PDA

View Full Version : Beyond embarrsassing move

srupp
11-12-2014, 07:54 PM
Hmmm went out this afternoon looking for a doe for my leh draw...found some bucks in rut and some does....dug my .270 out of its case deer were 60 yards away..
Found my trigger lock still on and locked...key was safetly at home..
Deer were safetly on their way also...
And...so how was your day...lol
Cheers
Srupp

DarekG
11-12-2014, 07:58 PM
Ouch!

My day was worse though, a bad day hunting is better than a good day at work.

Spy
11-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Lol that sucks

Whonnock Boy
11-12-2014, 08:03 PM
My partner showed up at camp this weekend, and soon realized he was in the same predicament. A few minutes with the tool kit, and he was in business. He really thought his weekend was screwed!!! Luckily I had watched a youtube vid showing how it's done.

nano
11-12-2014, 08:05 PM
I have had that happen when I went out duck hunting a few years ago. At the time I was mad with myself but now I look back and find it funny!

srupp
11-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Hmmm seen that video also...served me as a good reminder..first day out looking for does it could have been over in 30 minutes...
Sometimes a guy can be over prepared..overcautious...
Steven

blackford
11-12-2014, 08:09 PM
Happened to me this year but with grouse. I thought I could still fire the gun with the lock on so I figured why not... Anyhow it Dosent work...

so so I started chucking stones at the birds... Only to have some guys on a quad watching me and laughing....

Bugle M In
11-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Hmmm went out this afternoon looking for a doe for my leh draw...found some bucks in rut and some does....dug my .270 out of its case deer were 60 yards away..
Cheers
Srupp

thanks for the laugh! so, since you are at home, can u pm me where those bucks where!:mrgreen:
Buddy went up Princeton a few weeks ago...loaded with camper and quads on a trailer, 11:30pm, 20 clicks in and the tranny drops out!
1000$ bucks to be towed home, wife has to come up to tow out trailer w/quads and 3g to repair tranny!....ouch!

Rob Chipman
11-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Don't feel bad. Bailed early from work Friday to hit the interior. Driving through the Valley I thought "did I throw my boots in the truck?".

Had to go back to North Van. So much for the early start and the afternoon hunt :-)

buckguy
11-12-2014, 08:22 PM
I can relate. I somehow managed to misplace my magazine (Savage 270 ) after a hike, went back to truck to move to a new spot. went to grab my rifle and can't find clip. Bonehead move there, best as I can figure left it on truck bed rail. Cost me a little pride and $50 to get a new one. Wife giggling at me, as I could never understand how hunters loose their magazine. Now I know.:oops:

srupp
11-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Hmm no matter how long you do this hunting stuff...poop jumps up from time to time...I wasnt mad just embarrassed..laughed then and now...it happens..it was just a really big healthy doe..it could have been a booner buck..im retired every day is a weekend to me..will try again tomorrow..lock is already off..
Some really huge bucks coming out of Horsefly..2 crankers off Horsefly mtn..Lemon lake area..
Srupp

Fred1
11-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Whats a trigger lock!?!?! Yup years ago on a deer trip in Bills Puddle I had one of those stupid things on my gun - lost the key. The dude at Chilcotin Guns showed me the keyless entry method with a little screwdriver - stupid easy! Threw every one of those stupid locks in the garbage.

Drillbit
11-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Why do you have a trigger lock on a Non-restricted rifle?

They only work for kids that can't read yet.

Happened to me once with a handgun. Poked it off and was good to go.
Bought combo ones after that, leave the combo on 0 0 0 and only move one when I have to transport them. Legal and simple solution.

Bugle M In
11-12-2014, 08:35 PM
Hmm no matter how long you do this hunting stuff...poop jumps up from time to time...I wasnt mad just embarrassed..laughed then and now...it happens..it was just a really big healthy doe..it could have been a booner buck..im retired every day is a weekend to me..will try again tomorrow..lock is already off..
Some really huge bucks coming out of Horsefly..2 crankers off Horsefly mtn..Lemon lake area..
Srupp

Man..is that what retirement creates?? tons of honesty coming from you on spots for guys to try etc.
Thanks for that, many of us appreciate what you post and your help for the new guys.
Cheers

huntinnewbie
11-12-2014, 08:37 PM
My understanding is trigger locks are not required to transport non restricted. We keep ours in a large gun safe that is bolted to the concrete wall but when travelling they are just in the gun cases and hidden out of sight unless actively hunting. I don't see any rules regarding trigger locks for transporting,
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/storage-entreposage-eng.htm
Am i missing something?

srupp
11-12-2014, 08:42 PM
Hmm the doe is for showing a new hunter how to butcher game, the roasts, steaks, burger is for my sister.I truly enjoy passing on our hunting heritage.
Got an amazing book sent to me from the Wounded Warriors from this past springs bear hunting..the day was amazing in spite of the lock..nothing had to happen to make it hunting..the harvest was just the gravy..great afternoon with hunting buddy, laughing learning ...fun..sometimes healthy to laugh even if its at yourself..
Steven

The trigger lock was on from home..just forgot to take it off prior to leaving our home..

Buckmeister
11-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Lol, that's why I recommend to everyone that for a few extra bucks, if it's not the same price already, buy the locks with a 3 digit combo code.

But even a combo code lock won't help if your like my old man who went hunting and forgot his rifle at home...d'oh!!!!

On the 31st of Oct a buddy went hunting with me and another pal and he forgot his key at home. Was probably a good thing cause he doesn't know the difference between whitetails and mule deer. While out for a walk he saw some mule deer does but he called them whitetails. I know he was anxious to shoot a whitetail doe and I'm afraid he would have shot one of the muley does had he had his gun operational. Not good.

Big Lew
11-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Steve, which is worse, your situation with the trigger lock, or my Dad leaving his bolt at home?
One of my brothers left all his bullets behind once, including his full clip....fortunately he had the same
caliber as me and could still feed in one at a time.

Sylus
11-12-2014, 09:18 PM
2 stories:

One time I was out small game hunting with my 22 and I was fiddling with the mag as I hiked along. About a half hour later I got back to the truck and found my mag was not in the gun! I guess with my fiddling I had unclipped it without noticing and the damn thing fell out. Ended up finding it after a wasted hour. I had a new appreciation for hinged floor plates after that incident.

Story 2. Was doing some recreational shooting and when we got to our spot my brother realized one of the guns was locked up and we didn't have the key (the only gun we brought out that didn't have a combo lock). We ended up jamming a can opener from a leatherman in the lock and wiggling it till it popped of. Lock is a bit rough now but it was definitely worth not being down a gun that day!

Bugle M In
11-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Lol, that's why I recommend to everyone that for a few extra bucks, if it's not the same price already, buy the locks with a 3 digit combo code.

But even a combo code lock won't help if your like my old man who went hunting and forgot his rifle at home...d'oh!!!!

On the 31st of Oct a buddy went hunting with me and another pal and he forgot his key at home. Was probably a good thing cause he doesn't know the difference between whitetails and mule deer. While out for a walk he saw some mule deer does but he called them whitetails. I know he was anxious to shoot a whitetail doe and I'm afraid he would have shot one of the muley does had he had his gun operational. Not good.

Uh Yaaaaaaaaa????
And what about us old guys once we get up there and have forgotten what the combo # was????
And we also have forgotten where we put that lil card that had that number on it????!!!!
Hell, I consider carrying a dongle, you know, for those people who have fallen and can't get up any more......getting old sucks!
No more locks for me!, not after this thread.
And, don't forget the guy who had to bust open his window to get the keys he left in the ignition with the doors locked ,just to get back home!
Probably a good book could be made from all the stuff that happens just to have a little fun in the woods!

killman
11-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Lol, I went hunting yesterday and discovered I forgot the cable lock on the Marlin. Had to chop it off with a axe and rock.

huntcoop
11-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Hmmm what's more embarrassing, having a trigger lock on your gun, in the case, in your truck WHILE hunting or posting it on a hunting forum for the world to read.... :lol: well done Steven.

SAVAGEONE
11-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Cheers
Srupp
lol, been there done that, ahah :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Salty
11-12-2014, 10:31 PM
There was a brief time where I used trigger locks on rifles when storage rules came in. And then I bought a safe. Haven't used one of the idiotic things on a rifle in 15 years and don't miss it.

Dirty30-30
11-12-2014, 10:42 PM
Yup I learned my lesson with those damn things. Ultimately cost me a nice 4 point! Tossed mine in the metal bin!

Tīɡ
11-12-2014, 10:43 PM
i always roll with combo locks, no keys to forget or fiddle with. but that's just my preference! glad you still had a good day out!

adriaticum
11-12-2014, 10:52 PM
How could you... :-D

Little Red Man
11-12-2014, 11:06 PM
D'oh!....been there done that also....like everyone else....bought a safe (two actually....collection getting bigger as I get older) and then they all went into the garbage after that.

Further embarrassment for me. Took my 11 year old son for a quick afternoon hunt the other day....I was anxious to get out into the field and he was busy with a beef jerky and Dr. Pepper snack....was so distracted trying to get his ass out of the truck, I indeed locked the keys in the it....good thing we were were only about 5 clicks or so from home. Had a nice walk home and a great hour and a bit chat with him about all things important to an 11 year old.....found a dude with a slim jim and a 4x4 to take me back up to the truck and unlock it.....but not for free....200 bucks!!.....used to have a hide a key on ALL my vehicles...the new one though has all that electronic crap on it that it costs about 300 bucks and is not weather resistant.....

chilcotin hillbilly
11-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Thats what happens when you get out of Susan's eye sight. Its like a full time job for her now that you are retired. It was nice of you to give a little time off. It is a nice book jeff sent. I got one today as well.

000buck
11-12-2014, 11:50 PM
Every thing with a lock has a spare key..... Buddy showed up on the weekend with his quad and no key, where's the spare? Hanging on the key hook at home. Where's my spare keys? In my friggin truck where I'll be when I find out I was stupid enough to leave the (key at home/ lock on) or lose my key in the bush. Pre planning for the inevitable stupidity wards it off like holy water on a vampire. 2 cents

landphil
11-12-2014, 11:56 PM
used to have a hide a key on ALL my vehicles...the new one though has all that electronic crap on it that it costs about 300 bucks and is not weather resistant.....

Provided your vehicle still has a conventional lock tumbler for at least the driver's door, you can get a plain metal (non-transponder) key made to stash on the vehicle. It will open your door, and save your butt if you lock your keys inside the vehicle - for the usual $3-4. It won't start the engine, or help you if you loose the keys though.

hunter fisher
11-13-2014, 06:33 AM
hahah! steeeeeeeveee!!!!!!!

boblly1
11-13-2014, 07:10 AM
I knew I fellow that tried to jump out of his vehicle on a forest service road to harvest an animal but still had his seatbelt on he hung there until another hunter came by stop and help him right the situation needless to say the deer just laughed and walked away

srupp
11-13-2014, 07:28 AM
Hmmm spare truck key..check..spare trailer keys check..spare atv key check, spare hitch lock check
Spare gun lock key..notsomuch..
Hmm seems Im not alone in these moments..lol
Yes Doug great book..Jeff fooled me thought it was one of his knives,, book is waaaaaaay cool!
Srupp

Walksalot
11-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Without a bout Lady Luck turned Her back on you and wrapped Her arms lovingly around some doe's neck.

Cdn-Redneck
11-13-2014, 08:55 AM
This is why I bought combination trigger locks.

Wild one
11-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Cheers
Srupp

Thank you Steve you made my morning lol

Stone Sheep Steve
11-13-2014, 09:19 AM
They say the first thing to go is the body....followed soon by the mind.;)

At least you can get a trigger lock off.
Try making a new bolt in the field:oops:

SSS

timbermilton
11-13-2014, 12:18 PM
Few weeks back, left home 4am in a hurry to get up to my spot. Get there, 6:30am, grab gear to hike in only to realize I left my quiver full of arrows by the front door. Got a bow quiver for my longbow in the mail right now.

finngun
11-13-2014, 12:33 PM
Why do you have a trigger lock on a Non-restricted rifle?
Happened to me once with a handgun. Poked it off and was good to go.
Bought combo ones after that, leave the combo on 0 0 0 and only move one when I have to transport them. Legal and simple solution.

when you combo trigger lock is on...withouth moving any number.just snapped it on..is it still legal:confused:

mikeboehm
11-13-2014, 12:48 PM
all you need is zap tie to get into the trigger lock

sherpa-Al
11-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Quaded in 20km, parked and hiked in 3-4km up the riverbed to bowhunt late season moose, spotted a bull bedded down, perfect spot for a stalk, got all of my gear ready to go except for my release which was back in the truck. That sucked.

Al

Drillbit
11-13-2014, 01:04 PM
when you combo trigger lock is on...withouth moving any number.just snapped it on..is it still legal:confused:

No. Just set them to 0 0 0 and then only turn 1 number. Like to 0 0 1. Then it's legal.

No need for a trigger lock on a non-restricted though.

andrewscag
11-13-2014, 04:34 PM
You don't keep your key on your truck key ring? I'd lose mine for sure if it was just loose. Have one on both keyrings, one in the ammo can, and one stashed with the truck spare.

J-Man
11-13-2014, 05:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P397UsoyNBc
They all just pop off, I have bucket of locks and only 3 keys left. I just keep a screwdriver in the side door of the truck. My two main guns I keep the ones I still have keys for though. The rest of the keys fell out on some logging road around Williams Lake.

Crackshot007
11-13-2014, 05:16 PM
That's why I use combo lock...conveniently on sale right now at CT!!

kennyj
11-13-2014, 08:09 PM
LOL is right. Hey who hasn't done that, or something similar. At least it wasn't a huge buck you missed out on.
kenny

srupp
11-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Hmm harvested a dry large doe this afternoon...so going south for moose..
Still have goat tag and elk antlerless for Dawson Creek..
Hmm thank goodness for Tim..cane and dragging a deer out isnt pleasant.
Cheers
Steven

chilcotin hillbilly
11-13-2014, 09:48 PM
Good job, sounds like you are filling your freezer.

Buckmeister
11-13-2014, 10:44 PM
Hmm harvested a dry large doe this afternoon...so going south for moose..
Still have goat tag and elk antlerless for Dawson Creek..
Hmm thank goodness for Tim..cane and dragging a deer out isnt pleasant.
Cheers
Steven

Nicely done! Guess it all worked out after all.

RB2
11-13-2014, 11:44 PM
That's why I switched to combination locks. I lose keys all the time.

sawmill
11-14-2014, 12:42 AM
I can relate. I somehow managed to misplace my magazine (Savage 270 ) after a hike, went back to truck to move to a new spot. went to grab my rifle and can't find clip. Bonehead move there, best as I can figure left it on truck bed rail. Cost me a little pride and $50 to get a new one. Wife giggling at me, as I could never understand how hunters loose their magazine. Now I know.:oops:

Meh,I`ve lost one too,just drop a shell down the hole,you only need one shot..

crazybushcreature
11-14-2014, 08:58 AM
I was at canadian tire yesturday and they had the master lock trigger combo locks on sale. Regular $13 somethin on for like $8. Got them on all my guns. No keys to deal with. Now just dont forget the combination lol.