PDA

View Full Version : Tarp no Tarp?

Black Bird
11-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Hi folks,

I have a question about hanging deer. Backstory first:

I have been hanging and butchering deer for the past 8 years. The deer have all been either blacktail or fallow. For the first few years I hung deer outside and my concern was always that it was going to get too warm. For me, the cut off point was 9C. Once it got above that temperature I started to notice that the deer would be in danger of going off so I would butcher it right away. For the past number of years I have been using an old fridge which holds a constant temperature of between 4C-6C. I quarter the deer, put it in smaller game bags, and leave it in the fridge for a week or so. Then, up to my kitchen counter to butcher.

I got lucky this year and got an antlerless draw in Region 3. I Saturday, I harvested my first mule deer. She was huge (well, at least from my reference points of blacktail and fallow)! So, we bagged and hung her in camp for the past few days in Region 3 where it got as cold as about -8C at night. I am now back in Vancouver and the deer is hanging in my backyard. Right now, it is about 7C plus a bit windy and over the next few days it is going to be clear with a temperature between -3C and +5C. I have never had to worry about freezing before. Vancouver just doesn't get that cold. The problem for me is that even if I quarter her I am not sure that I am going to be able to fit her into my deer fridge. She is just too large.

So, I lightly wrapped a tarp around the deer to help it stay just a touch warmer. It is loose, so airflow is not restricted. What I am asking is if that is a good idea or should I not worry about the freezing and just let the game bag do its thing? My concern about the tarp is that I might be trapping in moisture even though I think I am getting enough airflow.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
BB

Hanrahan
11-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Well, I shot a whitetail a few years ago in ON and hung it for a few days because I had to work and couldn't butcher it right away. Arctic front came through and it went to -20 overnight. Froze the thing solid. Then it stayed well below zero for at least a week. I didn't have a garage to bring it in to thaw, so had to wait it out. Long story short, it didn't affect the meat at all. Tasted no different than any other whitetail I'd shot. I wouldn't worry if it happens to freeze. I don't hang deer unless I don't have time to butcher though. Most times I get it home, hang it overnight and butcher it the next day if I can.

f350ps
11-11-2014, 04:05 PM
These temps are perfect weather for hanging meat. The only thing I'd worry about is condensation inside the tarp but if there's enough airflow it won't be a problem. K

Singleshotneeded
11-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Heat is your enemy, not cold. Early in the season you might want to leave the fur on and dump it into an icy mountain creek before you bring it home, but when it's cold you're laughing...

chinook
11-11-2014, 05:19 PM
It wont freeze at that temp. It will be fine, tarp or no tarp.

burger
11-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Let it freeze. I have a nice whitey in my freezer all quartered up that I will as needed pull out a quarter then thaw and make sausage. Might even freeze again. No problem

bcsteve
11-11-2014, 09:21 PM
What are you waiting for to butcher it?

Cordillera
11-11-2014, 10:04 PM
It seems unlikely to freeze unless it stays below zero for more than 24 hours. At temperatures near zero, the process of breaking down the tissue takes longer so you can safely hang an animal for a while. I would definitely avoid the tarp and make sure you get max ventilation around the animal.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
11-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Tarp traps heat .. you want the meat to cool. dont use it .

tinhorse
11-11-2014, 11:40 PM
Get rid of the tarp. Absolutely no need at all. Only thing it will do is keep moisture in which will allow bacteria and mild to grow. These are the perfect hanging temps that you could ask for.

Black Bird
11-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies! I took the tarp off, took the game bag off, gave it a light wipe down with vinegar and water, and then put a fresh game bag back on it. It is partially frozen (temperatures down to around -3C at night in East Van - colder with windchill). I will butcher it tomorrow with a friend in the afternoon. Hopefully it will have warmed up a little so the meat is not so frozen. BCSteve, I let the deer hang or keep it in a fridge for about a week as I find that it makes the meat more tender. If I butcher right away I often find that the deer is a little rubbery. However, that is just my experience and I am sure that other butcher right away without an issue. Hopefully the image of the hanging deer appears below. Otherwise, I will edit it to try and get it right. I have put a few images on this site before so you think I would remember by now...

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b514/1blackbird1/IMG_0910_zps27683f5f.jpg (http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/1blackbird1/media/IMG_0910_zps27683f5f.jpg.html)