PDA

View Full Version : Update on my son's deer

PointMan
11-13-2014, 02:22 PM
UPDATE ON MY SON'S DEER:
As some of you know, two days ago I posted photos and a story of my son's first Mulie buck, a spiker. Only to find out that I had misread the regs and any buck was NOT open for youths as I had thought. It made me physically ill to realize that I had put my son, and a friend in a situation where an illegal deer had been harvested. Despite the fact that I knew it would mean losing the deer, my son's deer, and possibly fines and/or legal action, I IMMEDIATELY called the RAPP hotline and reported myself.

I just got back from meeting with the CO, I have surrendered the deer and accepted my fine, $345 of it. The CO was quite reasonable and empathetic. He accepted my story, he congratulated my son on such a fine shot, and chose to fine me the minimum allowable.

john.b
11-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Thank you for the update. Glad to hear it worked out as well as it could have. I do however, find it unfortunate that the deer was surrendered and a fine issued when this was clearly a mistake and (i am assuming) a first offence.
neither of these two things bring the deer back to life. I personally find that while your actions may have been a little negligent (we all make mistakes) your intten was not to illegally harvest a deer. Thats just my $0.02.

The Hermit
11-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Oh man that is a hard pill to swallow for both you and your son. I hope he (and you for that matter) isn't too freaked out about future identification decisions and that you get him right back out there to harvest a legal deer! Good on you for reporting your mistake and in doing so teaching your boy another extremely important life lesson! He should be proud of you. Well done.

luckofthedraw
11-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Unfortunate, but I'm glad it worked out. Nice the CO was reasonable, and neat that he congratulated your sons shot. They have to give you a fine and confiscate the animal, the law is the law. Think of how many unethical guys could claim "a mistake". Good on you for owning up to yours.

.264winmag
11-13-2014, 02:54 PM
Unfortunate they took the meat AND fined you! Man it's a kid with his first buck, should be open for youths anyway IMO. I guess you did the responsible thing though bud, teaches the youngster some excellent values. But part of me woulda wanted to keep it, and keep quiet:) I've seen many animals wasted illegally and 'legally' if you get my drift. If it was my sons' first buck I hope I'd have the balls to turn it in! Definitely the best route to go, not worth losing hunting license etc. over I guess. Don't sweat it, your son will have his chance again.

albravo2
11-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Well played OP, the lesson about standing up and owning a mistake is more important for your son than his first deer.

We all make mistakes and how you handled yours shows a lot about your character.

11-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Your a better man then me.....
good on you

Darksith
11-13-2014, 03:04 PM
I understand confiscation of the animal. I do not agree however with the fine. If you are going to get a fine then how many people are going to call and report themselves when they already know they are free and clear (animal at home) after they realize they made a mistake. Just proves that the system is broken and does nothing to encourage the mistakes to report themselves after the fact. It will simply encourage people to walk away from an animal in the woods when they pull the trigger and then realize they made a mistake, and people to not pick up the phone when they are at home reviewing their actions and realize they messed up.

That being said, 5 stars to the OP for doing the right thing and showing his son that owning up to a mistake is the right thing to do.

PointMan
11-13-2014, 03:06 PM
I think I put him in a pretty tough spot really. It wasn't like the regs were unclear, or I messed up the date by a day or two, the season was closed for any buck for almost two weeks. ( since Sept 9 for youth) I accept the fine as justified, tough to swallow, yes, but justified.

J-Man
11-13-2014, 03:07 PM
They have to give you a fine and confiscate the animal, the law is the law. Think of how many unethical guys could claim "a mistake". Good on you for owning up to yours.

This type of thing happened to my buddy two years back around at Sheriddan Lake. It wasn't a spiker but a miss count on a 4 pnt, 3x3 with a big brow tine. When he reported himself the CO just took the deer and made sure the tag was cancelled. So they can issue warnings for honest mistakes they don't have to fine you. Just like a speeding ticket, you've never got off with a warning?

J-Man
11-13-2014, 03:09 PM
The other point there, if your already an "unethical guy" why would you report yourself. Its the ones caught red handed that need the big fines. :-D

Whonnock Boy
11-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Great job PM instilling values, and ethics in your son.

Honestly, I don't see confiscation, and a fine were in the best interest of the conservation service. Obviously it was an honest mistake on your part, and well documented as well. (FB and HBC) I would have thought that a warning and forfeiture of the deer would have sufficed, or the fine and no confiscation. The fine, a hefty one at that, and confiscation of the deer has most likely pushed those that were leery of self reporting to the other side imo.

Citori54
11-13-2014, 03:21 PM
I am not sure what a reasonable penalty is for the mistake. What I do know is that your son has a fine example for a father. Your actions are commendable especially in this era where very few take responsbility for his/her actions. Well done.....hopefully karma will come into play and your son will harvest a monster buck!!

OutWest
11-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Sucks you got a fine but you've set a good example for your son by doing the right thing and there is a good lesson or two that I'm sure you will both take from this. You've got my respect!

BigfishCanada
11-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Great job PM instilling values, and ethics in your son.

The fine, a hefty one at that, and confiscation of the deer has most likely pushed those that were leery of self reporting to the other side imo.

Well honesty is the best policy on this, and you made a simple mistake, and I am not upset in anyway for your actions because you stood up and dealt with it with honesty like a man

BUT to the comments about the fine and the confiscation being to much, i have to disagree. he misunderstood his obligation as he said, his mistake was one of law. Generally, ignorance of the law is no excuse.Anyways its over, all the best and thank you for reminding us all not to assume in many cases we know what we are talking about!

Brez
11-13-2014, 04:02 PM
I completely agree with the penalty. I applaud you and the CO for how you both handled the situation. Good on you for reporting yourself and good on him for only applying the minimum fine and being courteous complimentary to your son.
Mistakes are made......and we pay for them.

Liveforthehunt
11-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Nothing but respect for you point man although clearly stated in the regs I'm sure you have learned a valuable lesson and your raising your son to be a fine respectable hunter to the animals and regulations, I hope your son will still be successful in the remainder of the season cheers! :)

BearStump
11-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Rest well knowing that when your son grows up and goes out hunting with his buddies that HE will always be the one that checks, and double checks the regs before the hunt starts. It's a $345 lesson learned. that will never be forgotten.

Lillypuff
11-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Great on you for your actions. You are teaching your son a valuable lesson. Wish there was more people out there like you. As for consequences could have been a lot worse. Thanks and keep up being a good father.

Fred1
11-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Well done owning up to the mistake! Well done setting a good example for your boy and the rest of us! *Claps hands

Stone Sheep Steve
11-13-2014, 04:41 PM
The high road is the only road to take ......just as you did. Well done! You are both better people for it.

SSS

Bugle M In
11-13-2014, 04:44 PM
good for you to own up to a clear "Mistake"...nothing more, and hope you all sleep well tonite!

Seeker
11-13-2014, 04:49 PM
I admire and respect you for your actions! The right thing was done. I am dissapointed you got fined.

I was sent a picture from my brother in laws friend who claimed he shot a whitetail buck, I returned the text telling him it was a mule deer, then told him it was poached because it was a 4 point or better season in the area he claimed to have shot it. He does the same thing by turning himself in. CO forgets about him, his guilt gets the better of him, he reports himself again, CO says, oh yeah, good for you for reporting yourself, it was "close to the boundary so give me a few steaks and we'll forget about it!" WTF and you got a fine !!! BAH!

.264winmag
11-13-2014, 05:35 PM
Agree with Darksith, the steep fines seem make hunters lean towards leaving an illegal animal in the bush. If the animal has been salvaged and tag punched isn't it fair to be able to keep the meat at least? The fine makes sense and I guess is an appropriate amount. The big penalties should be handed out to those that leave the animal in the bush. It's a very fine line on how to handle each situation. But kids first buck! Let him eat it at least...

Grumpa Joe
11-13-2014, 09:43 PM
You are a quality person for owning up to a mistake and taking the consequences. If you didn't report it would nag you forever plus there is always the possibility that you were observed and reported and would surely face much stiffer consequences including forfeiture of the game, confiscation of your gear and vehicle, plus a substantial fine and potential criminal record. Try traveling anywhere with that. Life provides us with many bitter pills to swallow. Nobody likes consequences but it takes a real man (or woman) to take their lumps.

As far as the CO, he did what he had to by law and gave the minimum amount of fine that he could for the infraction.

You've got some good karma coming and your son is sure to shoot another animal and he'll feel much better that it won't be tainted.

Kudos to you.

Fisher-Dude
11-13-2014, 10:12 PM
Well done, Pointman. That's the right thing to do. Wish all hunters had your morality and ethics.

kayjayess
11-13-2014, 10:17 PM
First off congratulations on doing the right thing. You are setting an excellent example for your son and others in the hunting community.

Second, I agree with the posters stating that the COs actions were too severe. I can assure you that many will read this thread and NEVER report their honest mistake realizing that it is going to cost them a great deal. Yes, I know some will continue to self report, and good on you.

Lastly, another poignant reminder that these social media sites are the kiss of death. Again there are a group of guys sitting behind their key board saying "shoot I am never posting my stories/pictures for fear of inadvertently dobbing myself in for some unknowing violation."

Sofa King
11-13-2014, 10:26 PM
given the circumstances, and how it was clearly an honest mistake, and as far from poaching as it gets, I think the fine wasn't necessary.
might have been better if instead of the fine, they just made you pay for the deer's processing.

shelg
11-13-2014, 10:45 PM
I think most of it has been said already but coming back to HBC and sharing your story is very classy. Anyone who can say openly, I made a mistake, has my respect any day!

Steeleco
11-13-2014, 10:45 PM
The memories for you both will long outlast the meat in the end. Sad it played out this way, but in the end the right thing happened. Best of luck with his next big game animal.

Whonnock Boy
11-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Again there are a group of guys sitting behind their key board saying "shoot I am never posting my stories/pictures for fear of inadvertently dobbing myself in for some unknowing violation."

Yup... Another one was posted today on the FB page. They had put up a vid of a blacktail hunt, and during the hunt in an attempt to lure the buck in for a better shot, they downloaded an app for an electronic buck grunt. The phone goes off, and in comes the buck. I see that it is deleted, however I wonder if they will have the same fortitude as pointman.

RB2
11-13-2014, 11:32 PM
Congrats on doing the right thing. Not only has your son learned about honesty, but also courage. 2 life skills that will make him a great person!

PointMan
11-14-2014, 12:00 AM
I just got home from work, and I have to admit, I was more than a little apprehensive about checking on my post. I can't begin to express how humbled and grateful I was to read the supporting comments I received from you all! When I left for work today my spirits were pretty low, but thanks to all your support I'm in MUCH better spirits! Thank you all again for the kind words!

I know that some of you feel that the CO took the wrong path in fining me, and I understand that, but I honestly believe that had I only missed the date by a day or two, he would have been more comfortable in handing out a warning, he genuinely seemed to feel bad for fining me. I truly hope his decision doesn't deter anyone from self reporting, should they make a similar mistake.

Thank you all again for reinforcing my faith in the brotherhood among hunters!

russm86
11-14-2014, 10:10 AM
Great to see someone honest and reporting themselves. I do agree with others that the cost of the fine on top of the forfeit of the animal may dissuade some from self reporting, however, at the same time it will hopefully make others think twice about a questionable harvest and err on the side of caution instead of gambling (thinking the worst that will happen if they are wrong is just a very minimal fine and they keep the animal, or lose the animal with no fine, may in some aspect "encourage" people to risk making the wrong choice rather than making 100% sure of what they are doing). Also, I'm not rich by any means, but feel the $345 fine is not excessive and when you think about it, is really probably a small fraction of what most hunters spend on fuel, firearms, scopes, optics, ammo, vehicles, etc. (all of which could be confiscated technically).

howa1500
11-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Dude, much respect for self reporting twice, once to the COs and once on the internet!
Your soon is lucky to have a father with strong ethics!

Ron.C
11-14-2014, 11:04 AM
first off, good for you. Your actions owning up to the mistake will probably be one of the most valuable life lessons you could teach your son. However, I'm going to remain impartial on the fine and not play armchair CO. I have no idea what other factors he had to consider when making his decison. I would think a small fine such as this should in no way be a deterrent to those who wish to do the right thing and self report.

300H&H
11-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Don't beat yourself up too much PointMan, it happens to the best of us...trust me I know.
But as it says in the hunting regs, mistakes happen, how we choose to react to them is the sign of a true sportsman ( I am paraphrasing).
You did the right thing and you showed your boy a positive side to you. 2 thumbs up

300H&H
11-14-2014, 05:52 PM
FYI my fine was $175 and the deer went to a family where the Dad could not get out hunting, he had terminal cancer.
That made the pill a little easier to swallow.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-14-2014, 06:30 PM
FYI my fine was $175 and the deer went to a family where the Dad could not get out hunting, he had terminal cancer.
That made the pill a little easier to swallow.
Been there too HH. Kid involved as well. CO was an amazing individual and all he cared about was to minimize the impacts on the kid. Hard to believe he didn't have kids of his own. Restored my faith in the system.....and myself. Could not report it fast enough.

SSS

markt308
11-14-2014, 06:51 PM
you're a good man! $375 is nothing in the grand scheme. way to set a solid example for your boy. That's a great dad right there