PDA

View Full Version : Moose Hunt Tips

nelsonob1
11-10-2014, 06:55 PM
I am heading out moose hunting looking for a Immature bull in the Christina Lake area. This is my first moose hunting trip. I don't have any expectations and not looking for specific advice about where to go but any tips would be great, such as time of day, in clear cuts, in forest, better to walk, drive, sit. also I have never moose called but should I get a call and try this?

Thx in advance.

Steelpulse
11-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Look for them I'm new growth at high elevations, can't hurt to call but odds are less that one will come to a call, hope for a little snow and track them, they eat a lot of red willow, all day is a good time to hunt and walking in the bush

srupp
11-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Hmkm its about the food now..look for red willow..moose wont be far..they will be slightly higher..or in timber..drier..they dont like waterbeds..lol..if cold first thing at dawn moose will be on the edge of cut blocks meadows getting some sun..they need 40 pounds of feed a day..thats lots of feed..
Some cows may stil be open..some calling is warranted..look for the feed..check for tracks..big straightsplayed hooves with dewclaws..
During the day walk insode the treeline..15 yards....into the wind looking for bedded bulls..
Food...
Steven

blackwater moose
11-10-2014, 07:19 PM
call softly, sounds travels and moose hear very well. sit and wait after calling. have patience. patience will result in game down

coach
11-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Srupp , as always, has pretty much nailed it. Two more keys - spike/fork bulls are (in most cases) last year's calves. They often are found close to mom so if you see a cow, look hard for a second moose. - optics are your friend. Bring a spotter if you can. I've seen cases where guys looked at spike bulls and couldn't see antlers as well as times where fork bulls had "extra" 1-2" tines that made them 3 points and not legal to shoot.

fire13
11-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Been looking for the last week. Use caution spotted 2 that look like spike forks but are not legal. Optics rule.

nelsonob1
11-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Thank you all for the advice which is always so graciously given. It is always surprising how just a little of the right advice changes everything for the beginner.

I am excited to go give it a try and will let you know how I got on.

best, Oliver

kilometers
11-10-2014, 08:43 PM
They appear when you least expect it! Be ready at all times

Steelpulse
11-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Yep we hunted for a few hours seeing nothing, but knew there were moose around and eventually ended up chasing 7 moose around, one bull, 2 cows 3 calves, one of which was a nubbed bull, hair over the nubs so next year he's ours

srupp
11-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Hmmm good call on the optics..great advice...
Steven