I mean on the same day during the same hunt. Of course if enough time passes things change.

OutWest
11-16-2014, 03:48 PM
We shoot dogs all the time and still come home with deer. Guess we're doing something wrong.

adriaticum
11-16-2014, 05:29 PM
We shoot dogs all the time and still come home with deer. Guess we're doing something wrong.

That's a general statement like I crap and eat chili every day.
You don't do it at the same time.
I hope.

zippermouth
11-16-2014, 07:12 PM
That's a general statement like I crap and eat chili every day.
You don't do it at the same time.
I hope.

are you kidding me?? deer show very liitle alarm when there are gunshots. I hammer every dog I see, I didn't kill a deer this year. that must be why??? I will always hammer any coyote/wolf I see, it will not hurt your hunt unless the deer is standing right beside you. more than likely will lift his head look at the noise, and if he doesn't see anything continue what he was doing.

coach
11-16-2014, 10:04 PM
I think so. When I stopped shooting grouse and rabbits on deer hunts, I was getting much closer to the deer.
I don't think you are upping your chances of getting deer by shooting other things in the same area.
So why do it.
I'm no expert, but if I look at guys like coach,proguide66 etc... the pattern seems to be evident.

To qualify I mean on the same day during the same hunt. Of course if enough time passes things change.

A couple points: #1 - I'm not an expert at anything hunting related. Not sure I'd even be qualified to carry proguides dirty laundry bag on a hunt.. #2 - there's an awful lot of "opinions" being passed off on this site as facts or knowledge. #3 - coyotes account for a very high percentage of fawn mortality every year. Hunters should think sbout that and try to control their numbers accordingly.

Outwest is an experienced and successful hunter (much more so than I am). When he says he's shot dogs and deer on the same hunt, he's not BS'ing. There's a reason you don't see a lot of pictures of dead coyotes, deer, rabbits and grouse on the same hunt. The first reason is that dealing with a dead 'yote takes away time from hunting ungulates. personaliy, I don't want their stinky hide in my pack while I'm hunting deer. As a result, photos are not usually not a priority. The second (pertaining to grouse and rabbits) is its a pain packing a second gun in to hunt small game with.

Do gunshots scare ungulates and reduce your chance of success? Based on my experience, NO.

Example #1 - many years ago, I was hunting with a friend for deer, rabbits and grouse. We had hiked a long way in. He packed the .22 and I had the .270. We strolled into a covey of grouse and shot a few of them. After the rest of the flock dispersed we decided to do little target practice. I shot a few rounds with the center fire and my buddy shot a dozen or so with the rim fire. After the smoke cleared we cleaned up our mess and started back along the trail. Two minutes later, and a couple hundred yards away, I spotted a 4 point MD bedded right beside the trail. Had I not noticed him, he would have stayed there as we walked right past. Of course, the second I did see him and tried to load my rifle, he bounced up and took off.

Example #2 - also many years ago.. I was hiking along with another friend hunting deer and grouse. I was packing a .222 and he was carrying a .270. At some point I spotted a grouse and killed it with a headshot from about 75 yards.. Extremely proud of myself, I ran over and collected my bird and we continued along our way. About 5 minutes later a 4 point mule deer came walking straight down the trail toward us. Unsure of the killing power of my small caliber, I told my buddy to take the shot - face on. His bullet went through the deer's left shoulder and the buck took off into the bush.. We tried to track it,but darkness soon fell. I went out the next morning and caught up to it.. Wounded but still alive. I put a bullet into him and finished him off. That was the first buck I ever harvested.

So, Adriaticum, there's some real world experience that says it is possible to hunt mixed species on the same hunt and that deer aren't overly concerned with gunshots. Maybe you've got experience that says differently. If not, you're passing off assumptions as facts.

Sorry to the OP for the hijack. Great work on whacking the dog and doing your part to control predators.

zippermouth
11-16-2014, 10:27 PM
thanks coach for taking the time to write that. my experiences and thoughts are very similar to yours.

Big Hoss
11-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Good job on the coyote.

As to the comments of shooting coyotes lessens your chance of shooting deer a buddy and I where out for a hunt a few years ago and on our drive in to check out an area we stopped to shoot at a coyote ( unfortunately missed ) drove no more than 150 yards and shot a small 3x4 mulie. Also how many have missed with there first shot just to have the deer stand there looking around. Just my 2 cents

dana
11-16-2014, 10:35 PM
Good job on the yote.
My kids and I shoot chickens and rabbits and still are rather successful at killing deer. Heck, I post pics on a regular basis with them holding all those critters. I kill the odd coyote at the same time. Maybe a bear or a wolf too. If you want to be successful at deer hunting, then you have to do your part in predator control. Plain and simple!

adriaticum
11-16-2014, 11:50 PM
Coach,

#1 I am not passing any facts. Passing my experience. There are no "facts". This is not math.
As I stopped shooting grouse and rabbits I definitely saw more deer. I did not cut a tag yet, but I certainly had more opportunities to observe and pattern their behaviour.

#2 I am also not saying shooting predators is not a good idea, just don't think it's a good idea to shoot them while your focus is deer. I have concluded, according to my experience, that there are many reasons why not. But I don't want to get too philosophical.
Shooting rimfire is a bit of a different game. It's not as loud.
But in essence, if shooting centerfire on other things while hunting deer is a good idea, it would be universally recommended by hunting professionals.
The fact that you came across a deer twice while shooting centerfire does not force me conclude that deer are not alarmed by gunfire.
The other 13,000 times when you didn't shoot it, is probably a stronger pattern.
I have shot grouse on a road and then later a mule deer jumped on the road right in front of my truck a few miles away.
Do I conclude that deer are not alarmed by gunfire from that? No.

#3 I certainly value your experience more than mine, so next time I setup in a blind and wait for deer, I'll blast a few warm up shots. God knows, I need the practice.

Some people live in thick deer country and maybe have opportunities to see both deer and coyotes and shoot both within 10 minutes.
I don't doubt that OutWest is a great hunter. But I also don't know him.
But I don't think anybody can persuade me that shooting other things in an area I hope to shoot a deer in is a good idea.

There is also truth in saying that deer are not alarmed by gunfire.
I'm sure deer around the Poco Range and Mission R&G don't give 2 shits about gunfire.
They hear it all day long.
But they are more an exception than a rule.

Finally, what I firmly believe is that deer will react to gunshots and any sounds differently, depending on how they feel they are camouflaged and blend into their surroundings.

adriaticum
11-16-2014, 11:58 PM
I hammer every dog I see, I didn't kill a deer this year. that must be why???

I don't know.
You tell me.

Rich_D
11-17-2014, 12:01 AM
No problem on the Hijack Coach...you post some good points.

I have, both at the range and in the wild, seen that gun shots do not bother the deer. I shot my first MD Buck that was with 3 or 4 does and not one of them moved while I proceeded to put 2 rounds into the buck (2nd was not needed but I like insurance when I am unsure). They did not even so much as flinch until the buck succumbed to his fatal injuries and hit the dirt kicking.

If nothing is moving in the area and I get a Coyote in my sights....be darned sure the Coyote will lose out every time.

Adriaticum: So you are saying that zippermouth didn't kill a deer this year because he shoots Coyotes on sight, but you don't shoot anything but your intended quarry and you also have not cut a tag? Seems like you're both in the same boat only zippermouth has been doing his part to help control the predator population......point to ponder perhaps? ;)

J-F
11-17-2014, 01:09 AM
I have had the same experience as Coach and others.

In fact, the largest whitetail I've seen afield came to investigate after I shot at a doe.

This has been true on a few other occasions, with both whitetail and mule deer.

adriaticum
11-17-2014, 08:41 AM
No problem on the Hijack Coach...you post some good points.

I have, both at the range and in the wild, seen that gun shots do not bother the deer. I shot my first MD Buck that was with 3 or 4 does and not one of them moved while I proceeded to put 2 rounds into the buck (2nd was not needed but I like insurance when I am unsure). They did not even so much as flinch until the buck succumbed to his fatal injuries and hit the dirt kicking.

If nothing is moving in the area and I get a Coyote in my sights....be darned sure the Coyote will lose out every time.

Adriaticum: So you are saying that zippermouth didn't kill a deer this year because he shoots Coyotes on sight, but you don't shoot anything but your intended quarry and you also have not cut a tag? Seems like you're both in the same boat only zippermouth has been doing his part to help control the predator population......point to ponder perhaps? ;)

Rich, yes good point.
But picture is worth a 1000 words.
When i start seeing guys post pictures od coyotes shot in their deer honey holes along with deer, I will become a believer.
Good for zippermouth for shooting coyotes.
I only saw 1 so far this year in a private field and the owners do not allow hunting.
But coyote season goes a while yet.
Hopefully my e caller will bring some in.

Salty
11-17-2014, 08:53 AM
adriaticum, yet again people are trying to teach you something but as one of the least experienced people on this board you brush off what you hear, automatically disagree with them and even argue with them and try to tell us how it is. Its a pattern with you I'm not trying to be a dick here but if you really want to learn at a decent pace you need to be quiet, listen and learn.

adriaticum
11-17-2014, 09:25 AM
adriaticum, yet again people are trying to teach you something but as one of the least experienced people on this board you brush off what you hear, automatically disagree with them and even argue with them and try to tell us how it is. Its a pattern with you I'm not trying to be a dick here but if you really want to learn at a decent pace you need to be quiet, listen and learn.

Good point Salty.
You would make me an instant believer if you showed me a picture of a coyote and a deer shot within a mile radius on the same hunt.
For us newbies its sometimes hard to tell bs from reality. It's the internet.
The pattern with me is that i dont believe everything i read on the Internet.
Picture is worth a 1000 words.

coach
11-17-2014, 09:50 AM
Good point Salty.
You would make me an instant believer if you showed me a picture of a coyote and a deer shot within a mile radius on the same hunt.

You're right, Adriaticum.. I was just making shit up to look cool online. Deer are actually terrified of gun shots - or any other loud noises for that matter. I've heard of entire drainages emptying of game because a boulder rolled off a hillside. Happens all the time.

Cookie1965
11-17-2014, 09:59 AM
Good point Salty.

Funny stuff. Like every hunter takes a camera every time they go out in the bush and photographs everything they shoot complete with GPS coordinates so you'll be convinced. Hell most BC hunters don't post on here, doesn't mean they don't shoot dogs and deer the same day.

adriaticum
11-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Funny stuff. Like every hunter takes a camera every time they go out in the bush and photographs everything they shoot complete with GPS coordinates so you'll be convinced. Hell most BC hunters don't post on here, doesn't mean they don't shoot dogs and deer the same day.

Sure cookie i certainly agree. Not everyone is a serial photographer like coach

The question us not whether people shoot dogs and deer on the same day but whether they shoot coyotes in their deer holes when they hunt for deer.
My bet woulde be that they don't and that they try and be as quiet as possible.
Some people may be confident that they will see deer every time they go out and wouldn't mind spoiling a deer hunt by shooting something else. And thats fair.
I just think that majority of people are not in that position.

Duck Buster
11-17-2014, 10:14 AM
I was hunting BT with my bow the other night on some private land, 2 guys were in a flooded feild 400-500 yrds away smashing ducks for the last 2 hrs of the day. I thought it would ruin my hunt but I sat it out anyway to see what would happen, the 17 deer I saw could have cared less that there was gun fire. They all just went about their buisness like nothing was going on. The only reason I did not get a deer was due to me being picky.
This being said, I have passed on preditors while stalking into tight areas, but it was more that I did not want to loose time dealing with a dog or bear while looking for ungulates.

adriaticum
11-17-2014, 10:29 AM
I was hunting BT with my bow the other night on some private land, 2 guys were in a flooded feild 400-500 yrds away smashing ducks for the last 2 hrs of the day. I thought it would ruin my hunt but I sat it out anyway to see what would happen, the 17 deer I saw could have cared less that there was gun fire. They all just went about their buisness like nothing was going on. The only reason I did not get a deer was due to me being picky.
This being said, I have passed on preditors while stalking into tight areas, but it was more that I did not want to loose time dealing with a dog or bear while looking for ungulates.

I was hunting bt the other day and saw lots of sign but no deer and a mile away some guys were blasting ducks.
Do you ever wonder why deer become nocturnal and stay in the timber during hunting season? I am still trying to answer that one.

Daybreak
11-17-2014, 10:36 AM
If you see a predator, whack it... no questions asked. The rest will look after itself. You will be doing yourself and other hunters a favour in the long run.

Sometimes we have a tendency to overthink things.

coach
11-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Not everyone is a serial photographer like coach.

very true.. No doubt this site needs less pictures and more opinions. Nothing inspires others to post more than a few guys derailing every thread. You and sofa king are definitely leaders.

Dannybuoy
11-17-2014, 10:45 AM
You're right, Adriaticum.. I was just making shit up to look cool online. Deer are actually terrified of gun shots - or any other loud noises for that matter. I've heard of entire drainages emptying of game because a boulder rolled off a hillside. Happens all the time.

You are a baaad man Coach ! :-D:-D
Personally I always carry my .410 and nail grouse and rabbits on my way or while road hunting ...it might even help to get deer as if they are bedded down close by the "bang" will make them stand up and be more visible . Anyone that has hunted mulies can attest that they are very curious critters , the does more so than the bucks But where go the does ... the bucks will follow. Also I can say that I have shot bucks on multiple occaisions where I have had an audience of deer watching me field dress a member of their herd .
P.S. Adriaticum ... If you took advise that others have given you , you would have filled a tag by now ie target practice .

adriaticum
11-17-2014, 10:52 AM
very true.. No doubt this site needs less pictures and more opinions. Nothing inspires others to post more than a few guys derailing every thread. You and sofa king are definitely leaders.

That's not what I was saying.
I was just stating a "fact".
You take lots of pictures. And so do dana and sofa king.
I definitely appreciate your picture posts.

You are reading into things weird, perhaps there is some sort of an agenda.
Or you just say things to make yourself look cool on the Internet.

Coach, I don't know you from the hole in the ground and vice versa.
But one thing you will learn about me is that nothing pisses me off more than a bunch of Internet nobodies ganging up on a guy.

adriaticum
11-17-2014, 10:55 AM
You are a baaad man Coach ! :-D:-D
Personally I always carry my .410 and nail grouse and rabbits on my way or while road hunting ...it might even help to get deer as if they are bedded down close by the "bang" will make them stand up and be more visible . Anyone that has hunted mulies can attest that they are very curious critters , the does more so than the bucks But where go the does ... the bucks will follow. Also I can say that I have shot bucks on multiple occaisions where I have had an audience of deer watching me field dress a member of their herd .
P.S. Adriaticum ... If you took advise that others have given you , you would have filled a tag by now ie target practice .

Believe me Dannybuoy, I have taken the advice and target practiced. But, the reason I haven't filled my tag is not the accuracy or the lack of trying. Well other than that one 4pt I missed in September.

adamgarbett
11-17-2014, 10:58 AM
the only predator adriaticum sees is car jackers in surrey. by the looks of it he spends more time posting on here then hunting

OutWest
11-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Not everyone is a serial photographer like coach.

You're right - some of us are just serial posters on HBC. Less typing and more hunting would probably help. Sent a 180 grain through a coyotes head yesterday while it was harassing my hunting partner's cattle. Not 10 minutes later 3 basket bucks walked out of the trees only 200 yards away. Not monsters but that's not the point.

Had a member from this site text me last weekend while we were mulie hunting. He was watching 3 coyotes above us and wanted to know if we minded if he let fly. Long story short he plugged one and the deer on that hillside were not concerned in the least. Business as usual.

Coach, don't be so humble. Your resume looks good and is growing quickly. Heck of a season so far!

adriaticum
11-17-2014, 11:10 AM
You're right - some of us are just serial posters on HBC. Less typing and more hunting would probably help. Sent a 180 grain through a coyotes head yesterday while it was harassing my hunting partner's cattle. Not 10 minutes later 3 basket bucks walked out of the trees only 200 yards away. Not monsters but that's not the point.

Had a member from this site text me last weekend while we were mulie hunting. He was watching 3 coyotes above us and wanted to know if we minded if he let fly. Long story short he plugged one and the deer on that hillside were not concerned in the least. Business as usual.

Coach, don't be so humble. Your resume looks good and is growing quickly. Heck of a season so far!

Well OutWest, I agree with you. More hunting, less posting would help.
But I can only go out on the weekends and so we can count the days I have been out since the start of the season.
And that's every weekend.
Not hard to figure out.
It's certainly not as much as some of the guys in the bush can do, but it's all the time I have available.

Duck Buster
11-17-2014, 11:55 AM
I was hunting bt the other day and saw lots of sign but no deer and a mile away some guys were blasting ducks.
Do you ever wonder why deer become nocturnal and stay in the timber during hunting season? I am still trying to answer that one.

So what you are saying is that duck hunters make deer go nocturnal.... Did you even read what I wrote, it was my experiance that the shooting, which was close and continious, had NO effect on the deer in my area. Maybe you should spend more time out in the bush experiancing things for yourself and less time here commenting on absolutly everything that anyone says that may not match your ideas. You have one oppinion but there 10 other guys on this post alone who disagree with you not saying you are wrong but you are definetly one argumentative SOB arn't you.

To the OP nice dog good for you

dana
11-17-2014, 03:53 PM
Here's some proof. Same area, same day while deer hunting. My brother killed the wolves, my son killed the whitetail.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/P9120105a.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCBOY/media/Hunting%20Pics/P9120105a.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/P9110098a.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCBOY/media/Hunting%20Pics/P9110098a.jpg.html)

I actually missed the alpha male in this pack the day before, but my son still got this muley the same day.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/P9100042a.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCBOY/media/Hunting%20Pics/P9100042a.jpg.html)

adriaticum
11-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Thanks dana, that's good to see.
It's unfortunate that this thread has deteriorated to the point of mere shit slinging which was not anyone's intention.

coach
11-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Thanks dana, that's good to see.
It's unfortunate that this thread has deteriorated to the point of mere shit slinging which was not anyone's intention.

Did you read post #2?

dana
11-17-2014, 04:35 PM
There is your answer.

Your first post on this thread is above. You and Sofa both intended this thread to go sideways. If you are going to stir the $hit at least be man enough to admit it. Several well accomplished hunters have posted on here and you still feel the need to defend your BS. The fact is, many many of us have had countless experiences shooting other critters all while deer hunting. It is pretty easy to multi task. Be it bears, wolves, coyotes, grouse, hares, moose, other deer etc...

adriaticum
11-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Your first post on this thread is above. You and Sofa both intended this thread to go sideways. If you are going to stir the $hit at least be man enough to admit it. Several well accomplished hunters have posted on here and you still feel the need to defend your BS. The fact is, many many of us have had countless experiences shooting other critters all while deer hunting. It is pretty easy to multi task. Be it bears, wolves, coyotes, grouse, hares, moose, other deer etc...

I am not going to try and persuade you that my first post, has nothing to with stirring $hit, and that it's a mere observation.
At this point it doesn't matter.

Now, coach, I read post#2 and I know the guy.
So I know what he meant. And again, it didn't have anything to do with stirring $hit.
It meant that if you are skinning dogs, you are most likely not skinning deer.
Some guys have taken it way out of proportion and out of focus.

howa1500
11-17-2014, 05:30 PM
I am going to bite...

Regarding gun shots scaring the wildlife. I'm not sure where others hunt, however the areas I have gone to (successfully) are inundated with other hunters. I don't have many honey holes, I travel the regions regularly using hunting season as a chance to get out and explore. In all the areas I've gone in, some days have sounded like the invasion of Iraq with the amount of gun fire going off, yet people are still getting animals.

I used to focus just on one animal, and not tag anything in my areas fearing it would spook the deer. Then one year I said "F*&% it" I'm going to be prepared and shoot whatever comes my way. Shockingly since then I have had days where in the same high pressure area I (or a hunting buddy that I'm with) have shot multiple critters, including grouse and a deer, ducks and a deer, ducks and a bear, and yes the "super rare" coyote 1st deer 2nd combo.

The more I put it to thought, it's maybe because I started seeing critters better, or opened my vision to any movement as opposed to looking for a deer, or maybe the gun shots scared the critters towards me....

I have never gone hunting except maybe a dozen or so times, where I haven't heard at least 1 gun shot go off in the area.

I stopped over thinking stuff, and just go out and hunt.

EDIT: I also have not shot a "trophy" animal, and am quite happy with meat bucks during the year. I have also been lucky in that I usually get a deer early, and can spend the rest of the season messing about.

dana
11-17-2014, 05:35 PM
So why do it.

Another quote from you. You single out Coach as an example and then when he disagrees with you, you go on argueing with him as if he doesn't know $hit about hunting. So which is it? I have seen countless threads over the years with pictures of dead deer and dead chickens. I've posted countless of these pictures myself. Maybe you need to start paying attention on this forum eh??

604redneck
11-17-2014, 05:40 PM
3 years ago i was guiding 2 clients from germany for moose and i had called in a small bull in which the first client was happy with, 60 yard shot was made and the moose shuttered. i told him to put 1 more round in him and so he did. These shots were both with a 9.3x62. The moose went down they hooted and hollered in excitement we walked down to the moose and did the picture thing. Not 2 minutes after i started dealing with the moose i see a 50" bull 150 yards to our left and the other client killed his moose. It was weird the moose didnt look terrified at all from the 2 other shots that were fired just 15 minutes earlier.........danas brother was actually in this same camp.

Last year monasheemountainman and myself were hunting mule deer i shot a buck out of a group of 5 and the others ran maybe 50 yards and stopped and 1 stared back at his buddy for a few minutes and he had his buck on the ground.

this year a hunter killed his leh moose in 3-12 and my buddy got his leh mulie doe about 5 minutes and 200 yards away with the other does in the group not even bothered by the gun shot that killed there buddy.

Salty
11-17-2014, 05:45 PM
On the couple shooting ranges out here I've seen a sow and a cub cross within 5 yards of the hundred yard back stop just as I was ready to shoot a group and 30 seconds after I had just done so. I had a grouse in my sights with a .22lr in hand after just unloading 5 shots at the 50 yd. And deer tracks all over hells half acre the morning after several hundred rounds were blasted the evening before. I hear that deer have heard thunder before too. And road blasting.

Back on track. Nice yote good shot OP!

hoochie
11-17-2014, 05:46 PM
reading through some of the posts; hearing all kinds of myths

Fact: if you see a group of deer and shoot one, the deer will go stand near the one that is dead. they do not run away.
I have shot grouse within 100m of deer and the deer did not run away. I shot the grouse, didn't know the deer where there, then as I kept walking came across mule deer eating in a cut. They most certainly heard the shot.
I have video of a doe coming out of the timbers to meet other deer as I sat and watched. I had been sitting there for a while and had 4 smoke butts beside me.. the deer still came out.
My limited experience in hunting has shown me that deer pay far more attention to movement than to sound.

I jumped in late, not ganging up.. just passing on my experience.

zippermouth
11-17-2014, 05:47 PM
adriaticum, the first impression I got from reading your first couple of responses was you saying not to shoot predators while hunting different big game species. now if someone doesn't want to kill a dog in fear of spooking something I am fine with that. but to go on here and outright say don't kill dogs when deer hunting because you wont kill deer is just foolish. guys come on here to learn and when someone is spewing bs, about something like killing preds it gets on guys nerves. the reason us hardcore guys kill preds is for the benefit of the animals like deer we are hunting. I will gladly kill a pred and spook a deer in the hopes I have just saved a few deer down the road.

adriaticum
11-17-2014, 06:22 PM
Another quote from you. You single out Coach as an example and then when he disagrees with you, you go on argueing with him as if he doesn't know $hit about hunting. So which is it? I have seen countless threads over the years with pictures of dead deer and dead chickens. I've posted countless of these pictures myself. Maybe you need to start paying attention on this forum eh??

I would be a damn fool if I said coach doesn't know anything about hunting.
I don't know how you come up with that stuff.

adriaticum
11-17-2014, 06:25 PM
if someone doesn't want to kill a dog in fear of spooking something I am fine with that.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

zippermouth
11-17-2014, 07:24 PM
That's exactly what I'm saying.

no you were saying that if you shoot a pred you will spook the deer and not be successful. you are spreading the word to all the people who read these threads about a misguided or false statement. killing preds while deer hunting has more benefit than you realize and I wish everybody would hammer coyotes while hunting. but a lot of people dont because they are under the same impression you are.

hoochie
11-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Like the metallica album.. KILL EM ALL! ;)

Daybreak
11-17-2014, 07:39 PM
The only one getting hammered around here is Adriaticum. Perhaps we could all let it go. If we all thought the same or expressed ourselves the same it would be a pretty dull board. I don't think he meant for any of this to develop.

Lillypuff
11-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Take a look at oureas thread on big whites as he has a video of a deer and it's reaction of gunshots.

lovemywinchester
11-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Nice dog Rich D. I saw two nice yotes last week near Tunkwa and they were both white as could be as well. One ran by me in the middle of a clearing and I missed him. looking forward to ssome winter pred hunting. Are you getting the hide done?

Believe me Dannybuoy, I have taken the advice and target practiced. But, the reason I haven't filled my tag is not the accuracy or the lack of trying. Well other than that one 4pt I missed in September.

Yes it is the accuracy.

5290 posts. No dead deer. I told you in September to shut your computer off and go hunting. Report back in a month. People are getting tired of your shit on here.

IslandmanDan
11-17-2014, 10:33 PM
Haha, I was gonna watch Mountain Men or Yukon Men, then I was like lets check HBC maybe there is something cool, havent really been on there much this fall (been hunting,hard).
I can say equally as entertaining.
I do know that too much of anything, might not be a good thing. Be it hunting, computers, booze, etc....

Nice 'yote man! Tried to get a few but they have all been shot at and take off like a bat outta hell...

Rich_D
11-19-2014, 10:41 PM
Haha, I was gonna watch Mountain Men or Yukon Men, then I was like lets check HBC maybe there is something cool, havent really been on there much this fall (been hunting,hard).
I can say equally as entertaining.
I do know that too much of anything, might not be a good thing. Be it hunting, computers, booze, etc....

Nice 'yote man! Tried to get a few but they have all been shot at and take off like a bat outta hell...

Another few weeks and I break out the e-caller, hand calls and the 22-250. :D

Rich_D
11-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Are you getting the hide done?

Not this one (I showed the good side ;)). Still have a salted hide from last year to take in though.