PDA

View Full Version : A Great Big Thank You!

WesHarm
11-10-2014, 07:13 PM
As someone who had absolutely zero idea about guns, hunting, or fishing for that matter when I originally signed up for this forum, I would like to personally thank everyone that responds on this site for all the information I have gained from all of you.

I finally (after years of saving/timing issues) finally have enough money saved to (as i think it) start this wonderful life style for myself. I recently took and passed my CORE course! I don't think I would have been nearly as prepared for the course as I was without all the information this site has provided me!

Now after all the pleasantries... the age old question becomes what to buy as my first rifle. Im stuck between a .22lr or a 30-06. The reason being, with no previous experience, and no-one already in my life to mentor me i'm a little nervous to take a large game animal by myself. So i was thinking of starting with a .22 for grouse and rabbits and the like. Any suggestions? Im not quite financially viable to get both yet :P

PS i live in North Van, and am very much willing to drive to anyone if there willing to let me tag along on one of their hunts or to take me out for a little ABC's of hunting technique in the bush.

All in all,
THANK YOU!!!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

kilometers
11-10-2014, 07:51 PM
.22! Their cheap, ammo is cheap. Their fun, great practise. Get a banana clip and blast some targets.

landphil
11-10-2014, 08:13 PM
^^ KM, you mean .22 ammo used to be cheap, now its when you can find it, unfortunately.

But, I agree, you'd be better off starting with .22 and lots of shooting practice with it, then some small game to break you in easy. Work your way up from there, into a full-blown addiction. :)

avadad
11-10-2014, 10:37 PM
I'd recommend doing a search on this site for hunting buddies. There is a thread there that could help you find a mentor. Also go to youtube and search for proguide66. He has a bunch of videos posted that could be a great assistance to a new hunter pursuing blacktail deer. Good luck! Its a fascinating sport that you can enjoy for many years.

Firstblood
11-11-2014, 02:24 PM
A 22 is a great option but as was mentioned before, ammo is hard to come by these days, stores sell out quick and don't get any more for weeks if not longer, and even limit what you can buy at one time, wholesale had it down to 100 rounds at one point. with all the improvements in air guns, a high powered air rifle would be as good as a .22. you can even shoot in your backyard depending on where you live. They make air guns in many different configurations from the good old .177 all the way up to .30 caliber shooting 140 grain "pellets" for big game. if i didn't already have two .22s that would be my choice. but then again there is something to say for mag dumping a banana clip out of a 10/22. Im still lookin for a 100 round drum to up the giggle factor a couple notches.

LupieHunter
11-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Next summer you should look into the BCWF Region 2 new Hunter course. Go to the BCWF website or contact fowl language on here for more info. We put it on in September and is a general intro to all things hunting.

LupieHunter
11-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Also have you passed and gotten your PAL yet (wasn't mentioned in your post)? If not best to get is asap as it takes a while to get it and you need it to buy a firearm.

Tīɡ
11-11-2014, 06:09 PM
22lr would be my recommendation, they are less expensive than centerfires to purchase and feed ammo through. But they allow you to learn all the fundamentals and what goes into making a shot. Also it will teach you the respect of what the cartridge you are firing can do in regards to ethical and effective range, since its not hard to find an area with the distance to watch the 22lr run out of steam. Then these skills and knowledge will all transfer over to your first centerfire, all that's left is to learn your new cartridge. Hope this helps!

DGuest
11-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Just to play some devils advocate. Why not a 12 ga.? You can take small game with it as well as big game especially if you pair it with rifled barrel. Ammo is readily available and you can pick up an 870 pretty cheap.

Not it that I run this sort of set up but then again I haven't hunted small game in 5 years so I stick with a rifle.

If you decide to go with a rifle I would highly recommend a husqvarna 1600 in 30-06. Great quality rifle, more than adequate accuracy, and it only costs about $500. Pm me if you want more info, I have one and love it.

clte
11-12-2014, 01:16 AM
Hey WesHarm I am a fellow NorthVan guy and also just got into the sport (finally got my PAL last week). I bought a Ruger 10/22 the other day and just ordered a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 PA scope and a 25 bullet mag to go along with it. (Wholesale sports has this scope for $150 off right now @ $350: http://www.wholesalesports.com/storefront/scopes/centerfire-rifle-scopes/viper/prod277430.html)

My vehicle is no good for most back country (Mustang) so I will be trying to tag along with the few others I know. Send me a PM... I don't have and trips planned yet though, am getting my gear in order.

WesHarm
11-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Lupie - Yes i've had my PAL for 4 years now, and I was actually going to message fowl asking if they were doing another one anytime soonish!

DGuest - TBH i never really htought about a shotgun as my real aim is generally just for big game in the long run, but you have peaked my interest, a shotgun does seem like it would be pretty versatile with all the loads available.

Thank you guys for the responses. Sounds like the .22 is the way to go if i can find a place with ammo!

brian
11-12-2014, 10:57 AM
A shotgun for big game as a first firearm? The natural upside to all the sh*t kicking your shoulder is going to get is that its limited range won't be hampered by your flinch too much. I'd recommend a 22LR or even a good air rifle and learn to shoot well. Then add all the bluster of recoil after you have a good foundation.

Phila
11-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Some 22 ammo has become available recently. Reliable Gun had stock a week ago when I was in there. You can check local store inventory on line for a number of retailers e.g. Canadian Tire, Wholesale Sports.

Cabelas will ship to you as well when you order on line, providing you provide your PAL number.

LupieHunter
11-14-2014, 07:37 PM
As of now we're just doing the one per year in September but it's been well received with the 2 we've done, so who knows, we may try and do another one and do 2 a year. We just started doing it last year.

bigredchev
11-15-2014, 10:23 AM
a great way to get to know people is the monthly hbc pub night in Langley first wed of every month.

clte
11-15-2014, 05:52 PM
As of now we're just doing the one per year in September but it's been well received with the 2 we've done, so who knows, we may try and do another one and do 2 a year. We just started doing it last year.

I missed it too but am a BCWF member and would love to get out to one.

Also there is 22 Ammo kicking around I bought some @ Canadian Tire (stock seemed high) and @ Italian Sporting Goods (though their stock was low).

RBH
01-03-2015, 07:25 PM
a 22 and a 30-06 is a great combo. Get out to a range and sight them in. I suggest 25 and 50 yds for the 22 and zero at 100 yds for the 30-06. Find a type of ammo that groups well out of your '06 (say 1.5" group for a 3 shot group @ 100 yds). I'm not sure what type of '06 you have and what sights/scope you have, but don't let that hang you up, even if they are iron sights. Most hunting shots will be surprising short range and well under 100 yds. And if you can group 2" at 100 (or even 3") you are doing fine for hunting if you stick with heart/lung shots ('know your limit and shoot within it'). I would start with cheap ammo like Winchester power points 150 grain or Remington core-lokt 150 grain. Shoot the 22 a lot more than the 06 or you may find that your shooting deteriorates as the range session progresses -- due to tiredness from the pounding and some flinching (although of course NONE of us flinch....haha).