PDA

View Full Version : Prince George Deer hunting

dave_83golf
11-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Alright guys, it's been 2 years since I was a regular poster on this site and I come back with my arms in the air wondering what to do. I usually hunt the open country of Kamloops and have been very successful there for WT and MD over the past 5/6 years. I have been spending far more time in the PG area of late and have been trying to figure out the area for deer hunting. I've spent quite a few days up around Docs lake and a couple of days on the black water, I love to hike, and prefer it to road hunting! Can someone please tell me where I'm going wrong. I hiked nearly 10km 4 days ago looking for deer and didn't even see a track out the docs way, NOT A TRACK. to say I'm frustrated would be an understatement.

Any guidance dance would be appreciated, it isn't for a lack of effort On My part.

As always, thanks a million

Dave

todbartell
11-13-2014, 12:34 PM
you're hunting area with a low deer density. Maybe head south to Quesnel/Williams Lake or Kamloops if you want to see lots of deer.

mcmullmar
11-13-2014, 12:38 PM
Vanderhoof has lots of deer. I grew up in PG and never saw that many aroung PG. Try Fox rd off of bobtail near Bednesti lake. Son and I saw a 4 point and a 3 point up there in Sept. Only spent a day hunting deer. Rest of time was hunting waterfowl.

dave_83golf
11-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Tod, as I said I'm from Kamloops, I'm just up in PG looking for a spot to hunt a few deer and get my feet dirty hiking around. Thanks for the input.... Appreciate it

EELK
11-13-2014, 03:37 PM
yeah its pretty poor here, try out batnuni I hear its not bad.

Boner
11-13-2014, 05:36 PM
LOL, everyone's pointing you away from their back yards. But its true. I've only shot dink bucks around here. And they just happened to be walking past me on moose hunting excursions. They are few and far between, at least where I hunt(when I do hunt around here).

Everyone I know that seriously deer hunts heads either East or South.

kebes
11-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Dave, same frustration here. I've spent a lot of time out since moving to PG (3 years) and I've seen very little for deer. This year I've seen very little period (one cow moose). I have found that the further south you head down the blackwater the more sign you see, but that's about all I've got. Good luck!

markomoose
11-13-2014, 11:56 PM
Head south Dave.It's sound advice!

Stainless
11-14-2014, 08:37 PM
I agree head south. There are deer here but you really have to work for them. I put in the most time of my short hunting career this year and only saw 5... All of them just south of town. I plan to head south next year!

todbartell
11-15-2014, 12:30 AM
Tod, as I said I'm from Kamloops, I'm just up in PG looking for a spot to hunt a few deer and get my feet dirty hiking around. Thanks for the input.... Appreciate it

Didn't mean to sound like a dink, but the PG isnt a mecca of deer hunting. There are deer, but unless you're hunting farmland that has some timber on it, you probably won't bump into many deer out in the bush. You definitely will get some hiking done under your belt trying

11-15-2014, 12:35 AM
Didn't mean to sound like a dink, but the PG isnt a mecca of deer hunting. There are deer, but unless you're hunting farmland that has some timber on it, you probably won't bump into many deer out in the bush. You definitely will get some hiking done under your belt trying

Yup, and I have access to just such land and it has still been a very slow year.

pete_k
11-15-2014, 12:39 AM
Blackwater was a good bet. But deer are scarce around here.
I'm from the Okanagan and would double tag my WT and MD almost every year.
I moved here 4 years ago and It's a different world up here.
50km radius of PG is skinny pickin's, even for the little 150lb spikers.

I don't think anyone was pointing you away. PG is just not a place to get your hopes up on tipping over a md.

killman
11-15-2014, 09:19 PM
Yes you did...

Not much for deer sightings.

Jesse_01
11-21-2014, 08:19 AM
I am usually good for a 3×3 plus every year with out trying to hard. There is some big deer inside city limits if your into bow hunting. You need to hang around the open farm land areas to see lots of deer. Blackwater has a big problem with wolves and predator animals. Not much for game animals like there use to be.
Head to vanderhoof, Mcbride, Dawson, quesnel.