PDA

View Full Version : South Surrey/Cloverdale Waterfowlers

DROC
11-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Hey all,

I thought that I would set up a thread for waterfowlers in South Surrey and Cloverdale. I have been hunting a private farm for a couple years and I can hear a lot of hunters in the area. It would be cool if we could share nesting sites flight paths etc.

It's the first cold snap of the season and I can already see the geese flying lower and moving earlier in the evening. Looks like a lot of geese are moving inland from Boundary Bay and moving north to south in the evening from the fields around birdies and buckets on King George.

Anyone have anything to contribute?

J-Man
11-11-2014, 10:10 PM
I shot a limit tonight on the public lands right after sunset. Seeing lots of swans but only 1 goose tonight. Most of the geese are usually out at the coal port.

Beaves84
11-12-2014, 10:49 PM
I seem to see most flying in no shooting zones north of the nick. Got my first ever honker yesterday, along with another friend and we ended up with a few ducks. Seems to be a lot of birds in the air just before legal light. As well noted quite a few Swans in the air today with large #'s of honkers again in the no shooting zone of the ridge along south surrey. Just cant get them to turn to my spread which I know some can see, just will not commit to it. Need to get some more privileges to some land for next year...

DROC
11-12-2014, 11:28 PM
I see most of the birds in the evening right at sunset. A lot of geese are spending the night in some of the larger puddles East of 176th. It'll be interesting to see how things change as the season progresses and some of the veggies in the fields start to soften up. Don't worry Beaves84, I can't get them to land in my spread either and I'm normally catching them in the am as they look for food. The decoys have to be stellar and the flagging and calls have to be spot on. The best I can do is get small groups to circle low enough for some shots.

I've also noticed a lot of shooting after legal time. Two nights ago, there had to have been over 30-40 shots 15-20 min after legal time. Kind of a shame because hunting is the easiest at that time but it's setting us all up for more visits from local COs.

LupieHunter
11-13-2014, 07:25 AM
If you're hearing shots after legal time call it into the RAPP line.

Moe.JKU
11-13-2014, 10:43 AM
Its been really great lately lots of birds moving. You just got to get your promission and find a decent puddle and let the birds have it. Hardest part is getting permission the birds are fairly good. We have had to wack 2 yotes this year as they are getting into the chicken barn, so don't forget a buck shot or two in the blind.

Beaves84
11-13-2014, 04:49 PM
Its been really great lately lots of birds moving. You just got to get your promission and find a decent puddle and let the birds have it. Hardest part is getting permission the birds are fairly good. We have had to wack 2 yotes this year as they are getting into the chicken barn, so don't forget a buck shot or two in the blind.

2nd that on the dogs sat on a new blind yesterday don't really have my bearing to my surrounding yet and the bugger came in to 20-25 yards but I wasn't ready for him. I'll get him next time, btw it's kinda hard to put a stalk on a dog when. You have to crops a corn field to get with in shotgun range. I wish we could use single projectiles(in a safe manner)

also so those guys shooting late at 168th and 50th area I've already had discussion with the co just waiting to catch the pricks. It's hard enough to hunt in the city let alone legally. So why f*** everyone else over, my $.02

Ranger95
11-13-2014, 06:27 PM
Loads of geese all over the show right now - all you need is tons of real estate to hunt!

nano
11-13-2014, 06:52 PM
My brother And myself have been doing well with the ducks with just a single mojo set up. We were able to get one goose last Tuesday. The geese have been spending the midday in our fields. Should be getting really good this weekend with this cold spell

Sarge789
11-15-2014, 01:26 PM
I'm from the area, but didn't know of any public land to shoot? We usually head out to the Ladner area to hunt the tidal.. No honey holes or anything, but what's the general area of public huntable land? I live right up near the border. PM me if need be!

Edit:

For those who have asked local farmers permission, are they fairly receptive? I've always wanted to but am sheepish at being a bother!

J-Man
11-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Saw a cock pheasant on the dyke walking back after the morning hunt. Lots of honkers out today all heading to Surrey along the water. Nailed 4 mallards and 2 widgeon, called in my biggest flock - 30 widgeons. All decoyed nicely and came down, I was hoping for some double headers in that group. No wind and sunny day I was surprised at the action but the publics were a bit busy.

Goose T404
11-15-2014, 03:06 PM
I'm from the area, but didn't know of any public land to shoot? We usually head out to the Ladner area to hunt the tidal.. No honey holes or anything, but what's the general area of public huntable land? I live right up near the border. PM me if need be!

Edit:

For those who have asked local farmers permission, are they fairly receptive? I've always wanted to but am sheepish at being a bother!

I am also curious as to where the public land is in the area

Jman, its an absolute beauty of a day out today and sounds like you had a good hunt this morning. id be out whackin birds too if I wasn't working

DROC
11-15-2014, 11:25 PM
Lots of frozen puddles in the fields right now. Ducks in my area are stuffed in the ditches. Should be able to jump a bunch tomorrow morning.
J-Man, are you using dekes in the dyke? Always want to as there are a shitload of mallards in my area and some really good spots to set up. How we'll do they stay put with the current?

J-Man
11-15-2014, 11:47 PM
I use 2x robo's and 6x field standing decoys, I setup at the edge of the sand on the flattest grassy area - if there are some deepish puddles I break all the ice and toss in a couple of floaters (I only have 2 floaters). If its high tide my buddy will bring 6 more floaters. My minimum spread is just the 2 robos if I can't find a good spot. But I get more action with the robos and the 6 standing. I'll put the 6 off to the side, robos coming in together to the left. Then everything so far that decoys will come in and land behind them. So 30-40 feet of grass from me to the first decoy. If the runway is shitty I'll stomp it down. I did have 3 today land in the grass off to my left parallel to me, farther then I like shooting. I just sort of stared at them, why did you go over there all the fun is here out in front.

J-Man
11-15-2014, 11:56 PM
In the area I was there were 3 other groups hunting.
- 1 solo no call, no decoys, not much shooting and all sky busting. Never saw a thing drop
- 2 guys great calling, no decoys, decent amount of shooting, never saw a thing drop. They were coming over, but not slowing down
- 2 guys some calling, decoys like ours. They were pass shooting a bit, but I could see birds decoying high. There spread didn't leave a runway anywhere. But they were getting them and appeared to do the same or better then myself.

FirePower
11-16-2014, 09:46 AM
In the area I was there were 3 other groups hunting.
- 1 solo no call, no decoys, not much shooting and all sky busting. Never saw a thing drop
- 2 guys great calling, no decoys, decent amount of shooting, never saw a thing drop. They were coming over, but not slowing down
- 2 guys some calling, decoys like ours. They were pass shooting a bit, but I could see birds decoying high. There spread didn't leave a runway anywhere. But they were getting them and appeared to do the same or better then myself.

Keep up your advertising campaign Laddie, and next time it will 30 groups and all sky busting, and you will only have your self to thank, It was a great area a few years ago.

J-Man
11-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Last i checked the bay, ladner and the pitt marsh weren't a secret. This laddie is 3rd generation LML Hunter with over 25 years. I teach, bring people out and post on social media because we need more hunters.

Anyways slow day today only 3 for our group, one was a nice pintail drake. Just weren't coming in off the water today like yesterday. Saw 3 other groups out. Looked like everyone shot about the same.

howa1500
11-16-2014, 07:30 PM
J-man, I think I saw your setup today, with robos fluttering. I took your suggrstion and went for a jog. The water was so far out, skies were blue, and the birds were rafting pretty far out.

J-Man
11-16-2014, 09:51 PM
Yea tide started coming in about 930am, by 11 when I left it was in pretty close. Got a nice tan but very little coming inland past about 9am. Lots like you said on the water going back and forth, big group of swans were out.

Sako 75
11-17-2014, 12:49 AM
Last i checked the bay, ladner and the pitt marsh weren't a secret. This laddie is 3rd generation LML Hunter with over 25 years. I teach, bring people out and post on social media because we need more hunters.

Anyways slow day today only 3 for our group, one was a nice pintail drake. Just weren't coming in off the water today like yesterday. Saw 3 other groups out. Looked like everyone shot about the same.

That is good of you, J-Man bringing out new hunters out. I usually post open invitation around December to bring out new waterfowl hunters too.

FirePower
11-17-2014, 08:42 AM
That is good of you, J-Man bringing out new hunters out. I usually post open invitation around December to bring out new waterfowl hunters too.

You are commended for that we also mentor new hunters both big game and waterfowl every year. There is nothing wrong with answering questions through PMs, however, there is a huge a difference between that and posting up "daily" informations and reports on an area for the world to see, remember this site has more "guests" than members at any given time, almost double as I post, and I suspect that more than a few are of less than stellar ethical values. Just take a look at what Ladner has become on weekends and evening, or should I say night time.

bandit
11-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Keep up your advertising campaign Laddie, and next time it will 30 groups and all sky busting, and you will only have your self to thank, It was a great area a few years ago.

I have read this thread too top to bottom 3 times and really can't see much information on hot spots or honey holes and only a vague mention of general areas.

For what it's worth I've hunted lower mainland for 5 seasons, there are definitely some better public areas and some not so good. And within General areas there are spots where ducks regularly fly and spots where they don't. As with big game hunting you need to work those out for yourself. And the best advice to avoid sky busters- walk as far from the truck as possible!!

DROC
11-19-2014, 11:34 PM
There haven't been GPS coordinates provided here for those of you concerned about losing your precious hunting ground. In fact, the majority of land in south surrey and surrounding area are private farms so chat away as you can't hunt most of these honey holes without permission. Wanted to start this thread to build a community outside of the typical Ladner/delta crew. There are some awesome spots/opportunities in south surrey, Cloverdale and parts of Langley and I look forward to hearing about some successes and struggles coming out of this area.

There's shooting up and down the Nic every weekend so it would be nice to get to know the hunters in the area.

fowl language
11-20-2014, 08:18 AM
for the land that is not already leased by the big clubs any area east of highway I along the nickelmeckel river is the place if you have permission. have had some great shoots there over the years

J-Man
11-20-2014, 12:10 PM
For the privates are you just door knocking? I've thought about it, but I always assumed the farmers would be annoyed.

lorneparker1
11-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Other then knocking how else would you do it? Paper airplane with a letter from the street?

In my experience 95% of farmers are easy to talk to. 5% are grumpy. Ive gotten permission from both groups.

Lorne

J-Man
11-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Lorne, I was assuming the properties are owned by friends or friends of friends so invite basis. Meaning you have to have an in with the farmer, that they weren't interested with walk ups. I've only asked to hunt farms in Vanderhoof area before, and my cold calls were met with "get the f*ck off my property" and many other explicits. Turned me off cold calls.

Moe.JKU
11-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Ive always just caught them when they were out in their front yard and they are easy to talk to usually. you will get the odd guy having a bad day but thats life. i rent from a guy that owns farmland in cloverdale area, thats how i got my 3 fields there.

lorneparker1
11-20-2014, 04:31 PM
Lorne, I was assuming the properties are owned by friends or friends of friends so invite basis. Meaning you have to have an in with the farmer, that they weren't interested with walk ups. I've only asked to hunt farms in Vanderhoof area before, and my cold calls were met with "get the f*ck off my property" and many other explicits. Turned me off cold calls.

You will still get the " get the f off my property" from time to time. but who cares! To me it takes a few no's before you get a yes. SO I look at every no as 1 step closer to a yes. And yes sometimes you need an IN. A lot of time that in, is another farmer.... so you need permission somewhere. I got quite a few places to hunt over here and I am very lucky ot have them and thank my lucky stars. But It was a grind. I have 5-7 places to hunt and probably knocked on 50 doors.. so that's 45 no's.

Don't get discouraged.

Lorne

Sako 75
11-20-2014, 07:12 PM
The problem with South Surrey/ Cloverdale farms is most of it in blueberry production and there are very few open vegetable and dairy farms left. Tough places to get permission to hunt on these few remaining open fields to hunt ducks.

Foxton Gundogs
11-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Wow I hauled hay from V-hoof for 5 years and shot farms I both knew and did not. I was turned down by a few who were commited to outfitters but never once did I get a rude answer to my question, maybe depends how and when you approach them??